Motherboard CD installation

R3dhors3

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I have the asus crosshair 4 formula and it came w/ a CD, should I use this CD or the one from the internet asus website. Do I need to flash the bios? Cause I saw they have a new bios version in their website, also teach me how to flash bios they said its the most dangeruos that you will do in the motherboard.This is the website http://support.asus.com/download/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us Do I need to install all of this im my computer?

Does the BIOS update offer anything that you need ?? (ie. is your CPU a new CPU that the old BIOS does not detect properly, does it fix any other issues, etc.) - read through the BIOS update notes to see why it was updated -- If not then NO you do not need to flash the BIOS (and as you mentioned if done wrong it could turn the MOBO into an expensive paper weight - so if not needed best to not do it if you are unsure of the process)

As for the CD it contains the chipset drivers but they are usually a bit out dated by the time you buy the MOBO so best to download the latest version from ASUS and use it instead. Same goes for the video card and it's included CD.

If you find you do need something from the new BIOS version then best to make sure the system is assembled and running for a bit (even if that is just running in DOS mode or running memtest to ensure things are stable) so you know it is not going to shut down during the Flash (since a power loss during the Flash can make the MOBO unuseable) -- Also not a good idea to try the Flash if there is bad weather (I know we are in the middle of a storm that is covering much of the US today !) which could cause a power outage also.

R3dhors3

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you for the answer, I don't realy know if I need something on the new version of the bios I only saw it will supports new CPU and My processor is 1100T X6, but when I click the details the new cpu they talking about is the atlon 64 and sempron.

Take a look at the CPU support list and see what version of the BIOS is needed for your CPU -- If you have at least that version then you probably do not need to Flash it but if not then you will need to so that it performs properly with your CPU. (otherwise it will just show as an unknown CPU and may cause problems) -- While Flashing the BIOS is a bit scary as long as you do not lose power during the process it usually goes well just be sure to read through the process and follow the steps given (One of the reasons I like Gigabyte MOBOs is they have dual BIOS chips so if flashing fails it will automatically fix itself from the secondary BIOS, so you do not have to worry about the process.)