Secondary SATA drive problem after disk clone

quiksandy

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I recently cloned my system drive from a 250 GB Seagate to a 500 GB Seagate because the original drive was having some sector errors and we also needed more disk space.

The cloning process was fine and everything on the new 500 GB drive works, but now my secondary SATA drive (a 1 TB Hitachi) suddenly shows as a dynamic disk and is not appearing correctly. I cannot access any of the files. In the Windows Disk Management window it shows as "Disk 1", "Dynamic" and "Foreign". (I am running Windows XP Media Center.)

I desperately need the files on this drive. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

(note...I did briefly handle the drive (carefully) because I used the spot it was in during the cloning process. After the cloning process I returned the drive to it's original position/connections. Maybe it was damaged when we handled it? I've checked and rechecked that the connections are seated properly)

Thanks!
Sandy

Testdisklogo_clear_100.png
TestDisk, Data Recovery
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk Step By Step to recover lost partitions and repair damaged FAT/NTFS boot sector
Recover deleted files from NTFS partition

NOTE If seeked lost file are still missing, give PhotoRec a try. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility and may be able to recover your data where other methods failed.

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

quiksandy

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
The drive shows up under disk management as "Foreign". When I right click no the drive it gives me the option to "Import foreign drives". Would this help? I'm afraid to try - I don't want to lose my data.

Sandy