GA-H67MA-UD2H and Sleep/Suspend

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble with sleep/suspend on a GA-H67MA-UD2H with an intel 2500k cpu. I am not sure if this is a problem with the BIOS, but the problem is occurring in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. In Windows 7 the sleep option is greyed out, and in Ubuntu sleep locks the screen, but the machine still seems to draw full power. Hibernate seems to be working in Windows but is again just locking the screen in Ubuntu. My ACPI suspend type is set to S3, which I believe was the default. Has anyone faced similar issues? Thanks for your help!

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Thanks for the welcome and the links! I purchased the k version because I had read that it had slightly better graphics. I don't think I should be overclocking if I can't get my computer to sleep...

According to passmark sleeper, S4 (Hibernate) is the only sleep state supported on the machine. This is the same message I got when running s2ram in Ubuntu.

There seem to be a number of power-related utilities on Gigabyte's site; might one of these help? I don't know what the difference is between a utility and a driver.

For the cost of the non-K you could get a GPU, the H67 cannot OC period. Since the P67/H67 recall you might want to look into a different MOBO that will support the K CPU; if you purchased ant Newegg they'll take it back no questions asked.

In the BIOS ACPI Suspend Type -> S3(STR) ; otherwise S1 in the Power Management.

As best as I can tell only S2 'may' not be supported. What 'add-ons' do you have attached to the MOBO?

Build_Chart_Q1-2011-1.jpg

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Thanks for the recommendation and the help.

I have a Logitech unifying receiver and a DIY DAC attached to USB 2.0 ports. I removed the DAC, but it did not resolve the problem.

ACPI Suspend Type is currently set to S3. Perhaps I should try S1?

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

This is very strange, but when I try to open the report in IE, my homepage comes up. Looking through the text file, it seems to be complaining a lot about a USB device, so perhaps that is the culprit.

To rule it out, while connected open the Device Manager, right-click and Disable, shut down then remove the 'USB device' then restart.

In my case my wife used some 'free coupons' site and a few files were stuck in the Spooler and not to any printer; disabled Spooler + removed the files, re-enabled Spooler and like magic sleep worked again.

In your case this 'seems' more like a driver issue than anything else, but work off that list -- it worked for me.

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Still no luck unfortunately. I do see a couple of warnings in device manager under 'other devices' though (SM Bus Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller), which I'll try to fix.

edit: SM Bus Controller is now updated with drivers from Gigabyte's website, but the PCI controller is still giving me a warning and is mentioned a number of times in the energy-report.

Also, this part of the energy-report that I missed is probably of interest: Platform Power Management Capabilities:Sleep is disabled because the VGA (vgapnp.sys) driver is loaded. I have no idea what this means, but it seems important.

I assume that you installed 'all' the drivers including Intel VGA driver. In the Device Manager right-click and delete the "PCI controller" and if the driver is installed then click the scan for new H/W. -- prepare yourself if the screen goes blank and position the mouse pointer over the 'scan' button; otherwise you might need to press the power button to force a restart.

As soon as you figure out what driver is missing I would image the problem will be resolved as well.

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

I will double check to make sure that I've downloaded all drivers, but I do have the VGA driver. Windows keeps telling me it's unable to locate a driver for the PCI Simple Communication Controller though. I have tried uninstalling and scanning for new hardware as well as the "update driver software" option.

Thanks so much for your time and assistance so far. This has been bugging me for a while.

In the Device Manager first delete the {PCI Simple Communication Controller} and Reinstall both the:
Intel INF installation
Intel Management Engine Interface

You can reinstall every driver on the GA Download page pertinent to your correct OS, it won't harm anything, but to be safe create a restore point before updating.

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Ahhh, I see. I had been relying on the Device Manager to update the drivers rather than manually installing them (this is my first time installing Windows). After installing a few drivers, my computer looks about a hundred percent better (I'm assuming this was the VGA driver) and sleep is now an option in the Shut Down menu.

Of course sleep is still not working properly as it's awaking immediately, but I'll work on that this evening. Thanks again and sorry for my ignorance!

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

We do seem to be making progress, though now the computer is just teasing me by pretending to go to sleep and then deciding against it.

I downloaded and installed all drivers from Gigabyte's site and am no longer seeing any errors in Device Manager.

I then ran powercfg -requests and saw that a USB device was preventing sleep, so I downloaded new drivers for my increasingly suspicious DAC. I ran the same command and am now seeing "None" for DISPLAY, SYSTEM, and AWAYMODE. I unplugged the DAC anyway after still failing to get the machine to sleep.

I generated another energy report, which I was able to open by moving it out of the system32 folder, and it mentioned USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend three times. The ID is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D and the location is PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0.

Do I need to look for another driver, or should I attempt to locate and disable the offending device in Device Manager?

Thanks for reading my memoir!

I had to move the file out of that fold as well...

That the Intel Chipset USB Driver. I assume that you re-enabled S3 in the BIOS.

Also, if you have 'Media Sharing' enabled then that will easily keep a PC from sleeping.

In my case I simply disabled it in File Sharing, but here's another method but I didn't do it this way ->
"Check out your Power Management Options on your Control Panel (Start, Control Panel, Power Settings, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings).
-> “Multimedia settings” option, “When sharing media.” ->”Allow the computer to sleep."

Trust me, sleep is on the fritz it tough to 'plug' the holes.

---

Windows needs an Option - "If I'm not using it - Turn the Damn thing off"

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

It seems like that option would save the world from a great deal of frustration. I've disabled everything I can find that can wake the computer from sleep, including the multimedia option. At this point I think I might place a few sleeping pills on the optical drive tray and hope for the best.

Things certainly look prettier since installing the graphics driver though!

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

In this case the monitor does go to sleep. The system fans and the power LED, however, remain on. Is this typical?

No! The PC is not in Sleep mode. When a PC sleeps it seems fully 'off' with the exception of a blinking LED; e.g. no fans are on.

If you run PassMark Sleeper it should 'force' sleep the PC.

--
Try a post at http://forums.tweaktown.com/ they're the GA experts and maybe there's something they can add to this, and please let me know the post. The above is my limits to fixing the problem, and I always like to learn something new.

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Will do. Thanks so much for your help so far. I'll let you know how it works out.

dan555

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

I gather that Q-Flash is not working well with the BIOS that they shipped with the MOBOs. I think I'm going to wait to flash the BIOS with one of the other methods until GB releases a few more iterations of the BIOS.

S1 seems to be working thanks to you, which is a relief. The one system fan I have connected directly to the PSU remains on, but everything else shuts down. This is considerably less annoying now that I've swapped the stock fan for a Nexus.

Have you tried the SYS_FAN header? I looked in your manual and there's only 2: CPU & SYS. I don't have a clue where the 'fan' is or if you have multiple fans, and the only place where it's awkward is a side panel fan.

Yeah, I get the BIOS flashing 'currently' available; F3 = 3TB+ HDD support, and I really hope that S3 can be used sometime in the future! Often not ALL of the BIOS improvements are listed or disclosed. To help yourself and others you might want to let GA know about the Sleep problems. It seems that others are having similar issues as well.

Good Luck! Let me know what happens. BTW - What did TT forum say? This helps me help others - Thanks!