Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DVD drive not recognized in bios, no OS

Last response: in Motherboards
February 3, 2011 12:53:35 AM

I just replaced my dead motherboard with an Intel D945gpm in an old HP media center pc. I have 2 IDE drives, CD ROM and DVD. The CD drive is recognized in bios, but not the DVD. I switched positions on IDE ribbon from Master to slave and bios recognizes the change in the CD position, but still no DVD drive. DVD drive is HP 640. I have updated bios to most recent available from Intel (2009) but no DVD drive. I've changed IDE ribbons, but nothing. Drive has power and spins up when disc is inserted. I only have windows on a DVD so I need the drive to install the OS. Any suggestions on what to look for? Is it a driver or controller? DVD functions on old motherboard.
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 5:17:48 PM

You should check the jumper configuration on the DVD drive. If it is set to Cable Select, and the CD drive is set to either Master or Slave, then it wont work. They have to either be both on Cable select, or each one should be master or slave.

edit: I looked for a pic that would say how the jumpers were configged but I couldn't find anything.
Score
Related resources
a b α HP
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 5:41:48 PM

Sifter707 said:
I just replaced my dead motherboard with an Intel D945gpm in an old HP media center pc. I have 2 IDE drives, CD ROM and DVD. The CD drive is recognized in bios, but not the DVD. I switched positions on IDE ribbon from Master to slave and bios recognizes the change in the CD position, but still no DVD drive. DVD drive is HP 640. I have updated bios to most recent available from Intel (2009) but no DVD drive. I've changed IDE ribbons, but nothing. Drive has power and spins up when disc is inserted. I only have windows on a DVD so I need the drive to install the OS. Any suggestions on what to look for? Is it a driver or controller? DVD functions on old motherboard.

Are you sure the DVD drive works? It's not uncommon for a drive to fail.

As fester mentioned, check the jumper settings. There is usually abbreviations above the pins, for what the pin positions are.

Ubrales said:
Welcome to the Forum!

You may have to delete Upper and Lower filters. This thread will give you more information how to do this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/171067-32-drive-drive...

That solution is for when optical drives aren't showing in My Computer/Computer. It's a windows solution, not a BIOS one.
Score
February 4, 2011 9:38:30 PM

Ubrales said:
Welcome to the Forum!

You may have to delete Upper and Lower filters. This thread will give you more information how to do this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/171067-32-drive-drive...

I've been to that thread and tried all of the suggestions. I don't have an OS installed so upper and lower filters are not in play yet. I believe this is a bios/firmware issue. I updated the bios to the most recent Intel (Intel board) bios available on their website and this problem existed on the old bios and updated bios.
Score
February 4, 2011 9:59:30 PM

festerovic said:
You should check the jumper configuration on the DVD drive. If it is set to Cable Select, and the CD drive is set to either Master or Slave, then it wont work. They have to either be both on Cable select, or each one should be master or slave.

edit: I looked for a pic that would say how the jumpers were configged but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. Been there done that. I tried all available versions of master & slave jumpers and changed positions on IDE ribbon and ran through the different combinations of jumpers...nothing. Changed the IDE ribbon as well. Drive works and shows up on the old motherboard. I'm stumped.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2011 5:20:41 PM

Sounds like it may be time to just get a new $20 CD/DVD burner if you got the $.
Score
February 12, 2011 2:56:20 PM

Will a new DVD burner suddenly show up in the bios even if the old one won't? Why would a new one be recognized by the bios when the old one isn't? I'm trying to locate another DVD drive to try out.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 6:17:25 PM

because the drive is broken. Why would your dvd drive not show up and your cd would? IDE controllers don't usually work/not work with dvd drives when they do with CD, they will usually not work with both. And that would have to be one hell of an old controller.
Score
February 12, 2011 11:34:16 PM

The DVD drive works just fine on the old ASUS mobo when I fire it back up. So why would this Intel mobo not recognize it, but recognize the CD drive? Where dio I find updated controllers - Intel website? Can I load them with a USB drive or does it have to be with a floppy? I don't have a floppy - computer didn't come with one. Computer is an HP media center n7060 bought in 2005.
Score
February 26, 2011 12:39:49 PM

I replaced the DVD drive with an older CD/DVD drive and it worked well enough to get Windows installed. I noticed my DVD drive has a firmware update available from HP and I will try to get it updated to see if that was the problem. I now have to find another computer to use in order to update the DVD drive's firmware because it is still not recognized in the HP computer.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2011 4:05:27 PM

The controllers inability to see the dvd drive could be related to the firmware. Try that first. Also could be that the type of DVD drive just will not work with the hardware on the mobo. I have seen it before, and chalked it up to a cheapo DVD drive. Also, DVD drives were new when I did that. Also, my drive came from an external DVD product, which i think was my problem.
March 1, 2011 12:40:26 AM

I did the firmware update to the DVD on another computer where the DVD drive worked just fine. Then I tried it again in the HP computer at issue and the DVD drive still doesn't show up in the BIOS. But get this, Windows sees the drive just fine...so I chalk this one up to incompatible hardware and move on.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts. I really appreciate your insight and knowledge of the issues that were in play here. Hopefully this will help others who run into similar problems.
Score
March 1, 2011 12:40:57 AM

Best answer selected by Sifter707.
Score
September 17, 2012 6:02:00 AM

festerovic said:
The controllers inability to see the dvd drive could be related to the firmware. Try that first. Also could be that the type of DVD drive just will not work with the hardware on the mobo. I have seen it before, and chalked it up to a cheapo DVD drive. Also, DVD drives were new when I did that. Also, my drive came from an external DVD product, which i think was my problem.

I HAVE BASIC COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE, SO GO EASY ON ME!
Ok, I have a Dell XPS 420 with a windows vista operating system. I have a cdrom rw as well as a dvd r/rw drive. The cdrom is E and the dvd r/rw is F. I was on Dell, noticing that there were a lot of driver updates, so I started installing them. Bios, Chipset, and a lot of firmware drivers. I was UNAWARE, THAT ALL OF THEM PROBABLY DIDN’T GO TO MY COMPUTER DEVICES, so I just installed them one by one. After all of this, I noticed my dvd (F drive) was gone, but not really, it was now being called the E drive and there was no F anymore. It doesn’t show up in Bios, Windows, or the device manager. Only one shows up.
I started out by doing system restore(back to before I installed all that stuff), then I unplugged both sata and power cables, started the computer with them unplugged, then plugged them back in and started the computer with them plugged in. Still only E drive. Then, I switched the sata cables from one drive to the other, then as suspected, the cd rw would show up, but then the dvd rw was gone, still only one, called E. However, I did discover that both drives still work fine, as I put disks in as I switched them, restarted, and switched them back. I realized that where the top cdrom drive plugs into the motherboard, that little plug in isn’t being recognized. But I don’t know what to do to make it be recognized. I also believe that I have now messed up the regedit, I saw about deleting the lower and upper filters online, so I went in to do that, however, instead of just deleting them from current control, control, class, ect… I also noticed that I had controlset 001-011 so I went into each of those, and deleted the upper and lower filters as well, (without saving any files first, since I didn’t know u were suppose too. )since it didn’t fix it the first time. Then, I tried to fix what I did by making a file, (see below), and merging it into the regedit.
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

Although this successfully merged, it didn’t make my F drive with my other cdrom show up. So, will someone please tell me what to do, to get the little connector thing on the motherboard to work again, since it worked fine the other day before I started installing drivers that I didn’t know how to install. I also reinstalled the prior version of the bios, and the chipset.
Score
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2012 7:26:07 PM

^ Start your own thread for your problem, its different than the OPs.
Score
a b α HP
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2012 12:34:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
Score
!