ryanhmusic

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
New Build
MSI Mobo
Quadro FX 1800
Phenom ii x6 1090t
12 GB RAM

Every time I attempt to boot with a windows disk to install the os it stops right after "windows is loading files" and gives the error code "STOP 0x000000A5"
I have tried countless means to fix this and cannot come up with a solution, I have replaced the gpu with another quadro fx 1800 that I know works, I've replaced all of the ram with ram I know works, I've taken out all the ram except one stick, I've reset the motherboard and I'm not quite sure what else to do. My BIOS version is 1.2 and it sees the phenom ii x6 (all it's cores) but it doesn't know the name of it. Would a bios update (to a bios not released yet) possibly fix this? I have an identical machine that is working where I can swap parts in and out, I'm just a little bit reluctant to swap the CPU because of the thermal paste and heatsink hassle.

PLEASE HELP ME, THIS COMPUTER NEEDS TO BE SHIPPED TO A CUSTOMER BY TUESDAY!!

Thank you in advanced!

Solution
Your BIOS does not know how to handle the processor, or the processor offers power control features that you BIOS does not suppport yet. I would suspect that turbo boost, a new feature with the Thuban processors, is your culprit. Check the MSI site for your new BIOS and flash your board.

See this support article from Microsoft in order to understand the issue as well as a workaround if there is not a BIOS update available for you yet. You might want to notify your customer of this issue, as it might hinder delivery of a fully working system until the BIOS is updated, but at least you can finish your Windows install.

EDIT: Check your BIOS, but you should also be able to optionally disable ACPI from the BIOS. Turbo Boost and Cool...

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Your BIOS does not know how to handle the processor, or the processor offers power control features that you BIOS does not suppport yet. I would suspect that turbo boost, a new feature with the Thuban processors, is your culprit. Check the MSI site for your new BIOS and flash your board.

See this support article from Microsoft in order to understand the issue as well as a workaround if there is not a BIOS update available for you yet. You might want to notify your customer of this issue, as it might hinder delivery of a fully working system until the BIOS is updated, but at least you can finish your Windows install.

EDIT: Check your BIOS, but you should also be able to optionally disable ACPI from the BIOS. Turbo Boost and Cool n' Quiet will not function, nor will sleep control, but the system will be bootable.

Solution

ryanhmusic

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
@Houndsteeth
You've been exceptionally helpful, I suspected that the bios was the culprit but I was hoping for another simpler problem since MSI has not released a new bios yet (even though they've announced it's release).
I can disable ACPI in the bios and did so but the OS will not install with ACPI off and the computer will not run properly with it enabled. It looks like I'll be spending some quality time on the phone with MSI's terrible tech support begging for a copy of their beta bios :(