X-FI Titanium Issues

SippyCupXIII

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Hello All,

I have been having a few issues with my new Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium sound card that I purchased. Now, I have read about there being some issues with the drivers with these cards but I haven't seen anything about the main problem that I am having.

So here is the situation, my primary speaker setup is running to a Logitech z5300e speakers and Turtle Beach HPA2 headset. Both of these are hooked up with standard analog 3.5mm plugs. However, I also have the optical out running to my Denon AVR890 receiver that I use sometimes for audio with my Samsung HL-T5687S tv for video. One of the main reasons why I got this card so that I can do Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect to the receiver over the optical out and get true 5.1 from gaming and such.

Now onto the problem, after either my computer has been on for a while (not sure exactly how long it needs to be, I know it is more than a couple hours) or I reboot the audio gets distorted. Now this only happens over the optical out running to the receiver and whether I am using Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, the analog inputs running to my Logitech speakers are fine. Now if I reset the console to defaults it fixes the issue and the audio is fine again until computer has been on for awhile or I reboot as before.

I am really at a loss here, I have tried to reinstall drivers multiple times but it doesn't fix the issue. I have tired to switch out optical audio cables and messed with the settings on my receiver with no luck either. It isn't a huge deal that I have to reset the console when ever I want to use my receiver for sound since I don't use it often but I would be nice to get this issue fixed. I would really appreciate any help on this issue that you guys can give me.

Now for a couple other minor issues I am having. Sometimes when I reset the console back to default I lose sound completely and I have to restart. After the restart everything is back to normal. Also, If I have Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect enabled when I shutdown my computer hangs and never shuts off. Now I have seen posts about this issue and it isn't a problem to just turn it off when I shutdown but if someone knows a fix I am all for it.

Back to the main issue though, I really need some help with this. I am willing to go as far as a reformat to get this fixed since I don't have a hole lot installed on my computer right now but I rather not if I can get around it. I will post my complete specs below. So please let me know what you guys think, thanks for your time!

Chris Stickles

Computer Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Motherboard: MSI P7N SLI Platinum
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad q9550
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR2 pc6400
Graphics Card: 1.28gb EVGA Geforce GTX 470
Physx Card: 512mb EVGA Geforce 9800GT
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium
Hard Drive: 80gb/(2x)500gb Western Digital IDE
Power Supply: Thermaltake 850watt TR2 RX
Monitor: 25" Hannspree HF257HPB
Speakers: Logitech z5300e
Headset: Turtle Beach HPA2

Home Theater Specs:

TV: 56" Samsung HL-T5687S
Receiver: Denon AVR890
Speakers: Klipsch VC-25 Center
Speakers: Klipsch VF-36 Fronts
Speakers: Klipsch VS-14 Surrounds
Speakers: Klipsch SUB-12 Subwoofer

...It COULD be an issue with DDL/DTS-C not working right during the start of a reboot cycle...try setting the output for SPDIF to PCM and see if the issue remains...

My *best* recommendation (other then ditching Creative, of course) is to try the Daniel_K driver pack.

SippyCupXIII

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for the reply, I tried to just pass stereo mix from the SPDIF to PCM and it doesn't get distorted like it does running the DDL or DTS so it has to be an issue with that. I looked for the Daniel_K driver pack and found a couple but I am not sure which is the most updated. The one I have right now is the X-FI Support Pack 2.0. This seems to be the most recent for the X-FI series. If not if you could supply a link for more up to date ones I would really appreciate it. If anyone else has some suggestions for me I am still up for more advice. Thanks All!