I need your help and suggestions.
Here is my Configuration:

AMD Phenom II x4 955
500gb sata hdd
500w power supply
2 x 2gb 800mhz fsb ram
mid tower Atx cabinet
785g chipset motherboard.

My problem is that i dont know which manufacturer's motherboard to buy.I got confused by the large no of motherboards.I would prefer Asus or gigabyte.But i will consider other motherboards if they are better in features per price.Kindly let me know a cheap but good motherboard.

I will buy a discrete graphics card later because my budget is over with current configuration.
So presently i would go for a good integrated GPU for few months.Is the 785 ok for integrated graphics?(I know 890gx is better but that costs me higher,so am not considering it).i would have chosen 790 over 785 but still i was thinking of spending that extra for buying the gpu.Is there any mistake in my decision?

I also have doubts whether my motherboard's chipset would bottleneck my cpu or gpu in the future.I would not consider multi gpu solutions.Also I am not looking for very strong gpus,so i have kept power supply 500w.i would consider hd series < hd58xx.Please tell whether it would sufficient.

Also is there any meaning in spending more on cabinet,presently i have opted for low cost cabinet.Would it affect later if i do overclocking on my cpu.
Presently i would not do any overclocking on my cpu but later after buying my gpu i would consider that.
Also what amounts of overclocking can i obtain with my stock cooler.Should i buy any separate cpu coolers?

My main purpose for this pc is gaming and watching movies.

I know i have asked too many questions,but kindly help me.

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
i am not going for athlon because i do not want any bottlenecks in future and i saw that 955BE were in the top line of cpu hierarchy chart of gaming cpus,Also i can easily over clock.

I am just presently out of money,so i am not considering discrete gpu but for sure will get new one within few months.I am saving for it.

Also no crossfire or sli is considered in future because i want to keep cost less.

i would say that your recommendation
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product is awesome in all the ways i see,but the problem came when my local vendor said that the memory prices are going at increasing rate and here in India even 1 GB of DDR3 ram would cost almost the same price of 2 GBs of DDR2 ram,else i was also considering my pc built on DDR3.

Definitely no SATA3 devices now and an will do no upgrades in future.
i have no USB 3.0 devices also which i am using as excuse for this mobo.
So i cannot consider for a DDR3 motherboard because of cost considerations.

I was having another idea about the cabinet case.Presently i am using an open cabinet with one side removed.(this heats up my whole room,but i have the room nicely ventilated but a closed room gives a hot atmosphere)
I was considering of doing the same with the new pc also and using a large table fan to direct it straight to my interior of case to cool my cpu and gpu.Is there any problem doing this or should i do cpu cooler upgrade too because i will sure overclock later.

Thanks for the help.

pplthnkimweird

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009

Hi Rajiv, I live in India too, where are you from ?

As for you query, I can say with assurance that even though RAM costs are increasing, in the future, there is a chance (90%) that DDR2 will be expensive than DDR3 not the vice versa, I just built an i5 based system and difference in price between 2GB DDR3 and DDR2 was about Rs 100 !!! I think the vendor doesn't stock DDR3 or he's got a bigger margin so he's just trying to lure you into buying DDR2 !!

Since, you are into OC'ing, I would recommend at least a basic third-party CPU cooler from say, CoolerMaster.
Also, I wouldn't recommend doing SLi's or CrossFireX as IMO, 1 good card is better than 2 "Eh..." cards !! :kaola:

You didn't say it, but I'm guessing you want your PC to be future-proof ?
In that case, yours is going to be outdated in like 6-10 months, since DDR3 is almost equal to DDR2 in prices.
More and more boards are going to be SATA 6 Gbps/USB 3 compatible.

So, if you build a DDR2 build, it's possible that it would be very hard to find DDR2 RAM to upgrade in the future, also like SATA 3 Gbps replaced classic-SATA, USB 2 replaced USB 1.1, new tech's will replace the older ones, so unless you wanna buy a new PC in like 2 years, I wouldn't recommend going for the DDR2 build.

Well, I recommend going a cheaper board say from Biostar or AsRock (considering you're on tight budget) w/o SATA 6 Gbps and USB 3 but with more expansion slots as you can just SATA and USB add-on card in the future when SATA 6 Gbps and USB3 become easily available and reliable. (atleast 1 PCIe x4 slot for SATA 6 Gbps and 1 PCIe x1 for USB 3.0).

For your OC'ing it'd be great if you go for RAM from Corsair/Kingston HyperX series/OCZ, but since you want cheaper, I would recommend going for the Kingston DDR3 ValueRAM series since they can handle minimal to good OC'ing.
eg- I have a Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 2*2 GB RAM which runs @ 667MHz @ standard timimgs, when I OC'ed my PC it's running smoothly @ 780MHz !!!
Considering, I bought the RAM @ Rs 2800 for 2GB module, I'm more than satisfied.

You can check out the prices of Hardware @this site. The difference in the prices locally when compared to that site is about ~Rs 200-300.

PS- DO NOT buy RAM from Transcend as they are not for OC'ing, I have experienced.

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
First of all i am living in Kerala and Where are you from?

yes,i wanted my new pc to be future proof and that brought me to this configuration.

Thank you for you advice and and as i approached and insisted another local vendor for a DDR3 motherboard and DDR3 ram,my local vendor provided me with a better configuration.

Now The present Config:
955BE - 7800 INR
500 Gb SATA - 2300
DDR 3 2x2GB 1333Mhz - 5900
785G Motherboard
of Asus/gigabyte - 5950
He still doesn't go to the hardware specifications or name of the board specifically and so i am not able to write about it.

I am sticking to asus or gigabyte because of their popularity and build,and do want to compromise for Biostar and AsRock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eg- I have a Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 2*2 GB RAM which runs @ 667MHz @ standard timimgs, when I OC'ed
my PC it's running smoothly @ 780MHz !!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i wanted to know why would you run @667MHz if the modules are 1333Mhz(or i don't get the point)

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I have an old 500VA UPS,would it be enough for my new pc?

Also i have considered these LCD monitors,Kindly suggest which is the best one.

LG W1953 Newegg Item#:N82E16824005122
2ms,18.5'.
1366 x 768
Contrast Ratio:50000:1

LG W1943S 5ms,18.5
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Contrast Ratio: 30000:1 DFC(Original 1000:1)

Samsung B1930
Screen Size 18.5" Wide
Contrast Ratio (Typical) DC 50,000: 1 (Typ.1,000: 1)
Resolution 1360 x 768
Response Time (Typical) 5ms

Samsung 933SN
47.0cm (18.5) Wide
Resolution 1360 x 768
Contrast Ratio DC 15,000:1 (1,000:1) (Typ.)
Response time 5ms

I preferred Samsung but i see LG W1953 is better in 18.5" also with 2ms.
Any better LCD than LG W1953 from samsung available?

pplthnkimweird

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hi, I'm from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
The new configuration is very nice but it'd be much better if you can ask him the board model/name so that I can comment on it.

Also, To give a final word, I'd like to know the main purpose of your PC i.e gaming, media editing, general purpose.
I think it's for casual gaming, right ?
Also, are you interested in overclocking your PC ?

The 1333MHz is the total data rate of RAM module whereas 667MHz is the i/o bus clock (obviously, half of the data rate).
for more info, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM#JEDEC_standard_modules

Regarding your UPS query, it'll be enough, I'm using a 500VA also...just make sure you get a good Power Supply (min of 500W) for your computer probably a Coolermaster considering it's affordable these days.

Considering the monitor query, those resolutions are a little bit weird to use, imo, so maybe a few games or applications may not work.
Why don't you go for a 19"/20", say from Dell or Samsung, I haven't used LG or know anyone so I can't comment. Here, Samsung just rules !
I have a Dell 19" in school, is very good. The price difference is very less. Do make sure that the monitor supports standard resolutions such as 1440*900 or 1600*900.
Also, BenQ is a good brand if you want to consider it.
My comment: Do not go for 1366*768.

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Since you are using DDR2 anyways, getting the 940BE would be smarter, at around $120(U.S. prices) it is everything the 955BE is without DDR3 support.

The table fan blowing into the case destroys the airflow and quietness, but it is a plausible way to cool the computer (lower ambient) when temps are higher than expected and you have nothing else to do, if you are willing to stand the noise of course.

However, the CPU would still be on the warm side as the air isn't blown directly into it, but rather into the whole case, so OC improvements are not as noticeable if you just get a case with enough fans (Intake/Exhaust) and a better CPU cooler. Besides, the computer wont produce that much heat even if you are doing all stock fans and can OC to at least 3.6Ghz as previously stated.

Then, For the mobo just the the 780G instead, it saves you a bit than the 785G as it is an older model, but the difference is only minor on the IGP, you can find plenty that uses DDR2. For example this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135233

Finally, i would suggest you just keep the case as is, and check the temps when you finish the build, if it runs hotter than expected add the CPU fan later with the Graphics card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you soooooo much,you have provided me with a cheaper solution.I can get more with my same budget.

I read out in many places that phenom II does not require DDR3 but only recommends DDR3(while the i7 series needs it as a requirement) and the performance difference in DDR 2 or DDR 3 is only 2~3%.
And i considered Asus M4A78-EM-1394 which has 780G chipset and DDR2 support which loosens on my budget.I won't upgrade ram later so i consider 4GB.Is that enough for gaming purposes?

But i have a little doubt on the processor Phenom 940 BE or Phenom 955 BE.
The are probably the same but the 940BE is having 3.6 GT/s while 955BE has 4 GT/s.
So i don't know which to buy(even though i have asked about availability of 940 BE my vendor has not confirmed it yet) yet i will consider 940 BE(being cheaper) and the board is AM2/AM2+/AM3 compatible and DDR2 supported.

And what overclocking can i achieve on stock cooler for a 940BE?
Do you think lower GT/s is some sort of bottleneck?

Can you suggest a good power supply?450 W or 500W if i consider max of gpu line <HD58xx

is it better for a cheaper 500w of any manufacturer or a 450W of good manufacturer.
Kindly suggest a good and cheap solution

Again thanks for your great effort