Should I run WD lifeguard program in windows or in DOS before boot?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I ran it in windows and a quick test told me it's ok but I wanna know, before I waste a few hours of my life with the extended test on my 1TB hdd, if it matters if it runs before boot or in windows? I know that CHKDSK for example has to run the tests while the files aren't in use in the HDD, but is the lifeguard program good enough to bypass this problem?

Also, how the hell can i run it in DOS without a freakin' floppy disk? I tried placing it in a flash drive (it worked before for BIOS and other stuff) but no matter what I use... be it YUMI, unetbooting, simply placing the iso contents in the usb drive and a combination of them, nothing works. With YUMI I get a blank screen when I choose to boot the DOS image of the program, and in the other methods I simply get a command prompt and if I enter DGLDIAG or whatever the command was to start scanning was (found in the readme in the .iso) it doesn't work... so I believe it's kinda impossible to run it in DOS so I wanted to rule that out and be sure i didn't miss anything by not doing it.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Ah so I did the right thing after all, thanks. But I fixed the problem, I thought I had a bad sector but after a few CHKDSKs the problem went away, without a relocated or uncorrected sector.