Realtek driver headphones not working

G

Howdy,
I've been at this for hours and am not slow when it comes to computers. my headphones are fine, my computer detects them, everything i can click on and reconfigure has been done. But still no sound out of headphones and my computer still plays out of speakers. I am deeply depressed that I need to ask for help, but do you know what I'm doing wrong.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
For starters, check the sound settings in Control Panel. Is the headphone volume bar available and at adequate volume level?

Also check the Realtek settings, again in the control panel. The line configuration, is it properly connected?

Cross check the headphones using mp3 player or some sort.

If it works, disconnect your speakers then plug in your headphone in the same place (input port). See if it works.

Narrow down your source of problem by checking 1 component paired with several others. Start from the easiest part.

It's not about being slow or anything, a simple "I think I forgot that one" can lead you to unnecessary confusion. Overconfidence can also be misleading. Take your time and carefully check the possibilities one by one.

ram1009

Distinguished
I have used headphones exclusively on all my computers for years and I don't know what you mean when you say your computer detects them. To the computer they are no different than speakers so if speakers work the headset should work when plugged into the same OUTPUT port. It's the pale green connector on all my computers. Some speakers have a headphone jack on them. If yours do try plugging into it. From what you've said so far I suspect the headphones or associated wiring/connector.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

I was referring to a female 3,5mm jack which is like an "IN put" port.

What the OP mean by "detects them" is that the realtek software will notify the user that there's a connected audio device either output or input. The software will then confirm whether or not it's connected properly.

I also suspected the same thing, since the odds are the OP is plugging his headphone through the front audio port (with an incorrect wiring setup), while the speakers permanently connected at the back panel. But the troubleshooting rule to check the easiest part first still the best solution IMO.

The most common example is when someone found that his PC can't be turned on. First thing in his mind is the PC itself is broken. Logically, a PC needs electrical power. That should be the first hint to start the troubleshoot. Many people I know waste their time and energy over a simple broken cheap power cable while busy checking the PC hardware. Sounds pretty stupid but it actually happens.

ram1009

Distinguished

Sorry I put you into a defensive posture but the jack you plug your speakere/headphones into is an output jack, and yes it is 3.5mm in dia if that's relevant. Actually, I'd prefer to hear from the OP rather than turn this into a urinating contest.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

That would be a key part for the OP's troubleshooting. Start from the easiest part, which doesn't require any hardware hassle. Eliminate the possibility of software faulties, then hardware.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

I'm not offended or anything, just trying to make my points clear. Technically, I am 100% wrong. I know. You are absolutely correct, it is an output jack. Although I'm not too familiar with the term "urinating contest" (???)

The OP probably still trying to figure out the solution by himself. Let's just wait and see for his reply.

G

By my computer detecting them I meant I clicked into Realtek HD Audio Manager, and saw that they were being read as connected to the front panel. I checked both the front and back to see if the connection inside the computer would be different. No dice. Checked with my mp3 player and the headphones are perfectly fine as they looked. I can almost bet you that its nothing to do with wiring.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
By my computer detecting them I meant I clicked into Realtek HD Audio Manager, and saw that they were being read as connected to the front panel. I checked both the front and back to see if the connection inside the computer would be different. No dice. Checked with my mp3 player and the headphones are perfectly fine as they looked. I can almost bet you that its nothing to do with wiring.

Tried davcon's suggestion yet? Might have something to do with the driver.

G

The volume is "at adequate volume level".

Cross checked the headphones, they're perfectly fine.

My so called speakers are in my monitor, but i did put my speakers in the back of my computer in the audio input, no dice.

In other sites I checked other answers and they keep telling me theirs supposed to be a button where there is none with Realtek HD Audio Manager.

I know I'm not slow, but it's frustrating knowing its something small I just can't find.

G

haha don't worry i plugged the headphones, actually two different sets of headphones in both ports just to make sure i wasn't messing that one up.

G

Oh and sorry went to bed yesterday after posting, came back tonight, going to bed now and will come back tomorrow to check what you all have to say. Not trying to be inconvenient and appreciate the help, but I do work in the morning. I don't need my headphones to work through my computer, just want to know i can if i wanted to.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
The volume is "at adequate volume level".

Cross checked the headphones, they're perfectly fine.

My so called speakers are in my monitor, but i did put my speakers in the back of my computer in the audio input, no dice.

In other sites I checked other answers and they keep telling me theirs supposed to be a button where there is none with Realtek HD Audio Manager.

I know I'm not slow, but it's frustrating knowing its something small I just can't find.
I've been in your shoes, so I can understand how you feel.

As a comparison, I have had a "strange" problem with my cheap 2.1 speakers. After I use the aux output jack on the speaker, 1 of the satellites stops working.

(skips the part where all the time and energy wasted due to my stupidity)

The cause is annoyingly funny, the aux port somehow still detecting a connection even when the jack is disconnected. So I have to "fine tune" the aux port by poking it with the 3,5 mm jack carefully and check if the satellite is working again. That is stupid and strange at the same time.

In troubleshooting terms, my case was a intermittent(randomly happes) problem, unlike yours that's remains the same. Intermittent problems are usually harder to solve, sometimes unsolvable. This means your problem is a solvable one. Just keep your head cool and hopes high.

Back to the topic, the button they're talking about is probably the mute icon on the output volume bar. Also check the settings (wrench icon) on the realtek audio I/O bar.

Last suggestion, try to use a sound card (maybe borrow) and check the output. Assuming all your efforts came to nothing and you're really desperate, this is the last resort that I can suggest. Good luck!

Steve8217

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I use the realtek hd drivers on my pc and my headphones dont work either the weird thing is though connected my pc to my HD tv with a normal 3.5mm jack to rca worked fine.

No headphone output on my pc but through the tv its perfect is it possible that they have to be connected to a HD output device.

Darth Continent

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I'm having this same issue with RealTek sound on a Lenovo 3000 N100 notebook.

Hardware, including headphones, is fine, I know this because before I updated to the latest available drivers from Lenovo's site, the headphones worked fine. I could plug the headphones in to the front jack, and like most every other computer I've ever worked with anytime in the last 15 years, the act of plugging the headphones in muted the onboard speakers.

For some reason, with this newest version, RealTek is being annoyingly different and doesn't seem to want to do this seemingly standard task in response to a headphone jack being plugged in.

I'll roll back to the previous version of the drivers and hopefully this issue will go away.