Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Anybody who can simplify a dual psu system?

Last response: in Components
July 22, 2010 10:23:05 AM

hey, my first post in this section, althoug i've been around here for like 4 years already. so my question is about dual psu's. i want a gpu upgrade without spending too much, my idea is around a 5870/gtx470. the problem im near the limit of my psu's capability (corsair vx450 currently running a 3.0ghz q6600 + a gtx260).

scanning around, i found 2 implementations of how a dual psu system would work, although most of the articles ive seen were prehistoric (circa 2002). 1 is through hotwiring the 2 psus together and the other is to just hook up the non-12v consuming peripherals to the other psu.

option 1 is a bit complicated because i dont know much about electronics.

now regarding option 2, would it actually work? even without hooking the 24pin from the aux psu?

note: buying a better powersupply than my vx450 is not an option, the budget is just isnt there. i know a pretty dependable 430w psu that cost around $16 and that all im willing to pay for it .

a c 243 ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 10:27:18 AM

wh3resmycar said:
a pretty dependable 430w psu that cost around $16.

That's like a mermaid , no such thing.
m
l
July 22, 2010 10:43:25 AM

as above.

no way in hell thats a dependable PSU. quality components cost more than that to produce.

from the sounds of it, you are in the planning stages of thoroughly destroying your PC.
good luck.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2010 11:25:48 AM

said:

geez, what i meant by that is that it would be dependable for the purpose i intend to do:

plugging my hdd/romdrive/fans on it.

or are you going to contend that a 430w psu with 2(18amps+12amps) would actually explode when you plug 2 hardrives on it?

from the sounds of it, you are in the planning stages of thoroughly destroying your PC.
good luck.

said:

good luck.

read line 3.

m
l
July 22, 2010 11:29:24 AM

i would contend that a PSU that cost 16 dollars could blow up with a strong gust of wind.

its up to you, but i wouldn't want a PSU like that in my system just to power a fan.
m
l
July 22, 2010 11:37:36 AM

i would contend that a PSU that cost 16 dollars could blow up with a strong gust of wind.
said:

you mean you dont know what powers prebuilt desktop/office systems that come from dell/hp/acer (the cheap ones)? you mean you never heard of a generic psu?
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 11:51:35 AM

wh3resmycar said:

are you going to contend that a 430w psu with 2(18amps+12amps) would actually explode when you plug 2 hardrives on it?

No, not saying it would explode with such a small load on it, just that there is no such thing as a " dependable " $16 power supply.
You have already stated that you did the research, the method hasn't changed , in order to have the secondary psu start up with the system you will either have to buy a dual psu adapter or hotwire the 2 units together.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 5:18:15 PM

wh3resmycar, I wouldn't put a $16 430 watt PSU into your computer.
m
l

Best solution

July 22, 2010 8:33:32 PM

OK, there all correct about the wiring to psus together, there are no dependable ones at 16$ blah blah blah. Also, the other option was stated already, There are drivebay PSUs that are made specifically to power VGA cards, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., Newegg sure doesn't offer a variety of em but thats pretty cheap but i wouldn't trust it to much, then again it is cheap cause its on sale. Though If you are in the room to look for drive-bay psus i'd go to Performance-Pcs instead. I'm pretty sure they sell some.
July 22, 2010 11:38:19 PM

wh3resmycar said:
you mean you dont know what powers prebuilt desktop/office systems that come from dell/hp/acer (the cheap ones)? you mean you never heard of a generic psu?

yes ive heard of them. and guess what? i wouldn't buy one of those systems, or put one of its PSUs any where near a system i was building.
m
l
July 23, 2010 4:42:34 AM

yes ive heard of them. and guess what? i wouldn't buy one of those systems, or put one of its PSUs any where near a system i was building.
said:

yeah, i understand the narcissism and the epeen at hand, but in my circumstance wherein so little load would be put on the $16 psu, this is the part where i tell you stfu. you're not helping at all.

Just buy a new PSU to support your new load. You are not qualified to gang 2 PSU and has no sufficient knowledge to do it correctly.
said:

Just buy a new PSU to support your new load. You are not qualified to gang 2 PSU and has no sufficient knowledge to do it correctly.

i can actually buy one but that would hamper the budget for the new gpu. but wait, lookie here..

Also, the other option was stated already, There are drivebay PSUs that are made specifically to power VGA cards, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [... said:
r%20supply, ] Also, the other option was stated already, There are drivebay PSUs that are made specifically to power VGA cards, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] r%20supply,

problem solved, although you guys were a bit skeptical about plugging 2 hard drives into a $16 psu, i guess a $20 one would be a bit better. but no way i'd plug a whole gpu on it.
m
l
July 23, 2010 4:45:13 AM

you came here to get expert advice, you promptly ignored it, and insulted us.

doesn't really matter, but i for one won't be helping you in future. i wonder how many others will be making a note of your name.
m
l
July 23, 2010 4:53:06 AM

you came here to get expert advice, you promptly ignored it, and insulted [b said:
me.]you came here to get expert advice, you promptly ignored it, and insulted me.
[/b]

there i corrected it for you. you never helped welsh, you never did.

m
l
July 23, 2010 4:54:49 AM

Best answer selected by wh3resmycar.
m
l
July 23, 2010 10:30:31 AM

@OP, I mailed you. Got an article that is related if your interested
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 23, 2010 3:35:20 PM

welshmousepk said:
you came here to get expert advice, you promptly ignored it, and insulted us.

doesn't really matter, but i for one won't be helping you in future. i wonder how many others will be making a note of your name.

im too lazy to make note of anything :) 
m
l
July 25, 2010 12:21:27 AM

aznshinobi said:
OK, there all correct about the wiring to psus together, there are no dependable ones at 16$ blah blah blah. Also, the other option was stated already, There are drivebay PSUs that are made specifically to power VGA cards, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., Newegg sure doesn't offer a variety of em but thats pretty cheap but i wouldn't trust it to much, then again it is cheap cause its on sale. Though If you are in the room to look for drive-bay psus i'd go to Performance-Pcs instead. I'm pretty sure they sell some.

Can u suggest a similar solution for Int'l buyer as newegg dont ship to India, and other international sellers are askin for more that $110 (Incl shipping) including ebay etc.
m
l
July 25, 2010 4:36:47 AM

Well I don't know any other int'l solutions. But if you do find a place to sell them. The best PSU at that point (110$ w/o shipping) is basically the XFX Black Edition 750 watt. However that is on newegg where its 120$ plus a 20$ rebate :p  So IDK if you'll find it at that price. Also, you should make your own thread for better answers :p 
m
l
!