S-Video won't work? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the identical port
on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any picture -- just a black
screen. Makes no difference whether I use Video 1 or Video 2.

Any guidance welcome.

Ray Jenkins wrote:
> I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the
> identical port on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any
> picture -- just a black screen. Makes no difference whether I use
> Video 1 or Video 2.
> Any guidance welcome

The new TV has several Video In ports (is that the correct word?),
usually toggled from a key on the remote. From my *limited* experience,
when you get the correct port, you should see at least the desktop or a
blue screen.

"Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the identical port
>on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any picture -- just a black
>screen. Makes no difference whether I use Video 1 or Video 2.

You may need to power the computer up _after_ connecting the S-Video
output.

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>> I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the
>> identical port on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any
>> picture -- just a black screen. Makes no difference whether I use
>> Video 1 or Video 2.
>
> You may need to power the computer up _after_ connecting the S-Video
> output.

Come to think of it, the TV out might have to be toggled from the
display adapter itself.

How do I do that, Quaoar?

> William P.N. Smith wrote:
>> "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>>> I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the
>>> identical port on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any
>>> picture -- just a black screen. Makes no difference whether I use
>>> Video 1 or Video 2.
>>
>> You may need to power the computer up _after_ connecting the S-Video
>> output.
>
> Come to think of it, the TV out might have to be toggled from the display
> adapter itself.

Since posting I tried to turn my laptop onto "TV mode" -- it seems to
attempt to connect, but then tells me "There is a problem enabling TV mode.
Please check your cables and try again."

The cable is definitely connected to what appear to be the right ports.

> William P.N. Smith wrote:
>> "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>>> I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the
>>> identical port on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any
>>> picture -- just a black screen. Makes no difference whether I use
>>> Video 1 or Video 2.
>>
>> You may need to power the computer up _after_ connecting the S-Video
>> output.
>
> Come to think of it, the TV out might have to be toggled from the display
> adapter itself.

"Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>Since posting I tried to turn my laptop onto "TV mode" -- it seems to
>attempt to connect, but then tells me "There is a problem enabling TV mode.
>Please check your cables and try again."
>
>The cable is definitely connected to what appear to be the right ports.

But was it connected (to a working port, as Barry detailed) when you
powered the laptop up? Sometimes the BIOS looks to see if there's a
connection to an external device, and if there isn't, it won't work at
all, no matter what settings you make thereafter.

This may be one of those rare circumstances where you need to RTFM.
The setup of these things can be very tricky, and every one can be
different from the one before. [Latest BIOS, latest drivers, TFM,
yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.]

I've pulled my hair out on a number of notebooks trying to get TV out.
I've always succeeded, but it usually takes a LOT of "poking around"
deep in the bowels of various menus and settings. It's nowhere as easy
as it should be. Sometimes you get the desktop just fine, but there is
a black window where multimedia is playing, because of the way that the
"overlay" function works within the video chipsets. Again, with enough
effort (hours in quite a few cases), I've always gotten it to work, but
all I can suggest is that you keep playing/digging. It's MUCH more
complex than just selecting monitor "1" or "2". Dig DEEP into the
bowels of the display properties sub-menu. You may also need to change
bios setup parameters.

Ray Jenkins wrote:

> I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the identical port
> on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any picture -- just a black
> screen. Makes no difference whether I use Video 1 or Video 2.
>
> Any guidance welcome.

There are far, far too many variables to ever be successful by dealing
with them all at once. Since the display has it's own variables, don't
even start with the laptop until you KNOW that you are dealing with a
monitor that IS displaying a video signal from the physical port that
you are using. That means starting with another video source (VCR,
camcorder, video game, whatever) to make SURE that the physical port on
the display is "live" before you even connect the computer.

All of the parameters on the computer are bad enough, without spending
hours only to find that even if the computer had been putting out a
video signal, the monitor wouldn't have displayed it.

Quaoar wrote:

> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>
>>I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the
>>identical port on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any
>>picture -- just a black screen. Makes no difference whether I use
>>Video 1 or Video 2.
>>Any guidance welcome
>

> The new TV has several Video In ports (is that the correct word?),
> usually toggled from a key on the remote. From my *limited* experience,
> when you get the correct port, you should see at least the desktop or a
> blue screen.

Barry -- the port on the back of my TV is clearly labeled "Video 1 IN"

And the plug fits.

My digital camera will show on the TV screen, but that is an altogether
different kind of cable -- the single large-pin type.

I don't think I have any devices other than the laptop that has the S-video
type ports.

It does seem to attempt to connect but tells me there is a problem with the
cables.

-- Ray
> There are far, far too many variables to ever be successful by dealing
> with them all at once. Since the display has it's own variables, don't
> even start with the laptop until you KNOW that you are dealing with a
> monitor that IS displaying a video signal from the physical port that you
> are using. That means starting with another video source (VCR, camcorder,
> video game, whatever) to make SURE that the physical port on the display
> is "live" before you even connect the computer.
>
> All of the parameters on the computer are bad enough, without spending
> hours only to find that even if the computer had been putting out a video
> signal, the monitor wouldn't have displayed it.
>

> Quaoar wrote:
>
>> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>>
>>>I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the
>>>identical port on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any
>>>picture -- just a black screen. Makes no difference whether I use
>>>Video 1 or Video 2.
>>>Any guidance welcome
>>

>> The new TV has several Video In ports (is that the correct word?),
>> usually toggled from a key on the remote. From my *limited* experience,
>> when you get the correct port, you should see at least the desktop or a
>> blue screen.

I think I'll give up and just get a DVD player.

-- Ray

> I've pulled my hair out on a number of notebooks trying to get TV out.
> I've always succeeded, but it usually takes a LOT of "poking around" deep
> in the bowels of various menus and settings. It's nowhere as easy as it
> should be. Sometimes you get the desktop just fine, but there is a black
> window where multimedia is playing, because of the way that the "overlay"
> function works within the video chipsets. Again, with enough effort
> (hours in quite a few cases), I've always gotten it to work, but all I can
> suggest is that you keep playing/digging. It's MUCH more complex than
> just selecting monitor "1" or "2". Dig DEEP into the bowels of the
> display properties sub-menu. You may also need to change bios setup
> parameters.
>

> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>
>> I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the identical
>> port on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any picture -- just a
>> black screen. Makes no difference whether I use Video 1 or Video 2.
>>
>> Any guidance welcome.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Ray Jenkins wrote:
> I think I'll give up and just get a DVD player.
>
> -- Ray
>
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I've pulled my hair out on a number of notebooks trying to get TV
>> out. I've always succeeded, but it usually takes a LOT of "poking
>> around" deep in the bowels of various menus and settings. It's
>> nowhere as easy as it should be. Sometimes you get the desktop just
>> fine, but there is a black window where multimedia is playing,
>> because of the way that the "overlay" function works within the
>> video chipsets. Again, with enough effort (hours in quite a few
>> cases), I've always gotten it to work, but all I can suggest is that
>> you keep playing/digging. It's MUCH more complex than just
>> selecting monitor "1" or "2". Dig DEEP into the bowels of the
>> display properties sub-menu. You may also need to change bios setup
>> parameters. Ray Jenkins wrote:
>>
>>> I have connected the S-Video on my HP Pavilion laptop to the
>>> identical port on the back of my new Sony TV. But I don't get any
>>> picture -- just a black screen. Makes no difference whether I use
>>> Video 1 or Video 2. Any guidance welcome.

It should work but you are probably dealing with Macrovision...basically you
cannot run video on your laptop screen and the tv at the same time. You
should be able to get the TV to work by making sure the correct display is
chosen in your video card options or using the FN key + F7-F8, you will need
to check your documentation to make sure.