Sign in with
Your question

Question about UPS's

Last response: in Components
July 22, 2010 8:29:54 AM

Hi all,

I have been looking at UPS's for my setup at home as where i live is susceptible to the power circuit tripping out on occasion. I understand that i need around 1500 VA but looking at the back of the UPS for all the connectors, they all appear to be the 3 pin thick kettle lead connections that you get in the back of PSU's and not fully fledged 3 pin UK standard plugs. Am i missing a trick here or are there some adaptors that also need to be purchased?

Also, is a UPS able to support standard 240W by 13 Amp output in UK homes? I'm assuming so but i want to make sure.

Also, if anyone could link me to a recommended UPS at 1500 VA, preferebly from a UK stockist, i'd be really grateful.

Thanks.

More about : question ups

July 22, 2010 2:56:52 PM

But they don't appear to have full UK power plug sockets, only the 3 pin kettle lead sockets.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2010 3:10:32 PM

Do you mean the APC models? Some do and some don't have the UK plug.

This one (http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-de...) for example has the UK plug. Others don't.

I am sure you can find a solid UPS (certainly doesn't have to be APC brand) here. Happy shopping!!!

BTW, how did you come up with the 1500VA requirement? How many PCs/devices do you plan to connect to this UPS?
m
l
July 22, 2010 3:16:45 PM

You may also need to get some adapter plugs (seem to be bundled with some of the UPSs) to connect your UK to non-UK plug connections. If misco sells it in UK, I would assume the UPS is rated to work with your electrical grid. You just need the right number of plugs/adapters.
m
l
July 22, 2010 5:11:50 PM

I plan to connect an 850W PSU powered PC, monitor, ADSL modem-router at minimum. Since 1500 VA approximates to 980 Watts of power, id say its roughly within bounds.
m
l
July 22, 2010 6:17:01 PM

Understood. Keep in mind the physical dimensions of the UPS. A 1500VA version will be larger than you might think. If you only connect the monitor and PC to the "active" side of the UPS and the other devices on the "passive" side, you can actually go with a smaller (less expensive) UPS. Your call. You can't go wrong either way.
m
l
!