Ready for my 300D now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessops down the street sells it at ¡ê599 now...after rebate...¡ê499...after
VAT back (i am not a UK resident) it's around ¡ê409...
How that sounds....?
Is there any possibility that the price will lower next week....?
Can I ask them for sth extra? Like an additional battery or cases..etc?

"David Zou" <David@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Jessops down the street sells it at ¡ê599 now...after
rebate...¡ê499...after
> VAT back (i am not a UK resident) it's around ¡ê409...
> How that sounds....?
> Is there any possibility that the price will lower next week....?
> Can I ask them for sth extra? Like an additional battery or cases..etc?

What do you want? Blood? You're getting a really good deal and you're hoping
for extras?
Maybe they will throw in a 17-40 for free too.

"Fi Nishing" <fi@fisplace.info> wrote in message

> "David Zou" <David@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Jessops down the street sells it at ¡ê599 now...after
> rebate...¡ê499...after
>> VAT back (i am not a UK resident) it's around ¡ê409...
>> How that sounds....?
>> Is there any possibility that the price will lower next week....?
>> Can I ask them for sth extra? Like an additional battery or cases..etc?
>
> What do you want? Blood? You're getting a really good deal and you're
> hoping
> for extras?
> Maybe they will throw in a 17-40 for free too.

Now that would be a good deal, you could keep the lense and get a decent
camera to go with it.

Er...I am just a poor student and thinking about this camera since the
summer.
It's gonna be the first camera, first digital camera and first digital
SLR...

But actually this is just a normal deal in US...¡ê409 is about $730.I think
the deal in US is better especially if I am buying extra lenses. I have
friends coming back from US after a while butI want a camera for my
Christmas anyway...

I am already happy with the deal but wont mind if I could get extra.......:)

Maybe I will start with some second hand lenses.

Good luck to all you guys...:) I think the price would be even sweet after
Christmas...

"Fi Nishing" <fi@fisplace.info> wrote in message

> "David Zou" <David@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Jessops down the street sells it at ¡ê599 now...after
> rebate...¡ê499...after
>> VAT back (i am not a UK resident) it's around ¡ê409...
>> How that sounds....?
>> Is there any possibility that the price will lower next week....?
>> Can I ask them for sth extra? Like an additional battery or cases..etc?
>
> What do you want? Blood? You're getting a really good deal and you're
> hoping
> for extras?
> Maybe they will throw in a 17-40 for free too.

To share with UK buyers...

After some research I found the best deal probably is:

Lexar 80X at 69.99 free shipping at Flash memory UK

http://www.flash-memory.co.uk/products.asp?category=CompactFlash%20Cards%20%28CF%29&product=Lexar%201GB%2080x%20Speed%20Compact%20Flash%20Card

And they also sell Kingston Elite Pro 512MB at 34.76

http://www.flash-memory.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=18

Those are the best deals currently...

> Er...I am just a poor student and thinking about this camera since the
> summer.
> It's gonna be the first camera, first digital camera and first digital
> SLR...
>
> But actually this is just a normal deal in US...¡ê409 is about $730.I
> think the deal in US is better especially if I am buying extra lenses. I
> have friends coming back from US after a while butI want a camera for my
> Christmas anyway...
>
> I am already happy with the deal but wont mind if I could get
> extra.......:)
>
> Maybe I will start with some second hand lenses.
>
> Good luck to all you guys...:) I think the price would be even sweet after
> Christmas...

You will probably still get better deals in the US, but what you have to
remember is Canon US warranties are not valid in Europe so if you have any
problems with it you will have to send it back to the US for repair and
unfortunately it has been known for some to fail. Plus you will have to pay
around 22% import duty and VAT if you go mail order, if you go and get one
yourself you still may get stopped in customs and stung for duty (don't
forget it is badged as a Rebel in the US so it will be clear it's not a UK
model). personally to just save a few quid on it is just not worth the
hassle, but hey that's me!!

Good luck with what you do - it's a great camera

Sure...
So I will get mine in Jessops...hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow.
: )

David Zou wrote:
> Sure...
> So I will get mine in Jessops...hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow.

Make sure to try and price match with Internet prices - take a list of Web
sites, phone numbers and prices. Be sure they are UK Web sites (no
pixmania) and have the item in stock.

One person reported that price match was not available at weekends (when
perhaps either head office or the Web sites you selected aren't answering
their telephone?).

Cheers,
David

Thanks for the reply...

I did found 7dayshop or buydigicam sells 300D at around ¡ê560 and there is
no indication if the price is after canon UK rebate...while there is no
indication if it is after rebate either !

Shall I print those two pages and go to the shop? There are two jessops
around the corner lol

Cheers

David Zou wrote:
> Thanks for the reply...
>
> I did found 7dayshop or buydigicam sells 300D at around ¡ê560 and
> there is no indication if the price is after canon UK rebate...while
> there is no indication if it is after rebate either !
>
> Shall I print those two pages and go to the shop? There are two
> jessops around the corner lol
>
> Cheers

What I have done is to print a list of Web pages from one of the price
comparison sites. Gave about a dozen sites, not just two. 7dayshop may
not be UK based (Channel Islands?). Put the telephone number on the Web
site details as Jessops will need that. Help them and they are more
likely to help you.

Ignore rebates, I would suggest. Deal in the price you would need to pay.
I would guess that you would get the rebate should you buy from Jessops as
well.

Good luck!
David

That's very kind of you...
Thanks a lot~
I am going out to the shop now...

> David Zou wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply...
>>
>> I did found 7dayshop or buydigicam sells 300D at around ¡ê560 and
>> there is no indication if the price is after canon UK rebate...while
>> there is no indication if it is after rebate either !
>>
>> Shall I print those two pages and go to the shop? There are two
>> jessops around the corner lol
>>
>> Cheers
>
> What I have done is to print a list of Web pages from one of the price
> comparison sites. Gave about a dozen sites, not just two. 7dayshop may
> not be UK based (Channel Islands?). Put the telephone number on the Web
> site details as Jessops will need that. Help them and they are more
> likely to help you.
>
> Ignore rebates, I would suggest. Deal in the price you would need to pay.
> I would guess that you would get the rebate should you buy from Jessops as
> well.
>
> Good luck!
> David

Got it now...
and first try out thru my window :)

http://www.icdphotos.com/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=16096792

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:23:46 -0000, "David Zou" <David@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I did found 7dayshop or buydigicam sells 300D at around ¡ê560 and there is
>no indication if the price is after canon UK rebate...while there is no
>indication if it is after rebate either !

7-day shop is in the Channel Islands, so probably does not qualify for
the Canon UK £100 cashback (I looked on the Canon site and the terms
were a bit unclear as to whether the Channel Islands would be
included, but Canon have the final say - also there is no reference on
7day shop's web site about the cashback, so best assume there is
none.)

--
Bryn

Thanks for the reply...
The final price I got is £599.90 for the camera, £70 for 1GB Lexar 80X card
and £10 for a Hoya UV filter...
After rebate the whole lot is around...£580..and I dont know how much VAT I
could claim back...no less than 80 I think.
So it is £500 for the whole packages...which is not bad : )

Regards

David

"Bryn James" <fbjames@iee.org.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:23:46 -0000, "David Zou" <David@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I did found 7dayshop or buydigicam sells 300D at around ¡ê560 and there is
>>no indication if the price is after canon UK rebate...while there is no
>>indication if it is after rebate either !
>
> 7-day shop is in the Channel Islands, so probably does not qualify for
> the Canon UK £100 cashback (I looked on the Canon site and the terms
> were a bit unclear as to whether the Channel Islands would be
> included, but Canon have the final say - also there is no reference on
> 7day shop's web site about the cashback, so best assume there is
> none.)
>
> --
> Bryn

Since that one seems not working...

http://www.webphotoforum.com/propsize.asp?pID=58094

Just a new beginner...my first OWN camera :)

David Zou wrote:
> Thanks for the reply...
> The final price I got is £599.90 for the camera, £70 for 1GB Lexar
> 80X card and £10 for a Hoya UV filter...
> After rebate the whole lot is around...£580..and I dont know how much
> VAT I could claim back...no less than 80 I think.
> So it is £500 for the whole packages...which is not bad : )
>
> Regards
>
> David

... and was that from Jessops?

David

Yeah...
All of them...
They matched the card but they cant do the camera...
Both digicam and 7dayshop seems not stocking in UK..
They say they cant match the camera...

David Zou wrote:
> Yeah...
> All of them...
> They matched the card but they cant do the camera...
> Both digicam and 7dayshop seems not stocking in UK..
> They say they cant match the camera...
> Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. That matches with what I thought, the item has
to be in stock at a UK Internet supplier before they will match the price.
When we have bought, we've taken in a list of a dozen Web sites. It took
ages to get a price-match for the Minolta A2, but only a few minutes for
the Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon 8400. Presumably they had to phone round far
more suppliers to find an A2 in stock. We also got a voucher for 25 free
7 x 5 inch prints.

Good place, Jessops, though. I continue to recommend it.

Oh...they didnt give me free print voucher!

David Zou wrote:
> Oh...they didnt give me free print voucher!

Maybe that offer has expired! Better luck next time.

David