Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I Use the Cables From One PSU on Another?

Last response: in Components
July 22, 2010 9:55:30 AM

Hi All,
Have two 850W PSUs, both are modular. One is an Ultra with great cables, flat and supple, easy to work with. The other is a Thermaltake, the cables are sleeved; but very stiff and hard to work with. Is it possible to substitute the cables from the Ultra on the Thermaltake without harm? The headers on both sets of cables appear to be the same, ie. 6-pin PCI, 4/8-pin 12v etc. except for the color.
Thanks,
Jakeman97

More about : cables psu

a c 243 ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 10:48:13 AM

If the cable pinouts are the same, yes.
You would want to use a DMM to check, and swap pins where neccessary.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 12:08:36 PM

Normally the cables are not wired the same. For example even for the same brand Antec the cables for 500W and 850W are not compatible.

You need to check both ends of the cable and check it with DMM as delluser suggested.

I have seen PSU with sense line at the load-side so it provides cables with additional wire. Don't be confuse with colors and numbers of wires. Check it with DMM.
Related resources
July 22, 2010 12:08:57 PM

Thank you delluser1. Perhaps my question was misunderstood. My systems have no dedicated parts ie. Dell or HP. Picture if you will an 18" PCI-6 cable with a 'female' modular connector on each end. The male pins inside the PSU are 'male' and the pins on the video card are 'male'. I don't know much about electronics except a six wire cable is a six wire cable. If the male pins are good for one cable why not the other if the cable is female to female?
Jakeman97
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 12:33:01 PM

Jakeman97 said:
Thank you delluser1. Perhaps my question was misunderstood. My systems have no dedicated parts ie. Dell or HP. Picture if you will an 18" PCI-6 cable with a 'female' modular connector on each end. The male pins inside the PSU are 'male' and the pins on the video card are 'male'. I don't know much about electronics except a six wire cable is a six wire cable. If the male pins are good for one cable why not the other if the cable is female to female?
Jakeman97

I'm curious as to the meaning of the bolded statement.
My nic is just that a forum nic.

Instead of me picturing a pcie cable, I thought I might provide you with one.
I have a habit of using them to create my own custom modular cables
July 22, 2010 12:50:08 PM

I jumped to conclusions and thought you were trying to warn me that Dell PSUs are not wired the same as others. I thank you for your reply and pix. Based on that I won't do any swapping. I guess if it aint broke; I won't fix it. The Ultra cables are molded and I really have no way to determine where the sense line is attached.
Jakeman97
July 29, 2010 12:00:08 AM

Best answer selected by Jakeman97.
!