Sign in with
Your question

6 Cores - Buy Core i7 980x or 970?

Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2010 2:29:48 AM

Now that the Gulfi 970 is out, I am not sure what to buy when comparing the extreme 980x to 970. I am currently using a 920@3.8 and would like to get a 6-core-processor.

I am not sure what is the big difference bewteen the 2. Besides the clock speed, do you think it is really worth getting the 980? Appreciate if you share your experience with 6-core-cpu.

Thanks in advance.

More about : cores buy core 980x 970

a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 2:41:19 AM

to be honest, if you want a 6 core, get a thuban, both of those cpus are grossly overpriced. think, you could buy 2 thubans and corresponding motherboards for less than the price of either 1 of them! and if you REALLY wanna waste your money, the only difference is lower clock speed and unlocked multiplier. personally, i think if someone is willing to spend 900$ on a cpu, they are willing to spend 1K.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
July 22, 2010 2:43:07 AM

kennyman said:
Now that the Gulfi 970 is out, I am not sure what to buy when comparing the extreme 980x to 970. I am currently using a 920@3.8 and would like to get a 6-core-processor.

I am not sure what is the big difference bewteen the 2. Besides the clock speed, do you think it is really worth getting the 980? Appreciate if you share your experience with 6-core-cpu.

Thanks in advance.

The big difference is that the 980X has an unlocked multiplier, so it can be easier to overclock and more flexible in overclocking than a locked CPU like the 970. Otherwise, it's 133 MHz faster and $100 more expensive. If it were me, I'd probably go for the 980X since it's only slightly more expensive (relatively speaking) and has the unlocked multiplier. But they're both ungodly expensive CPUs and you won't see a huge difference between them and your i7 920. They will perform noticeably better in heavily multithreaded applications but nowhere near better enough to justify the massive cost. If they were $300, I'd say go for it, but not at the ~$900 to $1000 range.
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
July 22, 2010 6:01:07 AM

I would assume the 980X is binned better to be honest since it is an extreme edition, and it gets the unlocked multiplier. I would personally spend the extra on it, if I were to ever consider getting a gulftown.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
July 22, 2010 6:47:01 AM

kennyman said:
Now that the Gulfi 970 is out, I am not sure what to buy when comparing the extreme 980x to 970.

Seems like you are in apprehension and i'd advice you to stay that way.. None of them is worth a buy (much less an upgrade), not even if you are a high profile 3D designer/modeler.. May be you can spend all that money on getting new accessories and/or upgrading other system components like getting a nice case or upgrading your graphic card setup etc.. Feel free to give us your system details and ask for suggestions..
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 7:14:15 AM

kennyman said:

Thanks in advance.

If you have between $900-$1000 to spend on a CPU, then good on ya. Personally I see no reason to switch to six cores just for the sake of having them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 9:09:40 AM

Your current CPU is excellent. With the money for the 980x buy something else like a small country.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 9:27:06 AM

for the price of one of those, you could buy a new AMD mobo and a 1090t, and have enough left to treat the missus to a night out.

or, if you are single, spend the saved cash on a nice new haircut, a comfy bath robe and some new video games.

you see, AMD just makes life better.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 12:06:30 PM

yeah, if you ask me, id wait for sandy bridge and bulldozer, worst thing that can happen is it gets clocked higher and prices come down.
m
l
July 24, 2010 4:47:40 AM

MU_Engineer said:
The big difference is that the 980X has an unlocked multiplier, so it can be easier to overclock and more flexible in overclocking than a locked CPU like the 970. Otherwise, it's 133 MHz faster and $100 more expensive. If it were me, I'd probably go for the 980X since it's only slightly more expensive (relatively speaking) and has the unlocked multiplier. But they're both ungodly expensive CPUs and you won't see a huge difference between them and your i7 920. They will perform noticeably better in heavily multithreaded applications but nowhere near better enough to justify the massive cost. If they were $300, I'd say go for it, but not at the ~$900 to $1000 range.

My friend has a thuban and I played around with it, for a 6-core it is not that powerful. I did some benchmarks and my core 920 beats it by 15-20%. That`s the reason why i am not looking an AMD for now, but nevertheless it is well priced and I will recommend it to any user who wants to get rid of core 2 duo/quad. But for a nehalem user , does not make sense to move from core i7 to thuban.

Thus I am looking into just to upgrade my CPU. Below is the rig spec:

CPU 920@3.8
Mobo Asus P6T V2
Mem 6GB Patriot running below 1333
Cooler Megahalem
2 x 500gb HDD Samsung on raid 0 using *Highpoint 2640 port 1&2
2 x 2TB Samsung running in Raid 1 *Highpoint 2640 port 3&4
Video Inno GTX 285 oc
PSU Antec TruePower 750
Case is NXZT Evo Tempest with custom fans.
Dual booting OS Win 7 64 bit/SL 64 bit

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 4:51:09 AM

actually, overall the 1090T is a better buy than the i7. and the thuban beats the i7 by that margin in quite a few tests too, it just depends what you use to test it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 11:18:29 AM

OK Although I like ares statement for the Thuban's. YOUR CPU IS GREAT RIGHT NOW! You have an i7 920 -.- I mean you really don't need any better. The benefits are probably just improved performance in multi-threaded programs. But even in games, games are rarely coded to run over 2 cores. Like in Fallout 3 EVEN THAT GAME WAS CODED FOR 1 CORE! You don't need to upgrade anything. Also, if you do feel the need to upgrade. I wouldn't wait for the Sandy Bridge as rumors have been floating around that you actually have to pay extra for Unlocked Multipliers lol, BUT if Bit-Tech is correct, which i think they are. They you do. Intel is greedy after all. (Side note: My dad who knows nothing about computers, when i told him an intel CPU costed 1000$ he was like "Who the F would buy a 1000$ CPU, crazy people" in chinese LAWL) anywho, I'd wait for the AMD Bulldozer, it looks like it could be the game changer.
m
l
July 24, 2010 12:03:14 PM

just stay with ur current rig... that's not a worthy upgrade...( waste of money though).....
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 12:37:31 PM

Wait and see what Sandy Bridge and Thuban Bulldozer will bring us. Their release dates are not far from now, be patient.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 12:49:48 PM

You mean bulldozer?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 1:38:56 PM

yes
m
l
July 25, 2010 1:29:11 AM

iqvl said:
Wait and see what Sandy Bridge and Thuban Bulldozer will bring us. Their release dates are not far from now, be patient.

Sandy bridge high end CPUs won`t be available until the Q3 2011 *in nearly 1 year. Bulldozer is ahead of the schedule but who knows, AMD is well known to push back release date. AMD`s Orochi is expected to be a 6/8 core CPU with 8MB cache, supporting DDR3 RAM, manufactured on 32nm.

Let`s dig into the recent benchmarks and reviews,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-10...

AMD 6 cores cannot even reach a 4 core (nehalem) in some reviews. Now it I have to wait for 8 cores with 8MB cache, I would prefer to go with 6 cores and 12 MB of cache. When times come, who ever win the cpu speed battle, i can always re-sell my intel 6 cores and get little money out of it to invest into what will out in Q3 2011...

This is how I see it, but I do appreciate your thoughts too. Thanks.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
July 25, 2010 1:31:39 AM

Would say go with the 980X if you got the money for it. If I had $1000 to spend I would get it hell yea.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 1:59:48 AM

kennyman said:
Sandy bridge high end CPUs won`t be available until the Q3 2011 *in nearly 1 year. Bulldozer is ahead of the schedule but who knows, AMD is well known to push back release date. AMD`s Orochi is expected to be a 6/8 core CPU with 8MB cache, supporting DDR3 RAM, manufactured on 32nm.

Let`s dig into the recent benchmarks and reviews,

AMD 6 cores cannot even reach a 4 core (nehalem) in some reviews. Now it I have to wait for 8 cores with 8MB cache, I would prefer to go with 6 cores and 12 MB of cache. When times come, who ever win the cpu speed battle, i can always re-sell my intel 6 cores and get little money out of it to invest into what will out in Q3 2011...

This is how I see it, but I do appreciate your thoughts too. Thanks.

from http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nehalem-sandy-bridge-p... :
Quote:
Intel CEO Paul Otellini yesterday said at a developer forum in Beijing that it's shipping volume samples of Sandy Bridge to customers in Q1 2010 as an early step towards commercial production later this year. Actual chips will be hitting sometime in early 2011.

I believe that high end units will not be released later than mainstream at least not as late as you stated based on the past experience.

Don't waste your money even you have a lot to burn. In addition, there are very low percentage of peoples who own Intel Gulftown. Let say, 99.9999999999999999% peoples can live without 980X. Why couldn't you? Can't you even bear losing to merely 0.0000000000000001% of Earth's citizen? Stay with the 920 and be happy as many others suggested.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 4:00:54 AM

You have a 920. Why bother changing?

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 1:14:46 PM

id bet 200$ you wont even notice the difference, and if you do, you can give the i7 to me :p 
m
l
July 26, 2010 11:08:47 PM

iqvl said:
from http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nehalem-sandy-bridge-p... :
Quote:
Intel CEO Paul Otellini yesterday said at a developer forum in Beijing that it's shipping volume samples of Sandy Bridge to customers in Q1 2010 as an early step towards commercial production later this year. Actual chips will be hitting sometime in early 2011.

I believe that high end units will not be released later than mainstream at least not as late as you stated based on the past experience.

Don't waste your money even you have a lot to burn. In addition, there are very low percentage of peoples who own Intel Gulftown. Let say, 99.9999999999999999% peoples can live without 980X. Why couldn't you? Can't you even bear losing to merely 0.0000000000000001% of Earth's citizen? Stay with the 920 and be happy as many others suggested.

I agree with you on Otellini`s statement, but when looking at the Intel roadmap, Intel planned to release Sandy to mainstream first, then high end.

BTW, I forgot to mention that my main purpose on this rig is working with photo, video, virtual app testing, remotesupport and CAD. I do game from time to time, that`s why i threw away my Qua FX580 to get the GTX280 which works just fine.

In fact, one of my team mate just purchased the 970, will have a look at t coming weekend. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for sharing your views, I wanted to invest into other part of the rig at the beginning. Wanted to swap case, but looking at the price of the dark fleet from ANTEC, I prefer to stick to my NZXT EVO for now.

m
l
August 17, 2010 1:30:03 PM

Best answer selected by kennyman.
m
l
!