Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GA-H67MA-UD2H and Sleep/Suspend

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 2, 2011 8:14:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble with sleep/suspend on a GA-H67MA-UD2H with an intel 2500k cpu. I am not sure if this is a problem with the BIOS, but the problem is occurring in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. In Windows 7 the sleep option is greyed out, and in Ubuntu sleep locks the screen, but the machine still seems to draw full power. Hibernate seems to be working in Windows but is again just locking the screen in Ubuntu. My ACPI suspend type is set to S3, which I believe was the default. Has anyone faced similar issues? Thanks for your help!
February 2, 2011 9:28:08 PM

jaquith said:
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Hmm...a K CPU with an H67.

First test Sleep with PassMark Sleeper -> http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm

Window FAQ - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Sleep-and-h...
--
Where I start:
MS Link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976877
Generate a report -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976034


Thanks for the welcome and the links! I purchased the k version because I had read that it had slightly better graphics. I don't think I should be overclocking if I can't get my computer to sleep...

According to passmark sleeper, S4 (Hibernate) is the only sleep state supported on the machine. This is the same message I got when running s2ram in Ubuntu.

There seem to be a number of power-related utilities on Gigabyte's site; might one of these help? I don't know what the difference is between a utility and a driver.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 10:25:34 PM

For the cost of the non-K you could get a GPU, the H67 cannot OC period. Since the P67/H67 recall you might want to look into a different MOBO that will support the K CPU; if you purchased ant Newegg they'll take it back no questions asked.

In the BIOS ACPI Suspend Type -> S3(STR) ; otherwise S1 in the Power Management.

As best as I can tell only S2 'may' not be supported. What 'add-ons' do you have attached to the MOBO?

m
0
l
February 2, 2011 11:26:05 PM

jaquith said:
For the cost of the non-K you could get a GPU, the H67 cannot OC period. Since the P67/H67 recall you might want to look into a different MOBO that will support the K CPU; if you purchased ant Newegg they'll take it back no questions asked.

In the BIOS ACPI Suspend Type -> S3(STR) ; otherwise S1 in the Power Management.

As best as I can tell only S2 'may' not be supported. What 'add-ons' do you have attached to the MOBO?


Thanks for the recommendation and the help.

I have a Logitech unifying receiver and a DIY DAC attached to USB 2.0 ports. I removed the DAC, but it did not resolve the problem.

ACPI Suspend Type is currently set to S3. Perhaps I should try S1?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 2, 2011 11:32:21 PM

The last link was the one that helped me identify a problem before - Generate a report -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976034

If installed, ignore the #-in-one Media Reader from the report, and otherwise look at the 'Error' section of the report.

Sure you can try the S1 and see what happen but run the report first.
m
0
l
February 2, 2011 11:52:14 PM

jaquith said:
The last link was the one that helped me identify a problem before - Generate a report -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976034

If installed, ignore the #-in-one Media Reader from the report, and otherwise look at the 'Error' section of the report.

Sure you can try the S1 and see what happen but run the report first.


This is very strange, but when I try to open the report in IE, my homepage comes up. Looking through the text file, it seems to be complaining a lot about a USB device, so perhaps that is the culprit.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 12:06:22 AM

To rule it out, while connected open the Device Manager, right-click and Disable, shut down then remove the 'USB device' then restart.

In my case my wife used some 'free coupons' site and a few files were stuck in the Spooler and not to any printer; disabled Spooler + removed the files, re-enabled Spooler and like magic sleep worked again.

In your case this 'seems' more like a driver issue than anything else, but work off that list -- it worked for me.
m
0
l
February 3, 2011 12:26:57 AM

jaquith said:
To rule it out, while connected open the Device Manager, right-click and Disable, shut down then remove the 'USB device' then restart.

In my case my wife used some 'free coupons' site and a few files were stuck in the Spooler and not to any printer; disabled Spooler + removed the files, re-enabled Spooler and like magic sleep worked again.

In your case this 'seems' more like a driver issue than anything else, but work off that list -- it worked for me.


Still no luck unfortunately. I do see a couple of warnings in device manager under 'other devices' though (SM Bus Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller), which I'll try to fix.

edit: SM Bus Controller is now updated with drivers from Gigabyte's website, but the PCI controller is still giving me a warning and is mentioned a number of times in the energy-report.

Also, this part of the energy-report that I missed is probably of interest: Platform Power Management Capabilities:Sleep is disabled because the VGA (vgapnp.sys) driver is loaded. I have no idea what this means, but it seems important.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 2:24:28 AM

I assume that you installed 'all' the drivers including Intel VGA driver. In the Device Manager right-click and delete the "PCI controller" and if the driver is installed then click the scan for new H/W. -- prepare yourself if the screen goes blank and position the mouse pointer over the 'scan' button; otherwise you might need to press the power button to force a restart.

As soon as you figure out what driver is missing I would image the problem will be resolved as well.
m
0
l
February 3, 2011 12:34:06 PM

jaquith said:
I assume that you installed 'all' the drivers including Intel VGA driver. In the Device Manager right-click and delete the "PCI controller" and if the driver is installed then click the scan for new H/W. -- prepare yourself if the screen goes blank and position the mouse pointer over the 'scan' button; otherwise you might need to press the power button to force a restart.

As soon as you figure out what driver is missing I would image the problem will be resolved as well.


I will double check to make sure that I've downloaded all drivers, but I do have the VGA driver. Windows keeps telling me it's unable to locate a driver for the PCI Simple Communication Controller though. I have tried uninstalling and scanning for new hardware as well as the "update driver software" option.

Thanks so much for your time and assistance so far. This has been bugging me for a while.


m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 12:44:56 PM

In the Device Manager first delete the {PCI Simple Communication Controller} and Reinstall both the:
Intel INF installation
Intel Management Engine Interface

You can reinstall every driver on the GA Download page pertinent to your correct OS, it won't harm anything, but to be safe create a restore point before updating.
m
0
l
February 3, 2011 1:29:09 PM

jaquith said:
In the Device Manager first delete the {PCI Simple Communication Controller} and Reinstall both the:
Intel INF installation
Intel Management Engine Interface

You can reinstall every driver on the GA Download page pertinent to your correct OS, it won't harm anything, but to be safe create a restore point before updating.


Ahhh, I see. I had been relying on the Device Manager to update the drivers rather than manually installing them (this is my first time installing Windows). After installing a few drivers, my computer looks about a hundred percent better (I'm assuming this was the VGA driver) and sleep is now an option in the Shut Down menu.

Of course sleep is still not working properly as it's awaking immediately, but I'll work on that this evening. Thanks again and sorry for my ignorance!
m
0
l
February 3, 2011 6:31:30 PM

jaquith said:
There's no ignorance, Window can be a real PITA even for me.

Next, look at this -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976877

You're getting there!!! :) 


We do seem to be making progress, though now the computer is just teasing me by pretending to go to sleep and then deciding against it.

I downloaded and installed all drivers from Gigabyte's site and am no longer seeing any errors in Device Manager.

I then ran powercfg -requests and saw that a USB device was preventing sleep, so I downloaded new drivers for my increasingly suspicious DAC. I ran the same command and am now seeing "None" for DISPLAY, SYSTEM, and AWAYMODE. I unplugged the DAC anyway after still failing to get the machine to sleep.

I generated another energy report, which I was able to open by moving it out of the system32 folder, and it mentioned USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend three times. The ID is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D and the location is PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0.

Do I need to look for another driver, or should I attempt to locate and disable the offending device in Device Manager?

Thanks for reading my memoir!
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 11:36:34 PM

I had to move the file out of that fold as well...

That the Intel Chipset USB Driver. I assume that you re-enabled S3 in the BIOS.

Also, if you have 'Media Sharing' enabled then that will easily keep a PC from sleeping.

In my case I simply disabled it in File Sharing, but here's another method but I didn't do it this way ->
"Check out your Power Management Options on your Control Panel (Start, Control Panel, Power Settings, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings).
-> “Multimedia settings” option, “When sharing media.” ->”Allow the computer to sleep."

Trust me, sleep is on the fritz it tough to 'plug' the holes.

---

Windows needs an Option - "If I'm not using it - Turn the Damn thing off"
m
0
l
February 4, 2011 12:52:33 AM

jaquith said:
I had to move the file out of that fold as well...

That the Intel Chipset USB Driver. I assume that you re-enabled S3 in the BIOS.

Also, if you have 'Media Sharing' enabled then that will easily keep a PC from sleeping.

In my case I simply disabled it in File Sharing, but here's another method but I didn't do it this way ->
"Check out your Power Management Options on your Control Panel (Start, Control Panel, Power Settings, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings).
-> “Multimedia settings” option, “When sharing media.” ->”Allow the computer to sleep."

Trust me, sleep is on the fritz it tough to 'plug' the holes.

---

Windows needs an Option - "If I'm not using it - Turn the Damn thing off"


It seems like that option would save the world from a great deal of frustration. I've disabled everything I can find that can wake the computer from sleep, including the multimedia option. At this point I think I might place a few sleeping pills on the optical drive tray and hope for the best.

Things certainly look prettier since installing the graphics driver though!
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 2:16:02 AM

To see if some App is causing the problem run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic then restart.
m
0
l
February 4, 2011 1:17:58 PM

jaquith said:
To see if some App is causing the problem run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic then restart.


In this case the monitor does go to sleep. The system fans and the power LED, however, remain on. Is this typical?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 3:36:52 PM

No! The PC is not in Sleep mode. When a PC sleeps it seems fully 'off' with the exception of a blinking LED; e.g. no fans are on.

If you run PassMark Sleeper it should 'force' sleep the PC.

--
Try a post at http://forums.tweaktown.com/ they're the GA experts and maybe there's something they can add to this, and please let me know the post. The above is my limits to fixing the problem, and I always like to learn something new.
m
0
l
February 4, 2011 4:03:52 PM

jaquith said:
No! The PC is not in Sleep mode. When a PC sleeps it seems fully 'off' with the exception of a blinking LED; e.g. no fans are on.

If you run PassMark Sleeper it should 'force' sleep the PC.

--
Try a post at http://forums.tweaktown.com/ they're the GA experts and maybe there's something they can add to this, and please let me know the post. The above is my limits to fixing the problem, and I always like to learn something new.


Will do. Thanks so much for your help so far. I'll let you know how it works out.
m
0
l
February 5, 2011 9:16:13 PM

It looks like it's a problem with the BIOS and is common among Gigabyte boards. I'm wary of flashing the BIOS though.
m
0
l
February 7, 2011 2:52:25 PM

jaquith said:
Your GA MOBO has a 'Dual BIOS' chip which means if you screw-up the back-up BIOS re-flashes the primary BIOS. The safest method to flash BIOS is through the BIOS and USB. Use the Q-Flash method.

Nice 3-part video:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCId1Mcrw4
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlx5GBkiaM0
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX78S4qyHu0


I gather that Q-Flash is not working well with the BIOS that they shipped with the MOBOs. I think I'm going to wait to flash the BIOS with one of the other methods until GB releases a few more iterations of the BIOS.

S1 seems to be working thanks to you, which is a relief. The one system fan I have connected directly to the PSU remains on, but everything else shuts down. This is considerably less annoying now that I've swapped the stock fan for a Nexus.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 3:23:10 PM

Have you tried the SYS_FAN header? I looked in your manual and there's only 2: CPU & SYS. I don't have a clue where the 'fan' is or if you have multiple fans, and the only place where it's awkward is a side panel fan.

Yeah, I get the BIOS flashing 'currently' available; F3 = 3TB+ HDD support, and I really hope that S3 can be used sometime in the future! Often not ALL of the BIOS improvements are listed or disclosed. To help yourself and others you might want to let GA know about the Sleep problems. It seems that others are having similar issues as well.

Good Luck! Let me know what happens. BTW - What did TT forum say? This helps me help others - Thanks!
m
0
l
February 7, 2011 11:09:57 PM

jaquith said:
Have you tried the SYS_FAN header? I looked in your manual and there's only 2: CPU & SYS. I don't have a clue where the 'fan' is or if you have multiple fans, and the only place where it's awkward is a side panel fan.

Yeah, I get the BIOS flashing 'currently' available; F3 = 3TB+ HDD support, and I really hope that S3 can be used sometime in the future! Often not ALL of the BIOS improvements are listed or disclosed. To help yourself and others you might want to let GA know about the Sleep problems. It seems that others are having similar issues as well.

Good Luck! Let me know what happens. BTW - What did TT forum say? This helps me help others - Thanks!


I have two case fans: one is plugged into SYS_FAN and the other is attached to the PSU. The fan attached to the PSU remains on during S1 sleep, but the fan plugged into the Mobo shuts down (I think).

Here is the TT thread if you're interested: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/42937-ga-h67ma-ud2...

I probably won't be able to resist flashing the BIOS in the near future and will let you know when / if the problem is resolved.

Thanks!

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 11:37:45 PM

I know Lsdmeasap he's the best one there. I'd be interest in see a H67 OC, and I'm not aware of any that can be OC {P67 & 'Z68' - Intel may change name}.

I prefer the Q-Flash method myself; safest. BTW - that link is generally Beta BIOS just for an FYI; I prefer to get them from GA Site. Unless you like the Guinea Pig beta thing.

m
0
l
February 8, 2011 8:44:07 PM

jaquith said:
I know Lsdmeasap he's the best one there. I'd be interest in see a H67 OC, and I'm not aware of any that can be OC {P67 & 'Z68' - Intel may change name}.

I prefer the Q-Flash method myself; safest. BTW - that link is generally Beta BIOS just for an FYI; I prefer to get them from GA Site. Unless you like the Guinea Pig beta thing.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Build_Chart_Q1-2011-1.jpg


After the recall and the issues I've had with the newly released hardware, I think I will be avoiding all technologies that have not been well-tested for a while.

While trying and failing to flash the BIOS (GB just put two new updates on their website), I switched the boot priority of my HDDs so that Windows 7 now boots before Ubuntu and S3 sleep is now working. I have no idea why this would be happen.

I am not booting Ubuntu now, but given the lack of support for Sandy Bridge so far, this isn't much of an issue.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 8, 2011 9:39:39 PM

dan555 said:
While trying and failing to flash the BIOS (GB just put two new updates on their website), I switched the boot priority of my HDDs so that Windows 7 now boots before ...

Say what?? Failing?!

What BIOS version is installed?

BTW - I'm Very Happy to hear S3 works. If you didn't update the BIOS then...duh...goes along with 'banging' on the thing or kicking the washing machine {metaphorically speaking} :lol: 
m
0
l
February 8, 2011 10:53:57 PM

jaquith said:
Say what?? Failing?!

What BIOS version is installed?

BTW - I'm Very Happy to hear S3 works. If you didn't update the BIOS then...duh...goes along with 'banging' on the thing or kicking the washing machine {metaphorically speaking} :lol: 


Throwing it in the washing machine was actually my next step.

I tried Q-Flash but it did not recognize my USB device. I then attempted to boot using FlashSPI, but I'm unclear about whether I need a separately formatted DOS drive (that formatting option is greyed out on my machine anyways). After messing up the boot order of the hard drives, I was pleasently suprised to find the computer sleeping like a baby.

I believe I have F3 of the BIOS or whatever version it shipped with.
m
0
l
a c 166 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 2:59:01 AM

USB flash drives need to be formated in fat32 in order for the BIOS to recognize them.
m
0
l
February 10, 2011 2:08:03 AM

spooky2th said:
USB flash drives need to be formated in fat32 in order for the BIOS to recognize them.


I'm pretty sure I formatted in fat32, as I think that was the default option, but I'll try again. I'm confused about whether I can use Q-Flash to upgrade to F8 and future releases. GB's site seems to indicate that Q-Flash is unavailave only for F6, but I was told at TT that the problem was with the version of the BIOS that shipped with the MOBO (F3).

I also no longer know whether the problem is attributable to the BIOS or to Ubuntu, whose support of Sandy Bridge seems to have been spotty so far. Either way, the computer is sleeping with Windows 7 as the primary OS, which is a relief.

m
0
l
a c 166 V Motherboard
February 10, 2011 2:31:52 AM

Also, the flash drive will be labeled as a hard drive in the BIOS qflash program, if I'm not mistaken. Pick the HD from the list that is your flash drive. The flash drive should not have anything on it but the 3 BIOS files from your download.
m
0
l
February 11, 2011 12:55:27 AM

spooky2th said:
Also, the flash drive will be labeled as a hard drive in the BIOS qflash program, if I'm not mistaken. Pick the HD from the list that is your flash drive. The flash drive should not have anything on it but the 3 BIOS files from your download.


Q-Flash is saying that it is not locating any drives when I select the update option.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 11:42:42 AM

Try a different Flash Drive preferably a 'small' one 1~2GB. The larger FD often fail.
m
0
l
!