Sign in with
Your question

Difference Between MSI Packages And Ghost Images

Last response: in Networking
February 25, 2010 5:26:16 PM

Hi there everyone, im a trainee network administrator.

Am wondering if you guys could help me on understanding the difference between MSI packages and ghost images

which one is better when adding software to computers on a network

a simple explanation of how they work and how they are different would be great

many thanks

scott.
Anonymous
February 25, 2010 9:37:54 PM

Why would even think one would have anything to do with the other? MSI is Microsoft Installer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer) and Ghost Images are backups of hard drivers made using Symantec or Norton Ghost program.
February 26, 2010 7:23:13 AM

They do have something to do with eachother as they are both ways of adding software to computers on a server network environment. ive read the wikipedia link but it doesnt explain the differences of both.

And symantec is made by norton ghost my friend :) 
Related resources
Anonymous
February 26, 2010 10:05:39 AM

No, MSI is a way of installing software in Windows. Ghost is for reimaging computers. FYI, there is a Symantec version of Ghost and a Norton version. I've used both versions. And Symantec owns Norton, not the other way around.
February 26, 2010 1:15:15 PM

scott-bevan said:
Hi there everyone, im a trainee network administrator.

Am wondering if you guys could help me on understanding the difference between MSI packages and ghost images

which one is better when adding software to computers on a network

a simple explanation of how they work and how they are different would be great

many thanks

scott.

well in networks there are 2 ways of installing NETWORK software. MSIing it out to the computers or making an image of a hard drive with all the software on it and then rolling it out. both ways mean great you get software rolled out on computers .. what im asking is the difference e.g. pro's and con's of the two

you're just telling me about one being installer and one being a imager, which is correct but not what im asking thanks anyway.

and oh i apologize i thought norton and symantec were the same thing lol.
Anonymous
February 26, 2010 7:33:03 PM

I don't know what "MSI" you're asking about. Where are you getting your info?
February 27, 2010 8:24:58 AM

Urm im getting the info from lecturers and networkers, i was wondering if someone on here could help me with the two different ways of computer roll out techniques.
!