$700-900 Gaming Rig for specific game

difinitus

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: No more than $1000, if I'm spending that much I'd rather buy a gaming laptop. After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming. Specifically for All Points Bulletin, but I'd like it to handle new games for the next couple years. I usually keep the game in window mode and multi-task like surfing the web while playing. Here are the recommended specs for the game:
* Core2 Quad 2.4Ghz or equivalent
* 4GB Main Memory
* Geforce 8800 512MB or equivalent
* 20GB free disk space
* XP 32 & Vista 64 (Vista 32 not yet advisable)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I have a keyboard and mouse and monitor but suggestions for gaming that I could buy in the future?

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg. I'm in Texas.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Doesn't matter. The last two AMD GPU's I purchased keep overheating and freezing my computer but I think its because they didn't have very good fans.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes possibly? Crossfire/SLI: Most likely no. I'm not a hardcore gamer.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I don't know.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The less heat the better I suppose.

Solution
What we're really getting at with the resolution is the monitor's native resolution. It's what makes the games look the best. Resolution is the determining factor in the size of GPU you need. A 23" LCD could be as high as 1920x1080, but given the games you listed, the 5770 would be fine.

The builds above are what I would recommend. I know the X4/Hyper combo is sold out, but the HSF will come back in stock. The combo was only $5 anyway, and those are still excellent parts.
Monitor resolution is a very important question. Without knowing that, we could be suggesting a GPU that's extreme overkill or way too weak to do anything. It would help to know the size and type to at least guess.

Here's what I would recommend, at a couple of different prices:

CPU/HSF: X4 955 and Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $182
Mobo/GPU: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 and HD 5770 $220 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Neo Eco 400W $95
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20

Total: $784. This would be perfect for any resolution under 1920x1080. It would handle any game at resolutions below that, but may struggle with newer titles at 1920x1080.

CPU/GPU: X4 955 and HD 5850 $470
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $80 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $120
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $27

Total: $982. This would be great for a 1920x1080 resolution. It would be able to play every game at max details, with the main exception of Crysis.

difinitus

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I guess I don't know whats a good resolution to play at I suppose. Currently my monitor is a 23" widescreen LCD. I'm betting my resolution is at 1600x.. I'm so use to using low settings for games because of the crappy computer now, that the resolution isn't that important to me.

Most of the video games I play are MMOs (Aion or Guild Wars) which aren't too intensive on computers usually. Sometimes there is a single player game out there that I'll occasionally buy like the new Splinter Cell: Conviction or Assassin's Creed when it comes out. What would you recommend?

BTW, the X4 955 and Coolermaster combo is sold out.

What we're really getting at with the resolution is the monitor's native resolution. It's what makes the games look the best. Resolution is the determining factor in the size of GPU you need. A 23" LCD could be as high as 1920x1080, but given the games you listed, the 5770 would be fine.

The builds above are what I would recommend. I know the X4/Hyper combo is sold out, but the HSF will come back in stock. The combo was only $5 anyway, and those are still excellent parts.

Solution