Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X6 Build?

Last response: in Components
July 21, 2010 8:37:03 PM

I am thinking about making a Phenom II X6 computer. It's just going to be multimedia, not really for gaming. I want to keep it around or under 1k, so here we are.

ASUS M4A77T/USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770
Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
LG Super-Multi 22x DVD Writer, SATA, Black (OEM)
LG E2350V-SN Glossy Black 23" 5ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DC 5,000,000:1

The price? 1076.99 CND (Yes, I'm canadian so it'll be less in the US ;D)

If I go bargain hunting and such, the price should be fine. So what do you think? Anything I should change? Should I spend the extra 100 for the 1090t?

More about : amd phenom build

a b À AMD
July 21, 2010 8:40:11 PM

If your not gaming, there is absolutely no reason to get a 5770, on board or something cheap like a 5550 would do the job. I also wouldn't spend the extra $100 for the 1090T unless you want a 4.0Ghz overclock using the easy unlocked multiplier, it just doesn't have the price/performance of the 1055T which also reaches 4.0Ghz with a good motherboard.
July 21, 2010 8:46:08 PM

loneninja said:
If your not gaming, there is absolutely no reason to get a 5770, on board or something cheap like a 5550 would do the job. I also wouldn't spend the extra $100 for the 1090T unless you want a 4.0Ghz overclock using the easy unlocked multiplier, it just doesn't have the price/performance of the 1055T which also reaches 4.0Ghz with a good motherboard.

Hmm... If i changed it to a 5550, i would save around a hundred bucks, giving me a bit more money to shoot for more RAM... I agree completely with the 1055T issue. Maybe I should add a cheap cooler too for a 4.0 ghz oc... Thanks.
Related resources
July 21, 2010 10:30:22 PM

Looking at changing the HDD to a Samsung F3 might be a good idea too, as it is a bit better at handling large files than the Seagate.
July 22, 2010 3:51:42 AM

gammaraptor I'm Canadian to so don't feel bad lol , I agree with the suggestion to switch the seagate HD for a Samsung or a WD Black. Seagate just aren't who they use to be I have had 2 of there drives die on me , now i only do WD and samsung. Another thing i would think of changing is the psu on the antec sonata. Antec has seriously fallen off when it comes to PSU reliability , I use to live and die by Antec and i loved the idea that i could get a good case with a good PSU for a decent amount of money. ( I purchased antec TX1050B with a 500 watt modular PSU for my main system and a Antec Performance II SX1040BII with a 430 for my storage and FTP server ,and the first Sonata case ) and all these PSU died on me before the warranty was up. And Antec replaced them with there new Basic PSU with 1 year warranty where as all the models i previously had , had a 3 year warranty on them , out of the 3 replacement PSU i received only 1 of them are currently working . Antecs case are good but there PSU are no longer reliable. I would choose another antec case with out a power supply or another case manufacture completely and go with a corsair PSU. I currently have the corsair 850HX watt and its great I dont think you would need that but take a look at there 500-650 watt models they great as well and range in price from 80$-100$ on newegg.ca You could consider the Antec 300 54$ with a corsair 500 Watt 99$ and if you were to get it off of new egg im sure there is some kind of combo deal going on those parts or something similar.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Oh and one last thing I have the X6 1055T CPU and its amazing i really don't think the X61090T is worth the money unless your really serious about overclocking , I have mine running @3080 GHZ @ 30c. The only negative thing i have to say about the cpu is that the stock cooler is really noisy. I would suggest changing it when you have some spare cash.
a b À AMD
July 22, 2010 4:13:57 AM

I've built two computers with Antec sonata cases. Both came with a 500W antec earthwatts, which are good. Both are still going strong.

Antec has seriously fallen off when it comes to PSU reliability
Antec Earthwatts are the only good ones. The Basic power and others are, as you said, unreliable.

You've never dealt with the earthwatts, if this review is right on the PSU that came with your case:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/200/4/
July 22, 2010 4:47:30 AM

Your right Matrix none of my cases had earth watts , the earth watts line wasn't around when the first Gen Sonata came out. But i did purchase Smart power , True power and Neopower all to have them fail on me. At first i thought it was just me and that maybe there was a problem with the wiring in my house or something, ( I purchased a ups ) but then i started to do some googling and found out that Antec had been using cheap capacitors and that it was an ongoing thing with other antec users. For a while Antec was using Fuhjyyu capacitors and they were causing allot of problems for users. All my antecs that don't work that i still have have bulging caps on in them. I'm not saying your wrong Matrix cause i have never tried the Earthwatt series , I just no longer wish to take my chances on an Antec PSU.
July 22, 2010 3:51:00 PM

Thanks for all your opinions guys. The EarthWatts is the PSU that comes with the Sonata III. I like the Sonata III, it's quite decent for sound and reliability. I could always switch around the psu if there is a need. I'll switch to the F3 or perhaps WD... I'll see which is cheaper xD.
!