Sign in with
Your question

Perpetual reboot

Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2010 4:31:35 AM

While setting up a wireless network on a recent build I got a Windows XP message that there were updates waiting to be installed. After installing them the system will boot only as far as the splash screen and then reboot. Any ideas?

More about : perpetual reboot

May 17, 2010 6:43:58 AM

Yep. Restore your registry.

Please provide more info about your setup.
m
l
May 17, 2010 3:22:35 PM

FALC0N said:
Yep. Restore your registry.

Please provide more info about your setup.

It's a Gigabyte series S MB. I don't have access to the model number at the moment. Phenom II x 2 BE CPU, 2GB DDR800, & XP Pro, SP2. So far I've been unable to access the screen usually available from pressing F8. I can enter the BIOS but can't find anything that looks suspicious. I'm afraid my only option is to re-format.
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2010 7:43:41 PM

No, there are ways to restore your registry without being able to boot.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Build one of these cd's and boot off of it. It has a utility that allows you to use system restore and pick the date to restore to. That should fix your problem.
m
l
May 17, 2010 8:49:24 PM

FALC0N said:

Build one of these cd's and boot off of it. It has a utility that allows you to use system restore and pick the date to restore to. That should fix your problem.

WOW!! That's some utility. I didn't see anything that looked like a system restore program. Do you happen to know the name?
m
l
May 17, 2010 10:20:05 PM

ram1009 said:
WOW!! That's some utility. I didn't see anything that looked like a system restore program. Do you happen to know the name?

Im not sure what you mean. The name of the utility that restores the registry?

I don't recall off hand, but it is on there by default. So just burn it as is and you should be fine. It boots and looks much like a typical XP desktop. If you have trouble finding it in the menu, let me know and I will walk you through it. But it is there.
m
l
May 17, 2010 10:51:14 PM

FALC0N said:
Im not sure what you mean. The name of the utility that restores the registry?

I don't recall off hand, but it is on there by default. So just burn it as is and you should be fine. It boots and looks much like a typical XP desktop. If you have trouble finding it in the menu, let me know and I will walk you through it. But it is there.

OK, I was expecting a DOS based program rather than a Windows desktop. I will try this tonight and see how it goes. Thanks again.
m
l
May 18, 2010 12:27:14 AM

The simple way to fix this problem is to hit the F8 key on the keyboard just as windows starts to load and from the menu chose boot from last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked).
m
l
May 18, 2010 12:50:34 AM

pjmelect said:
The simple way to fix this problem is to hit the F8 key on the keyboard just as windows starts to load and from the menu chose boot from last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked).

Thanks, but the system won't respond to F8.
m
l
May 18, 2010 12:57:15 AM

FALC0N said:

I smell a rat. The link you furnished tells about this wonderful FREE CD but when you click "download" you go to a site that wants $40. Whats going on?
m
l
May 18, 2010 3:31:20 AM

I eventually found the free download, not that it mattered.
the disk I created failed to boot the machine. I've already spent enough time to have reformatted.
m
l
May 18, 2010 9:11:06 AM

pjmelect said:

Doesn't always work. The boot cd allows you to select which restore point by date. I have fixed machines with this identical problem. I had to go a few restore points back.
m
l
May 18, 2010 9:16:39 AM

ram1009 said:
I eventually found the free download, not that it mattered.
the disk I created failed to boot the machine. I've already spent enough time to have reformatted.

Are you sure you did it right? Its not the easiest thing to put together. And its a good bet it fixes your problem.

And yes, its free. Its just a modified Bart disk with lots of utilities, most of which are free. A few are trial-ware. It has a list right there.
m
l
!