Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

MSI 890FXA-GD70 compatibility issue (Video Card, HD 5970) PLEASE HELP!

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 17, 2010 3:17:07 AM

Hey everyone, I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue cause its bugging the heck out of me and people elsewhere sound about as stumped as I am.

Ok, so I've build a new system using the MSI 890fxa-GD70, 1090t Phenom II X6. Now, after I get everything hooked up with my new Radeon HD 5970 it hangs on boot up with the starting windows logo and won't hit the desktop. I naturally assume its a RAM issue since I couldn't install win 7 unless I went down to 1 stick of RAM and when I did I could not properly install the drivers on the video card. This is a fresh system build. The two times I tried after having to reboot I would get the generic error "No ATI device recognized or installed" etc etc. So I was stuck with a 640 by 480 in 16 colors setup. Before I'm labeled with some criticism, yes I -did- check RAM voltages and apply them accordingly. I went from auto 1333 to 1600mhz at 1.65v and went into DCT 0 and also put them at cas 7 8 7 24. Still nothing, I thought well, maybe its the video card then. I plugged my new card into my old dual core system, also an MSI board, and it popped up and accepted the drivers like a charm, Win7 64 bit as well. So I was told maybe it was a bad PSU in my new system so I went from a tier 3 power supply to a Tier 2 Corsair TX850w. Same thing, nothing,

After much frustration, I ended up putting my old Geforce 8800GTS 512mb into my new system (I don't remember why I did, I believe my other older psu from my current system was bugging out or something) Low and behold, my new system boots up with all 8 sticks of RAM like a charm and Win 7 auto installs a driver for the card and it starts working -great-. I thought maybe there was a fluke somewhere and when I moved the Radeon back it started hanging out again, I went back to the Geforce and booted it up just fine again and ran a mem diagnostic, hoping I could more thoroughly check out what was going wrong on the system. It was only a Windows memory diagnostic, not memtest86, but I ran two standard tests and one extended memory test with NO problems. I would like to believe that the windows tester would at least pick up some inclination of a problem even though Im told its not a reliable tester, if one that prevented booting would exist. So, now, here I am wondering if its some kind of compatibility issue with the video card and Mo Bo or what. Which would make little sense since its an AMD chipset made for crossfire X and ATI cards so why have problems with an ATI card? I am using this Radeon HD 5970 right now on my old system to post this message and have run a few games on it with no problems as well...I even put it on a friends system to test it, no problems, So is it a compatibility issue or a bad MoBo or what? Seeing as my old video card and the system itself boots just fine with it together but not with the new one. I cant believe that TWO PSUs back to back are bad in a row, even though the first one didnt seem bad to begin with.

Please, help, Im about to RMA the board but I need to know if its a video card issue or what and if I should return that or something...

MSI 890fxa-GD70
Corsair TX850w
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR 3 1600mhz 8 GB
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t @ 3.2ghz
WD Velciraptor HD 74GB 10k rpm (boot)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2 GB (old card is EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 512mb)

Old sys
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
MSI K9N4 SLI board
3 GB of G.SKill DDR2
May 17, 2010 3:35:43 AM

I would say the board is working fine if all the slots are recognizing different hardware and I did read that you tried another graphics card in it and it worked fine.

By the way Whether the board is Crossfire or SLi, ATI or Nvidia cards will work in them just the board itself won't let you SLi two ATI cards on a SLi board.

Take the card back or it might be a problem with the way the OS is getting installed I would try a FULL FORMAT and a fresh install after you remove the battery and reset the CMOS.

I hope this post helps.

Sorry for your troubles it sucks when something like this happens.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 3:44:48 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention I flashed the BIOS to v1.3 already too, so flashing the BIOS didnt help either. I know the way crossfire and SLi work, one is made for Nvidia cards and the other is for ATI cards my point was that since its a crossfire board with an AMD chipset (890fx) why is it having some kind of issue like this...I can't turn up the power to the PCI e lane as far as I can tell either. I dont know what else to do, the new video card has been working -great- on this old system I'm on so why cant it work on my new one? Furthermore, its beyond my senses why my old card works without a hitch in the new system.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 17, 2010 5:36:10 AM

I am having the same problem with close to the same build...

CPU - AMD Phenom II Black Edition X4 965 3.4 GHz
Mobo - MSi 890FXA-GD70 with the newest bios 1.4
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB x 2
HDD 1 - Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 10000 RPM Sata 6.0GB/s
HDD 2 - Western Digital AV-GP 2TB Sata 3.0GB/s
Video Card - ASUS EAH5970/G/2DIS/2GD5 Radeon HD 5970
PSU - BFG EX Series 1200 watt
LG Blu-Ray Burner
LG Blu-Ray Player
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM
and some extra junk

When installing Windows it hung up at the Starting Windows screen with the glowing Windows logo for about 20 minutes before moving on. After installing Windows and updating every driver to boot the machine up takes 5 minutes at the Starting Windows screen again and once it does start it is not even running close to the performance that it should be running at. I have found that disabling the USB in the bios makes all these problems go away, which is not an acceptable fix. But i did discover that my video card does not show up in the device manger when the USB is enabled and there is a PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use which i have read is some sort of IRQ conflict even though i have APIC enabled in the bios, but the PCI Express standard Root Port is on 11 and the USB devices appear to be on 17 through 19 so i dont know why they would be conflicting? I am still researching at this time on how to fix but I have already RMAed the mobo once to no avail and have been fighting this for a week now, so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 6:18:35 AM

^make your own thread
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 6:29:42 AM

I am sorry xurwin if I have made some sort of mistake but it appears to me that Jedirobus and I both have the same exact problem. I don't see the point in having multiple threads for the same exact issue? but if I am in the wrong I will start my own thread if need be.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 7:26:02 AM

I got same issue too, 9800GX2, 4870X2, and 5970 will not work.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 7:40:21 AM

Ok I can confirm that moving the Radeon HD 5970 to a different PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot does not solve the problem

"PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

just follows it to the new slot (I went from PCIe 1 to PCIe 5 since those are the two slots that MSi says are PCI Express 2.0 x16 which moved the card from IRQ 11 to 10) but anyways did not solve anything.

I tried to see if the conflict was still there with the USB disabled which the machine booted up VERY quickly about 10 to 15 seconds as compared to before at 5 minutes but appears to be unrelated to the conflict seeing how it was still there. So please disregard my slow boot problem because of the USB as it appears to be unrelated to this thread.

However the conflict for getting the Radeon HD 5970 working properly on the MSi 890FXA-GD70 continues...
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 7:45:39 AM

So MSI asn't got fix for this yet? Sound like bios problem all the way.

Here my little post on MSI forums

Foxler
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 10:20:40 AM

You guys are getting close to a solution, but I'm really thinking that RMA'ing your MSI board might be the best idea at this point. I usally go with Gigabyte they have never had issues with me on any Mhz of RAM and any Ghz of CPU and any types of GPU structure.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 10:26:14 AM

Well if it happening to more than one of us, then would be no point of RMA'ing the board, seeing if it is bios issue, but if it hardware issue with components then they put new replacement parts or replace whole board with new Ver. More likely in next few hours I will be on phone asking them what the plan on the fix, if I get nothing. I'm returning board for something else.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 10:31:07 AM

starfoxacefox said:
Well if it happening to more than one of us, then would be no point of RMA'ing the board, seeing if it is bios issue, but if it hardware issue with components then they put new replacement parts or replace whole board with new Ver. More likely in next few hours I will be on phone asking them what the plan on the fix, if I get nothing. I'm returning board for something else.

Foxler


Sorry I mean't to return the board and get your money back from newegg cause I asume thats where most of you bought this board, but something thats crazy is I read the newegg reviews on this board of MSI's and not one person had a problem < 5eggs all the way! Hum I'll be sure to stay away from this on my next build GeEzZ. . .
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 10:49:36 AM

SHANEMARINES said:
Sorry I mean't to return the board and get your money back from newegg cause I asume thats where most of you bought this board, but something thats crazy is I read the newegg reviews on this board of MSI's and not one person had a problem < 5eggs all the way! Hum I'll be sure to stay away from this on my next build GeEzZ. . .



Ya no joke, that cool. Well I've used MSI for 10 years and never really had problem, but this one bites the cake. I really have my hearts set on this board, but Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 look really good, as 2 eSATA which is what I really want, but never like colors of the boards lol Hey got to look good too. I will give MSI sometime to fix it, more likely they will HAVE TOO :non:  even so might make this claim for memory problems as well. Made mistake and got DDR3 1333, 1600 would work better for plan I have for my system.

Force MSI to fix it and pay for shipping on RMA.. This is not warranty issue.

They pay for restocking fees...

Yes I got mine from Newegg Business, now I have 15 boards >.> even worst when ya got to return 3k in motherboard. :o  :o  :o 

Foxler of FoxRunner PC
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2010 11:12:45 AM

typical MSI GGAAARRRBBBBAAAGGGEEEE

i dont know why reviewers speak so highly of them and why people use them there just not worth the hassle for such a half assed product - gigabyte or asus, there the only real options.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 11:28:28 AM

apache_lives said:
typical MSI GGAAARRRBBBBAAAGGGEEEE

i dont know why reviewers speak so highly of them and why people use them there just not worth the hassle for such a half assed product - gigabyte or asus, there the only real options.


No one makes it like they use too, end of story. I would settled for Sgi Prims over Crossfire/SLi. MIPS over Intel any day, if Mircosoft had a heart they would never came up with DirectX and OpenGL would be god.

I love how people always ask at the end of the day "will it play Crysis" Then first thing come to mind "no one cares, just as to work"

We will always still overclock, cool it, hack it and burn it. Steal from Mircosoft and download torrents all day. At the end only fun we have is yelling at our screen as we get more headshot than we can count. As we relax to our playlist, start flame wars and troll the Noobs all day.

I wish it was 1998 again, Furry Fandom, Celeron 366, and 56k.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 1:23:15 PM

You know, I thought about RMAing the board but if I do that Newegg only exchanges it for the same thing. So thats pointless. If I had waited I probably would have gone with ASRock but MSI had never failed me prior to this point. When I bought all this stuff it was like the -day- the 6 core CPUs came out and the only two boards available were the ASUS C4F and the MSI board. I thought, well, gee let me save 50 bucks and have pretty much the same capability, (Im still using an IDE DVD drive and buying a SATA one since the ASUS board had no IDE channels on it would have cost me another 20 bucks) This on top of the fact the shipping was free on the MSI board and it was 39 bucks cheaper and 20 bucks that I didnt have to pay for a new SATA Dvd drive I thought -gold- cause I always loved MSI, IN FACT, as I said earlier. My OLD system that is doing fine with this HD 5970 is an MSI K9N4 SLi with a dual core AMD Athlon 64 and its working like a charm sounds like I'm not the only one goin mad over this issue. It sucks us faithful have to suffer but good job on that post in the MSI forums Foxler, I'm gonna go follow up if I can to make sure something is done. I too miss the days of yore when it was just assemble, connect, play...none of this well if you disable this reroute that flash BIOS 20 times and slant this...to get it to work right. Superior Tech seems to equal Superior complications when it should be the opposite.

I'll try that USB disable technique but It is an UNACCEPTABLE fix...you shouldnt have to sacrifice something like that to make it work. I notice its only with Dual GPU cards. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that this board still has an IDE channel on it? You think?? I'd normally say well they are unrelated channels but the fact that somehow disabling the USB on the board fixes the problem for someone is VERY strange.

Also, Goodymon, thank you very much for posting your work around and I apologize if Xurwin steered you elsewhere as the problems are the same its good to feed this thread so others can find it and we can mosh against MSI or something. I must ask...what in the world made you think to try this?
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 1:31:56 PM

O.o Just got off phone with MSI they tell me they don't know anything... Took my number down and that it.

Time to move to Newegg.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 1:36:20 PM

but Newegg will only exchange it for the same board via policy...is there something else that can be done?
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 1:44:10 PM

Yes you can, because item as we know it as been faulty, just tell them you been in contact with MSI and because of the bug you can't use the system. I just got off the phone with Newegg and they have approved RMA for FULL Refund with shipping label for in store cedit.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 1:48:07 PM

In that case, I'll have to do that...its unfortunate we have to do so...so what board you goin with?
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 1:48:48 PM

I've always been fond of MSI :( 
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 1:52:03 PM

Me too ~rubs your shoulder, when I have one more week before my 30 days and UPS label last for 7 days so I will give MSI one more week. Call them now and report to them, let them know it issue building up in community.

More likely Asus, but GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD7 look good, but yes I WANT THE MSI ONE!

Foxler
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 2:41:19 PM

Which Asus? the Crosshair IV formula or M4A89TD PRO AM3 AMD 890FX ? Yeah, I was leaning toward gigabyte or ASRock personally if MSI wouldn't work. I did one ASUS build for a friend and it crapped out in a month, the board just died for no reason I could think of but some strange short somewhere, dunno.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 2:47:11 PM

Might get Crosshair IV formula, really built well. Gigabyte always been bring up the rear in system builds for me. I build them everyday so ya.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 6:51:13 PM

Ok so I have called MSi this morning (which by the way I would like to point out that its nice talking to technical support people from America since they talk normal and dont sound like they are reading a script from a book, so I have been very happy with MSi tech support they are very helpful) but anyways they said they are going to try to duplicate the problem with the MSi 890FXA-GD70 running a Radeon HD 5970 so I am going to be waiting to hear back from them.

However when I get home tonight I am going to borrow one of my friends much smaller NVidia cards and see if that cures the

"PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

and possible even the slow boot problem. If that does work then this would appear to be just a hardware conflict between MSi 890FXA-GD70 and the Radeon HD 5970.

I also plan on trying to install Windows XP and see if that makes a difference, this should eliminate the possibility of it being a software or driver problem if they still have the same conflict.

Sadly if this is some sort hardware conflict and there is no fix to make them work together then I will be having to change motherboards. I think if I cant get this one to work I will be going with the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

which I imagine newegg should allow me to return it with no restocking fee but I hope it doesn't come to that.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 7:21:45 PM

jedirobus said:
You know, I thought about RMAing the board but if I do that Newegg only exchanges it for the same thing. So thats pointless. If I had waited I probably would have gone with ASRock but MSI had never failed me prior to this point. When I bought all this stuff it was like the -day- the 6 core CPUs came out and the only two boards available were the ASUS C4F and the MSI board. I thought, well, gee let me save 50 bucks and have pretty much the same capability, (Im still using an IDE DVD drive and buying a SATA one since the ASUS board had no IDE channels on it would have cost me another 20 bucks) This on top of the fact the shipping was free on the MSI board and it was 39 bucks cheaper and 20 bucks that I didnt have to pay for a new SATA Dvd drive I thought -gold- cause I always loved MSI, IN FACT, as I said earlier. My OLD system that is doing fine with this HD 5970 is an MSI K9N4 SLi with a dual core AMD Athlon 64 and its working like a charm sounds like I'm not the only one goin mad over this issue. It sucks us faithful have to suffer but good job on that post in the MSI forums Foxler, I'm gonna go follow up if I can to make sure something is done. I too miss the days of yore when it was just assemble, connect, play...none of this well if you disable this reroute that flash BIOS 20 times and slant this...to get it to work right. Superior Tech seems to equal Superior complications when it should be the opposite.

I'll try that USB disable technique but It is an UNACCEPTABLE fix...you shouldnt have to sacrifice something like that to make it work. I notice its only with Dual GPU cards. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that this board still has an IDE channel on it? You think?? I'd normally say well they are unrelated channels but the fact that somehow disabling the USB on the board fixes the problem for someone is VERY strange.

Also, Goodymon, thank you very much for posting your work around and I apologize if Xurwin steered you elsewhere as the problems are the same its good to feed this thread so others can find it and we can mosh against MSI or something. I must ask...what in the world made you think to try this?


Well disabling the USB was only to cure the very slow install and very slow boot but didn't have any affect on the video card conflict. Initial I was only concentrating on the slow boot problem and found several threads out there with tons of different things to try and that just happened to be one of them on the list that "worked" I am hoping that tonight when I try a small video card that the conflict and slow boot problem goes away and all this just proves to be a hardware conflict between MSi 890FXA-GD70 and the Radeon HD 5970 and sadly means that I just need a different motherboard. If need be I plan on going with the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2010 3:36:43 AM

Bump I have the same problem.
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 7:49:13 AM

+1^ for the Gigabyte options and good choice!

Sorry we all couldn't really find a solution, but that was nice of the members on here to contact MSI for you all who are having a similar problem.
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 1:55:31 PM

goodymon22 said:
Well disabling the USB was only to cure the very slow install and very slow boot but didn't have any affect on the video card conflict. Initial I was only concentrating on the slow boot problem and found several threads out there with tons of different things to try and that just happened to be one of them on the list that "worked" I am hoping that tonight when I try a small video card that the conflict and slow boot problem goes away and all this just proves to be a hardware conflict between MSi 890FXA-GD70 and the Radeon HD 5970 and sadly means that I just need a different motherboard. If need be I plan on going with the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Well, thats what I ended up thinking at this point, if some BIOS fix cant work around it then it appears to be a hardware conflict but I've heard a post elsewhere saying that all Dual GPU cards are having problems. Rather unfortunate since I really liked the features the MSI board had over the gigabyte board but that's probably the one I'm gonna go with too. The ASUS board is a bit more expensive plus I would also have to buy a SATA DVD drive on top of that and I still need to get data off an IDE HD that I have connected stiill that I use for backup and the Gigabyte board would assist that. I hope its not some weird bug in the 890fx chipset itself or something. As for that work around, that nvidia card SHOULD work because my 8800GTS works in the new system with that board. I need to post an update on the MSI forums and go to newegg and warn people who plan on buying the MSI board, probably give it 3 to 4 eggs because the board works great...with non Dual GPU cards or maybe just the HD 5970 in general. So sad...I hope there is something that can be done in the next few days before I send off this board. Just explain the problem to newegg and they will let you refund, I did and they let me because its a bug conflict and not the fault of me. I had no idea prior to purchase and it IS a brand new board that hasnt had this problem established.
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 2:01:15 PM

starfoxacefox said:
Might get Crosshair IV formula, really built well. Gigabyte always been bring up the rear in system builds for me. I build them everyday so ya.

Foxler



Fox, I'd be wary of the C4F i've seen reports of the Heatsink screws being wacky on the reviews there at newegg...
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 2:54:08 PM

goodymon22 said:
Ok so I have called MSi this morning (which by the way I would like to point out that its nice talking to technical support people from America since they talk normal and dont sound like they are reading a script from a book, so I have been very happy with MSi tech support they are very helpful) but anyways they said they are going to try to duplicate the problem with the MSi 890FXA-GD70 running a Radeon HD 5970 so I am going to be waiting to hear back from them.

However when I get home tonight I am going to borrow one of my friends much smaller NVidia cards and see if that cures the

"PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

and possible even the slow boot problem. If that does work then this would appear to be just a hardware conflict between MSi 890FXA-GD70 and the Radeon HD 5970.

I also plan on trying to install Windows XP and see if that makes a difference, this should eliminate the possibility of it being a software or driver problem if they still have the same conflict.

Sadly if this is some sort hardware conflict and there is no fix to make them work together then I will be having to change motherboards. I think if I cant get this one to work I will be going with the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

which I imagine newegg should allow me to return it with no restocking fee but I hope it doesn't come to that.



I just got off the phone with MSI myself and the gentlemen said he'd try and call me back in a couple hours and I told him about my distress and my outright love of the company almost since day 1 of my PC building days and he offered me a free upgrade to the yet unannounced Big Bang Fusion MoBo for AMD CPUs that allows crossing of Nvidia and ATI cards I got excited and said that'd be great but i'd prefer a fix to this problem right now, plus Im personally getting a little tired of waiting and who knows when they'll release that motherboard...just thought i'd add to the list of people calling MSI to let them know whats up.
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 4:43:18 PM

Good news I got beta Bios from MSI today "MSI Tech. 05/18/2010 Please try this beta bios and see if that resolves your problem"

If it work I will let you guys know and you can request bios from MSI.

Bios: 7640v145

Foxler
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 5:05:46 PM

starfoxacefox said:
Good news I got beta Bios from MSI today "MSI Tech. 05/18/2010 Please try this beta bios and see if that resolves your problem"

If it work I will let you guys know and you can request bios from MSI.

Bios: 7640v145

Foxler


I just received the same email as well, I wont be able to try it until I get home tonight but I will post as soon as I know if it works or not!!

*fingers crossed*
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 5:12:15 PM

goodymon22 said:
I just received the same email as well, I wont be able to try it until I get home tonight but I will post as soon as I know if it works or not!!

*fingers crossed*


~shakes my head~

Nah no go..

Pci Express Standard Root Port - Code 12

Foxler
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 10:42:47 PM

starfoxacefox said:
~shakes my head~

Nah no go..

Pci Express Standard Root Port - Code 12

Foxler



I hope you call or email them back so they can address it before the bios thing goes live...I only have like two more days before I must send the board off. I'd call them myself but I cant cause I have to go to work but I'll call them when I get off in the morning again for sure...we should keep on them
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 12:38:13 AM

Alright I will keep in touch with them, seeing how fast they got a beta bios out they should be able to fix this shortly. If you really want to keep the board, I would and pressure them harder.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 1:23:07 AM

Ok so I just tried the Beta Bios version 1.4B5 with no success, same

"PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

I am very please to have been kept informed about the beta bios and how quickly they came out with one, I will be calling them tomorrow to let them know that it didn't work and hope for the next one.

Because of a very long power failure last night I never had a chance to try a smaller video card so I'm off to try that now.
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 1:46:01 AM

Ok so I tried my friends BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT with the latest drivers (197.45 WHQL) and sadly it works... no more slow boot, no more "PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use" and the card is properly recognized in the device manager.

I guess that means that it is a hardware conflict between MSi 890FXA-GD70 and the Radeon HD 5970 and need to just pray for a bios fix for this problem.

I have called newegg and they said that I can wait until the last day of the 30 day return policy for a fix and if there is no fix by then that I can call them back and have the return policy extended at that time or return it. "Come on MSi we're counting on you!" By the way I am an Asus fan and this is my first MSi product ever but I just like the setup of this board to much to want to lose it.
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 4:27:09 AM

Good job trying to figure this problem out guys I'm glad to see the members at tomshardware trying to find a solution.
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 8:07:15 AM

Well it's my job to find a solution, fairly I'm getting sick of it. That why I get pay so other don't have to deal with it.

Funny thing I've yet to find ANY reviews on this board tested with 5970 :p  So it was well known issue and MSI told them which video card to review with or they spent all that good money on games lol

Comes on you think company would $$$$$$$ would have tested for these things.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 1:01:02 PM

i'll definitely be calling them this morning as well...I might call newegg too and see If I can wait till the end myself. I really like the setup of this board too and bein an MSI guy it sucks to have to send it back. I'm pleased that they are trying to fix the issue. Let's hope they can find one.
m
0
l
May 19, 2010 9:56:37 PM

I talk with them today and they said that HQ still working on a fix, should hear something in next few days. Hope is coming, at least they made make sure we keep buying from them

Foxler
m
0
l
May 20, 2010 1:17:43 PM

hey fox, were you gonna wait till the last of the thirty days from newegg to RMA or do it anyway?
m
0
l
May 20, 2010 6:34:02 PM

OH BOY!! Just got an email with another beta bios to try, I won't be able to try it until I get home tonight but as soon as I try it I will be sure to post if it worked or not!!

*fingers crossed*
m
0
l
May 20, 2010 7:20:30 PM

Bios v1.6 Beta 1 Works. No other testing been done after boot.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 21, 2010 1:39:44 AM

starfoxacefox said:
Bios v1.6 Beta 1 Works. No other testing been done after boot.

Foxler



It does work, however, now I cant set my RAM to 1600 mhz anymore. I get a black screen and have to wipe the CMOS battery. Funny, when I used my single gpu I was able to do this no problem and have it boot. I set the voltage to 1.65v and changed my timing to 7 8 7 24 moved my stepping to 1:4 like I used to and now I cant get it to come back up...any clues. New BIOS bug? Or am I missing something...
m
0
l
May 21, 2010 1:55:55 AM

Sigh... I think the universe doesn't want me to have this build or something. I arrived home today with high hopes of installing the new bios and without even doing anything to the computer yet I tried turning it on and now it wont post... I have tried clearing the CMOS by using the JBAT1 jumpers and removing and replacing the battery but still no post. It stays stuck on 2A on the debug LED panel "Initialize onboard devices. Load Option ROM (VGA and RAID option ROM) from BIOS to memory"

I SHALL NOT SURRENDER!!

Sigh... guess i'm calling MSi and newegg tomorrow to RMA this board...

finally a bios that should work and now this!!
m
0
l
May 21, 2010 2:08:18 AM

jedirobus said:
It does work, however, now I cant set my RAM to 1600 mhz anymore. I get a black screen and have to wipe the CMOS battery. Funny, when I used my single gpu I was able to do this no problem and have it boot. I set the voltage to 1.65v and changed my timing to 7 8 7 24 moved my stepping to 1:4 like I used to and now I cant get it to come back up...any clues. New BIOS bug? Or am I missing something...


Hmm I only have 1333 but, it work fine pushing it 1600 on the bus, but could be that with more resources video card, wont let higher memory speed. I did see something like that with MSi nForce 4 x16 SLI board, after placing 2 7950GX2 in there it wouldn't see more than 2.5gb of ram out of my 3gb''s at the bios level.

Foxler
m
0
l
May 21, 2010 2:16:27 AM

If you guys want any help you can always poke me at starfoxACEFOX on YIM or Skype.

Work for Level 3 Communications in datacenter and laptop technician for HP.

:p  Power to Sun and Sgi

Foxler
m
0
l
May 24, 2010 4:23:30 AM

goodymon22 said:
Sigh... I think the universe doesn't want me to have this build or something. I arrived home today with high hopes of installing the new bios and without even doing anything to the computer yet I tried turning it on and now it wont post... I have tried clearing the CMOS by using the JBAT1 jumpers and removing and replacing the battery but still no post. It stays stuck on 2A on the debug LED panel "Initialize onboard devices. Load Option ROM (VGA and RAID option ROM) from BIOS to memory"

I SHALL NOT SURRENDER!!

Sigh... guess i'm calling MSi and newegg tomorrow to RMA this board...

finally a bios that should work and now this!!


Hello, my name is Dominic and I just built my computer and I have the same issue with the MSI 890FXA-GD70 with the HD Radeon 5970. I've been building computers fro 10yrs and have never had any problems with MSI motherboards. I just spent $800 on the Radeon 5970; I hope it is the motherboard. The sad part about this is I believe my 30 days has ran out so I hope they have a bios fix. In the mean time I will have to go get the Gigabyte motherboard and see if it works with the Radeon 5970. If they get a bios fix I will put the MSI motherboard back in. I work from 7 am - 7 pm at nite so no time to contact MSI tech support, I'm so glad there are people like you out there to help us out! I will keep in touch with you thru these posts and the reviews to see what's going on. If MSI gets a bio fix or not. Thank you for your help!
m
0
l
!