jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
ok so im going to upgrade my cpu in a few weeks or months and iw as woundering what would be the best (this is my midrange gaming comp with a 5770)

choices are

AMD Athlon II X4 630

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition

AMD Phenom II X4 955

oh and my resoultionn is 1280x1024

This should answer you're question as this clocks a phenom ii down to athlon ii speeds. Measuring just the performance differance between the L3 cache and no L3 cache.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,2416.html

Will is make a difference. It could have some noticeable affect on some game but most of the time, the difference will not be noticeable.

On the cpu side of gaming: the GHz of the particular cpu will affect the performance of a game more than the cache in a cpu (up to a certain point on some (if not, on most) cpu's.)

Although the Gpu performance will have the most effect on the majority of games.

Under normal setup, this would be the case. As the Phenom ii's have l3 cache and have higher ghz. Equalling better performance.

Although he was asking about just the L3 alone which would not be much of a performance changer unless he targeting only app that will use the l3 cache to it's fullest advantage.