RPL FMV files for Tomb Raider 1

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

This forum may not be the best place to ask but just in case there are a few
techie's on board here goes...

I'm working on replacing the FMV files in TR1 using modern video compression
codecs. I know that Eidos developed a codec called Escaped which was used to
create the video (RPL) files for Tomb Raider 1 & 2.

I've searced the Net for the Escape codec but can't find it anywhere. I
guess it's so old these days it's practically unavailable.

I want to convert MPEG movies into RPL files and need a suitable codec and
encoder to do the job.

Can anyone assist and point me in the right direction to a possible download
site?

I have the stand alone Escape player but on it's own that's not enough as
there is no encoding facility.

Thanks

Baz

---

Bazza wrote:

> This forum may not be the best place to ask but just in case there are a few
> techie's on board here goes...
>
> I'm working on replacing the FMV files in TR1 using modern video compression
> codecs. I know that Eidos developed a codec called Escaped which was used to
> create the video (RPL) files for Tomb Raider 1 & 2.
>
> I've searced the Net for the Escape codec but can't find it anywhere. I
> guess it's so old these days it's practically unavailable.
>
> I want to convert MPEG movies into RPL files and need a suitable codec and
> encoder to do the job.
>
> Can anyone assist and point me in the right direction to a possible download
> site?
>
> I have the stand alone Escape player but on it's own that's not enough as
> there is no encoding facility.
>
> Thanks
>
> Baz

Sorry, I can't help you, (maybe someone else?). However, if you do
manage to convert TR's videos to MPEG, please stop by here again
and let us know. :)

-- G

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Bazza wrote:
> >
> > This forum may not be the best place to ask but just in case there are a
few
> > techie's on board here goes...
> >
> > I'm working on replacing the FMV files in TR1 using modern video
compression
> > codecs. I know that Eidos developed a codec called Escaped which was
used to
> > create the video (RPL) files for Tomb Raider 1 & 2.
> >
> > I've searced the Net for the Escape codec but can't find it anywhere. I
> > guess it's so old these days it's practically unavailable.
> >
> > I want to convert MPEG movies into RPL files and need a suitable codec
and
> > encoder to do the job.
> >
> > Can anyone assist and point me in the right direction to a possible
download
> > site?
> >
> > I have the stand alone Escape player but on it's own that's not enough
as
> > there is no encoding facility.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Baz
>
> Sorry, I can't help you, (maybe someone else?). However, if you do
> manage to convert TR's videos to MPEG, please stop by here again
> and let us know. :)
>
> -- G

Oh I convert them to MPEG all right. I made a DVD containing all of the
video from the 6 games. It looks great on a large screen TV! The problem I
have now is converting video from MPEG to RPL so that I can change the
videos in the game to better ones (for TR1 & 2).

Baz

Dave

---

Bazza wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Bazza wrote:
> > >
> > > This forum may not be the best place to ask but just in case there are a
> few
> > > techie's on board here goes...
> > >
> > > I'm working on replacing the FMV files in TR1 using modern video
> compression
> > > codecs. I know that Eidos developed a codec called Escaped which was
> used to
> > > create the video (RPL) files for Tomb Raider 1 & 2.
> > >
> > > I've searced the Net for the Escape codec but can't find it anywhere. I
> > > guess it's so old these days it's practically unavailable.
> > >
> > > I want to convert MPEG movies into RPL files and need a suitable codec
> and
> > > encoder to do the job.
> > >
> > > Can anyone assist and point me in the right direction to a possible
> download
> > > site?
> > >
> > > I have the stand alone Escape player but on it's own that's not enough
> as
> > > there is no encoding facility.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Baz
> >
> > Sorry, I can't help you, (maybe someone else?). However, if you do
> > manage to convert TR's videos to MPEG, please stop by here again
> > and let us know. :)
> >
> > -- G
>
> Oh I convert them to MPEG all right. I made a DVD containing all of the
> video from the 6 games. It looks great on a large screen TV!

Any chance of them being available for download somewhere? :)

> The problem I
> have now is converting video from MPEG to RPL so that I can change the
> videos in the game to better ones (for TR1 & 2).

That would be interesting, to be able to swap the FMV's for
new custom made ones.

-- G

> Baz
>
> Dave
>
> ---

Gary Mitchell posted:

> Bazza wrote:

>> > Sorry, I can't help you, (maybe someone else?). However, if you do
>> > manage to convert TR's videos to MPEG, please stop by here again
>> > and let us know. :)
>> >
>> > -- G
>>
>> Oh I convert them to MPEG all right. I made a DVD containing all of
>> the video from the 6 games. It looks great on a large screen TV!
>
> Any chance of them being available for download somewhere? :)
>
>> The problem I
>> have now is converting video from MPEG to RPL so that I can change
>> the videos in the game to better ones (for TR1 & 2).
>
> That would be interesting, to be able to swap the FMV's for
> new custom made ones.
>
> -- G
>
>> Baz
>>
>> Dave

Wow! Cool! Methinks you may do something like this for a living? I too,
would love to see those!

I don't see any reply to Gary's query. So *is* there any chance of sharing
that gem with others?

--
Ms T
ever changing calm