Asus P6x58d question

metaldav2005

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I'm wondering if I have my mobo set up correctly. I have ASUS P6X58D mobo with a Seagate 1.5tb Barracuda Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G 7200.11. The problem I seem to be having is I just installed Call of Duty 4 and it takes almost 30 mins to startup. That can't be right. I'm new to PC gaming but there's got to be something I don't have set right. I'm running a I7 960 stock with Patriot Viper DDR3 1600mHz 6GB kit. Other programs are taking a long time to start as well. Any help will be appreciated.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Swap SATA cables ... use a different colored SATA port, on the mobo (if so).

... There were (i heard rumor of) some firmware probs, with the 7200.11 series, at one time ...

... It takes just a few minutes to flash the latest drive firmware, from Seagate support.

... Also, right click the drive icon and disable indexing.

That is all really quick and easy stuff that might solve without any protracted methodology ... but if none of that solves ... the process will get more involved and ... well ... a bit more "sticky" ... cross your fingers and hope.

= all that make sense? =

metaldav2005

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hi Alvin,
Thanks for your time in answering my questions. I checked with Seagate and the model# and serial # on my drive needs no updates at this time so I'm good there. I swaped out the cable, moved the cable to sata1 port on the mobo. Check the BIOS and made sure my boot drive was my HD, disabled indexing. The only diffrent colored sata ports I have are the ATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. Still no change.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
next would be to plant that HDD into another system and/or to place a "known-good" drive on that port and using that cable.

ALSO! ... Go ahead and hook it up to the SATA3 6GB/sec port ... should run fine there, too. ... enable in BIOS.

= Al =

PS: review a disk controller coverage, in your mobo manual, and also all HDD related BIOS screen descriptions.

... Finally ... disconnect ALL other drives ... optical too.

Give this a whirl ... let us know.

metaldav2005

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Well I don't have a "known good Hdd" to use, did what you said on the other things and still no progress. I'll tell you this, I have no clue what I'm seeing in BIOS and not sure if these settings are correct. The one thing I did find was that the hdd was not set to the 1st boot device so I changed that and then put the DVD second.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well, if you have any computer-savvy acquaintences, within your local community, you might get them to just give it a once-over ... (free dinner!). That might just be the most efficient route, if you have any options, there.

Another option is to read our checklist and do a very careful and deliberate build (again) from the screws on up ... testing and logging each step and component.

Third option? ... take it into geek-squad or a any pro service desk and ask them to "shake it down" and isolate any faults, defects, assembly errors or configuration errors.

Or some combination of the above, with our help (here) as a resource.

Time and urgency, as well as cash flow will determine your course.

= sorry we didn't knock it out on our first try ... we'll get it. ... missed something =

= Al =