DId you notice?

shovenose

Distinguished
that i just changed the psu in my sig line from Xtreme Power 400w to Allied 500w?
do you care to know why?

well, i was typing merrily away at toms here, and on my mouse's way to the submit reply button, my screen artifacted. hmmm...interesting...then theres a POP! from the rear end of my computer, smoke comes billowing out, and it dies.
my lovely HIGH QUALITY :p psu just died :( upon opening it, i found that one of the black thingies attached to the heatsink is blackened, a capacitor looks like it just pooped, and the fuse is burnt out. so that piece of crap went to the junk pile. so of course i find another crappy powe supply, this time an alled 500w...
(one that i know already has a few burst capacitors), and now my copmuter works great again! :)

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
The black thingy attached to the heatsink looks like this I presume?

550px-TO-220_Front_Coloured_svg.png

If so, then that's one of the voltage regulators.

shovenose

Distinguished
@well its not a cooler master. it is (was) a xtreme power lp-6100d.
and i got it nearly for free, and yes the computer was fine thankfully.
oh and i was kidding about HIGH QUALITY!
@pyroflea: yep...
what type of failure happened to kill one of those voltage reg things?

ares1214

Splendid
yeah, i have so much broken tech im too lazy to fix, like 5 year old laptops whose hdds burned out, or about 30 dead psus. i wonder if you are allowed to sell broken stuff on ebay :lol: :lol: those are my funds for bulldozer (or sandy bridge, gotta see the bench's, but my guess now goes to BD being better)

shovenose

Distinguished
well if you sell it as broken im sure someone who is good with fixing broken psus can use them. give it a shot, like $5 per broken psu. and then just buy parts (liek hdds), fix the laptops, and sell them. then give all the money to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Consider yourself lucky then. I know some people sobbing (literally) over their dead HDDs and motherboards due to PSU faulty. That's why I bought a "better" PSU for $42 at a Computer Exhibition. It's worth every penny...

shovenose

Distinguished

well actually i rescued that psu from my friend who was using it in a core2quad rig, dual 9800pe cards, an h50 cooler, and massive OC on every piece in the copmuter :) i think thats where it gots its leaky caps. and i think its such cheap crap that it didnt even shut down at high loads :lol:

well it's funny because there is a Cooler Master eXtreme Power
though i just noticed and it probably slipped that yours has no "e" in the front (for Xtreme)

good to hear that the rest of the computer is ok (that would suck real bad)
didn't know you were joking about high quality though as i have known some people who use CM all of the time

EDIT: stupid google took me to the wrong site (it found High Power first, be happy it isn't one of those)
though is this you PSU: High Power Plus 405w, still doesn't look that good (25A on the 12v combined), and that's if it can be trusted

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
EDIT: stupid google took me to the wrong site (it found High Power first, be happy it isn't one of those)
though is this you PSU: High Power Plus 405w, still doesn't look that good (25A on the 12v combined), and that's if it can be trusted[/quotemsg]

I assume you've checked my rig's details. I know, it's a shabby one :pfff:

But if you care to look carefully, every part of my rig is power efficiency (and price) -minded. Using onboard GPU, relatively low TDP CPU, and power efficient motherboard (Tom's reference) is my goal from the very moment I plan to build a PC. That's why I bought the PSU to replace the crappy with-case-combo one. With my PC's max power requirement of 230W, the 405W with active PFC and 80+ standard efficiency is more than enough for reassurance from overload purposes.

Well, even with my low level of expertise, I know that the PSU doesn't have a high reliability factor. That's why I use the term "better" (with quotes)... lol

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Yes, that's after I bargain straight with the head boss who happens to be inspecting his employees. The initial price was $45. I was also skeptical at first, looking at the brand which is not familiar to me. But with some hard convincing effort, the salesman beat me with his proofs and sweet talking.

This is the "facts" he showed:

- The PSU was made by Sirfa, a long time manufacturer for OEM companies (whatever that means).
- The capacitors are tier 1 and 2 from Japan (I guess it has something to do with the resistance).
- Photos of reviewed PSU, with case opened!!!..(this is the one that gave me the death blow!!!).
- Warranty is personally guaranteed by the company, 1 to 1 replacement (wow!!!).

And it's been working like a charm, hopefully for many years to come..... :D

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

I guess you haven't heard the whole story yet: It was the old, crappy, good-for-nothing PSU almost cost me my whole brand new system. It was fine at first, but when I started to play graphic intensive games, it suddenly stops. Sometimes it went to BSOD. At first I thought I screwed up somewhere in the installation. But after an extensive research, I found out that the problem is on the PSU, and it can lead to a total system failure. OMG!!!.. my $300 setup (I know it's not much, but it came from my 3 months saving...lol)

And that's where my PSU story begins...which ended with a happy ending...(tech romance)...hahahahaha

it's always a bit scary when things like this happen, though i am saving around $1500 by the end of the summer to change my desktop from a Phenom II X4 + 790GX to a Phenom II X6 + 890FX and add a decent raid controller to my server and add 4 more drives (moving from raid 0 to raid 10), i have good reason to do this to my server, but not so much for the desktop as i want to mess around with Xen and GPU pass through to virtual machines (linux as main OS, windows as a guest but with access to the video card)

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Are you referring to an external AVR or the internal PC PSU? Since both components are highly different in terms of application.