CPU LED Stuck on red, no post

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Opening:

I built a new computer maybe 3 months ago and it was running fine until yesterday ( will post full specs below). Now when I boot up I get no post and no video, and opening up my case the CPU LED on the motherboard gets stuck on red and won't move further in the boot process.

*** Yes I have looked and have run through the no post/video thread and the v2 thoroughly and nothing in there will fix. This is not a brand new rig, and has been working fine for 3 months so I know everything was running just fine before.

History:

The computer worked fine 5 hours prior to the problem. I was simply playing SC2 and I exited out of the game and went out for a bit. When I came back home my monitor was stuck in powersave mode, so I simply reset the computer and this problem has been happening ever since. I did not install any additional hardware, software, or drivers that night.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ 8MB Cache

MOBO: ASUS P7P55D LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI 7SATA CrossFire GBLAN 8CHANNEL Audio

RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V (Farely certain, I'd have to check the exact model number when I get home)

CPU aftermarket heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA775 LGA1156 120MM

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS

HDD: Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS

CASE: Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio

---------------------------------------

- Right off the bat I'm thinking this is either a problem with the CPU or mobo. I should mention that 1 month ago I had a problem where I was getting no video. I swapped my video card over to another PCI-E slot and it worked, so then I updated drivers and moved it back to the original spot and it worked fine.

- I don't think this is an overheating problem. When I was running my comp I always monitored the temps and they never went higher than 55 degrees C. I know my aftermarket heatsink isn't the best, but the temps always stayed low and I never overclocked.

- Without me pulling apart the computer and isolating components 1 x 1, I was wondering if anyone knew what this could be. The heatsink fan powers up, and everything else in the case appears to, but in the motherboard boot-up like I mentioned above, it seems to get stuck on the CPU check. Since the Red LED stays on.

- If there is any more information you require, please let me know. Thanks in advance for the help.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Got housemates? ... Not to sow suspicions, but, just to rule out pets/maids, etc.

PSUs can go south, early in life ... nature of the beast.

Try a completely different GPU (a cheap or old one is fine).

Next would be to pull the GPU and insert just 1 stick of RAM, then the other.
(this is to invoke error beep codes or LED error codes ... we want to see/hear "NO VIDEO").

... Sorry ... that is all the really easy stuff. Could just be a "marginal-fit" (GPU).

LOOK UP the LED code, in the mobo manual, to confirm it's exact meaning.

I would go thru that "Boot Probs/No Video" checklist, VER-BATIM ! , as if you were just in the process of your original build.

... That checklist is not only just a "bunch of good ideas to try" ... it *IS* a methodical roadmap that will allow you to "gain ground", until you identify/isolate the fault.

Barring pets or humans knocking it over, then you must have an early/marginal failure or even a misalignment between the case and mobo (citing your earlier video issues, here). ... don't dismiss the PSU, either.

if you keep just "trying this or that" and not following THIS (chklst) precise methodology, then "we" may be at this for WEEKS (or longer) ... Your choice.

Try all that "easier stuff" ... if that fails ... resolve yourself to "DO IT ALL" and just don't resist the "avoidance" any further ... reluctance to commit will hurt you.

FINALLY ... if Win7 ... turn all those AERO/animation features OFF until MS issues a fix for that Video Security Hole" ... just go with plain-jane windows classic mode.

= Al =