Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Specs
Intel i7 930 @ 2.8
Asus P6X58D Premium
6 gigs Corsair pc 12800 @ 1666 MHz
eVga GeForce GTX 480
BFG 1000 watt PSU

I installed everything, booted up no problems, loaded Windows 7 fine, updated drivers on the Asus website, nVidia website. I was watching tv with the computer just sitting at the desktop and I came back to the computer and it was completely locked up. I rebooted the PC and it turned on, lights, sounded as if it was booting up and No Video - monitors both said no signal. I rebooted again and the Video came up, went to the desktop and froze again. Now it won't show any Video at all. It will start up and act like its running fine but No Display on the monitors.

I swapped my old video card in that i knew worked fine, and the Same thing happened, booted up but no display. I swapped the card to another PCI-E slot and same thing No display.

The New Video card was very hot to the touch so I'm wondering if it overheated and did something to the Motherboard?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We have a sticky that was created to troubleshoot this type of problem. Here's a link to it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

I would first check your temps. What does the CPU temp show as in the BIOS? Have you installed any software so you can monitor temps under load?

If the temps look good I would focus on the RAM next. Are you sure you're using the correct RAM slots? Which exact 6GB Corsair RAM kit do you have? Have you manually set your RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated values in the BIOS?

jchurch83

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=C13-2048

This is the ram I installed. I did not change any timing settings.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=A455-2869

This is the Motherboard I'm using.

The thing that gets me is that it was running perfectly fine. I ran the Asus AI monitor and I was showing Temps on my CPU ~ 34c, I didn't however monitor the video card as I only had the computer on for about 4 hours and wasn't doing anything Video card intensive.

I think im going to put the new Video card in my old motherboard and boot it up to see if i get video out of it. I would think that if I get video out of the new card in my old system than the Card isn't dead, and it would point more to RAM or MoBo?? Although that's my non-expert thought.

Your RAM is rated at 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65v. I would manually set those values as well as the speed to 1600MHz in the BIOS. It would also be a good idea to perform an overnight Memtest86+ test after the values are set correctly to check for RAM errors. You should also try each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot.

You'll have to double check in the motherboard owners manual, but I believe you're supposed to use the blue RAM slots on your motherboard. Which RAM slots are you using?

jchurch83

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I was using the Blue slots as the manual advised. I can't get any video to show so I can't do a memtest as this motherboard is the only one I have that this RAM will fit in. So it's kind of guess and hope im right : /