I7 Rig Slower Than Phenom 2 rig??

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ok so I used to have a phenom 2 x4 965 be system build about 2 weeks ago. After falling for all the hype I have been hearing about the core i7 processor I decided to sell my AMD system and build me an i7 rig. I was sooo damn excited even though my phenom rig seemed like a damn monster I figured this would be faster. Well to my dismay I have to say I am quite unhappy with this sytem. By no means am I saying this build is slow it is really fast! The thing is though my phenom seemed faster. it seemed my AMD sytem was alot more responsive and snappier in alot of applications within windows 7. My games seemed to run smoother; my boot up time was faster; my work within photo shop is pretty much the same speed but no faster. I actually got more FPS in games with my AMD sytem. The difference with this one though is it cost me around $1200 to build and my AMD was only like $800. I will say I do alot of benchmarks with this chip and it does seem to get better scores than my phenom did but other than that I feel, well, cheated? IDK I was jus twondering if neone else has experienced something like this or am I alone here?? I did always keep my phenom around 4ghz cause it OCed really well but so does my i7 I have it sitting pretty at 3.9ghz. It just doesnt seem any faster in fact a bit slower in everything except benchmarks. Im running the exact same specs on both systems except for the processors and ram. I got triple channel ddr3 6 gb for my i7. In my AMD i had 8gb ddr3 dual channel. I doubt the extra 2 gigs of ram made any difference. I run a 4890 graphics card. Please can anyone relate to my situation I know everything is functioning properly.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Yes sir everything in the sytem is running just fine there is nothing wrong that I can tell that would be hindering performance. All I am saying is for some reason my AMD system seemed quite a bit "snappier" than my current rig. Better benchies for sure but in all the usual real world apps that i use it seems either the same or even a bit slower. Not sure why I mean this system is by no means slow whatsoever it just seems a tiny bit less responsive in alot of apps I usually use. I guess that is the only way I can explain my situation is that the phenom just seemed a bit faster.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

The processor itself costs $150 more. The RAM costs about an additional $50-75. The motherboard could easily cost around $100 more. That's $300 right there, without factoring in any other components, possible sales, or better quality parts in the i7 build.

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Correct me if Im wrong. But I was under the impression that most applications dont even fully utilize the i7 6core.

The only thing I've heard it really effects is multi-tasking and video rendering (and even adobe photoshop doesnt utilize the entire core set)

and it may possibly effect CPU intensive Games like GTA (which can often bottleneck performance with GPUs)