Sign in with
Your question

Need a little help pinpointing graphic trouble...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 15, 2010 10:52:33 PM

Hey all,

I need a little help pinpointing a graphics problem I'm having, was hoping some of your collective minds could help me figure it out. I think it may be the graphics card, but I'm not really sure.

It's an older build system that I use to play older games, mostly MMO's. I recently reinstalled LOTRO, and am having an issue where shortly after loading the game, the screen goes black and the system restarts. I was able to play this game before (yr or two) with no issues, so I'm not sure what has changed now. I thought maybe it was a heating issue, so I made sure to clean the fans, didn't help. I then left the case open, didn't help. I used ATI Tray Tools to check the temps, and the GPU would hit about 60 and then restart.

Any ideas? Think the card's done? Or is it a Power Supply issue? The System Build is below:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57, 2800 MHz
Motherboard: Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
Motherboard Chipset: AMD 580X CrossFire, AMD Hammer
System Memory: 2GB PC3200
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Power: Thermaltake TR2 W0101 550-Watt
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 10:56:27 PM

Does this happens only while playing LOTRO..?? In that case its a driver issue.. May be rolling back to an older driver will resolve it..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 10:59:19 PM

60C should be a fine temp- nothing to worry about there. Have you checked your CPU temps? Also- if its getting old, the PSU could be degrading as well- might be worth checking your system with another PSU if you have one available. Also- make sure you have the latest patches for the game, as well as checking to make sure your display drivers are up to date.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2010 11:53:22 PM

Emperus said:
Does this happens only while playing LOTRO..?? In that case its a driver issue.. May be rolling back to an older driver will resolve it..

I only use the system to web browse and e-mail lately, so LOTRO is the only game I've tried recently. I guess I could try another and see what happens. Although now that I think about it, I remember having a similar problem years ago on this system with another game "The Witcher". Same symptoms would happen, never did get that game to work. Chalked it up to maybe the system couldn't run the game. But LOTRO played fine the last time I played it, that was over a year ago though.

flyinfinni said:
60C should be a fine temp- nothing to worry about there. Have you checked your CPU temps? Also- if its getting old, the PSU could be degrading as well- might be worth checking your system with another PSU if you have one available. Also- make sure you have the latest patches for the game, as well as checking to make sure your display drivers are up to date.

I don't remember exactly, but I know the PSU is the newest thing in the system. I replaced it a few years ago. Not sure entirely how long they generally last though. ATI Tray Tools only displays GPU temp. Any suggestions on checking CPU temps?
m
l
a c 1372 U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 11:55:31 PM

Did you check for game patches?
m
l
April 16, 2010 12:06:47 AM

rolli59 said:
Did you check for game patches?

Yes all patched up.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2010 6:42:21 PM

CPU temp you can download either coretemp or realtemp- both are pretty solid. I would think the PSU should be ok, but you never know. A couple things I would try:
1. If you have another card (or can borrow one from a friend) try swapping it for the one you currently are using- see if it makes a difference.
2. do the same with a PSU if you can (a little more work, I know).
This can at least help you rule out a couple of variables.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2010 8:31:44 PM

flyinfinni has given some nice and practical suggestions.. Also in case you've got your CPU overclocked, just get it to stock settings and give the game another try..
m
l
April 18, 2010 3:33:23 AM

Downloaded a temp monitoring program for the CPU. Maxed out at about 55. Funny things is, the game didn't crash this time around, tried again, and it seemed to run smooth....I dunno what changed to cause that, couldn't get the thing to run for days, and now...it's working and I didn't really do anything to remedy. Hmmm.
m
l
April 18, 2010 10:01:45 AM

Your system probably thought that it was headed for the parts bin..........you scared the hell out of it. :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2010 5:29:51 PM

Well, hopefully it was some sort of game bug that was patched recently or something like that and you're good to go. Good luck:-) Let us know if you run into more problems.
m
l
April 20, 2010 11:29:32 PM

Thanks. I will throw another line out there if something happens again. Of course, this little ordeal pretty much ate up the 10-Day Trial they were offering......lost all that free play!! Wondering if once I drop the $10/mo. the problem will start flaring up again, hehe ;-)
m
l
!