Solved

Anybody who can simplify a dual psu system?

hey, my first post in this section, althoug i've been around here for like 4 years already. so my question is about dual psu's. i want a gpu upgrade without spending too much, my idea is around a 5870/gtx470. the problem im near the limit of my psu's capability (corsair vx450 currently running a 3.0ghz q6600 + a gtx260).

scanning around, i found 2 implementations of how a dual psu system would work, although most of the articles ive seen were prehistoric (circa 2002). 1 is through hotwiring the 2 psus together and the other is to just hook up the non-12v consuming peripherals to the other psu.

option 1 is a bit complicated because i dont know much about electronics.

now regarding option 2, would it actually work? even without hooking the 24pin from the aux psu?

note: buying a better powersupply than my vx450 is not an option, the budget is just isnt there. i know a pretty dependable 430w psu that cost around $16 and that all im willing to pay for it .
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about anybody simplify dual system
  1. wh3resmycar said:
    a pretty dependable 430w psu that cost around $16.

That's like a mermaid , no such thing.
  2. as above.

no way in hell thats a dependable PSU. quality components cost more than that to produce.

from the sounds of it, you are in the planning stages of thoroughly destroying your PC.
    good luck.
  3. Quote:
    That's like a mermaid , no such thing.

geez, what i meant by that is that it would be dependable for the purpose i intend to do:

plugging my hdd/romdrive/fans on it.

or are you going to contend that a 430w psu with 2(18amps+12amps) would actually explode when you plug 2 hardrives on it?

Quote:

from the sounds of it, you are in the planning stages of thoroughly destroying your PC.
    good luck.

read line 3.
  4. i would contend that a PSU that cost 16 dollars could blow up with a strong gust of wind.

its up to you, but i wouldn't want a PSU like that in my system just to power a fan.
  5. case in point is this:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ga-x58a-ud9_5.html#sect0

xbitlabs managed to use 2 1kw psu on their dream rig where in the aux psu feeds the other 2 cards, in my case which obviously less ambitious, the aux psu would feed probably 2 to 3 harddrives and a couple of casefans.
  6. Quote:
    i would contend that a PSU that cost 16 dollars could blow up with a strong gust of wind.

you mean you dont know what powers prebuilt desktop/office systems that come from dell/hp/acer (the cheap ones)? you mean you never heard of a generic psu?
  7. wh3resmycar said:

are you going to contend that a 430w psu with 2(18amps+12amps) would actually explode when you plug 2 hardrives on it?

No, not saying it would explode with such a small load on it, just that there is no such thing as a " dependable " $16 power supply.
    You have already stated that you did the research, the method hasn't changed , in order to have the secondary psu start up with the system you will either have to buy a dual psu adapter or hotwire the 2 units together.
  8. wh3resmycar, I wouldn't put a $16 430 watt PSU into your computer.
  9. Just buy a new PSU to support your new load. You are not qualified to gang 2 PSU and has no sufficient knowledge to do it correctly.

If you make mistake with your plan to gang 2 PSU... It may potentially damage your PC. It will cost you more money.

Go to Antec for PSU calculator
    http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Corsair PSU Selector
    http://www.corsair.com/highqualitypower/default.aspx
  10. Best answer
    OK, there all correct about the wiring to psus together, there are no dependable ones at 16$ blah blah blah. Also, the other option was stated already, There are drivebay PSUs that are made specifically to power VGA cards, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101044&Tpk=drive%20bay%20power%20supply, Newegg sure doesn't offer a variety of em but thats pretty cheap but i wouldn't trust it to much, then again it is cheap cause its on sale. Though If you are in the room to look for drive-bay psus i'd go to Performance-Pcs instead. I'm pretty sure they sell some.
  11. wh3resmycar said:
    you mean you dont know what powers prebuilt desktop/office systems that come from dell/hp/acer (the cheap ones)? you mean you never heard of a generic psu?

yes ive heard of them. and guess what? i wouldn't buy one of those systems, or put one of its PSUs any where near a system i was building.
  12. Quote:
    yes ive heard of them. and guess what? i wouldn't buy one of those systems, or put one of its PSUs any where near a system i was building.

yeah, i understand the narcissism and the epeen at hand, but in my circumstance wherein so little load would be put on the $16 psu, this is the part where i tell you stfu. you're not helping at all.

Quote:

Just buy a new PSU to support your new load. You are not qualified to gang 2 PSU and has no sufficient knowledge to do it correctly.

i can actually buy one but that would hamper the budget for the new gpu. but wait, lookie here..

Quote:
    Also, the other option was stated already, There are drivebay PSUs that are made specifically to power VGA cards, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] r%20supply,

problem solved, although you guys were a bit skeptical about plugging 2 hard drives into a $16 psu, i guess a $20 one would be a bit better. but no way i'd plug a whole gpu on it.
  13. you came here to get expert advice, you promptly ignored it, and insulted us.

doesn't really matter, but i for one won't be helping you in future. i wonder how many others will be making a note of your name.
  14. Quote:
    you came here to get expert advice, you promptly ignored it, and insulted me.

there i corrected it for you. you never helped welsh, you never did.
  15. Best answer selected by wh3resmycar.
  16. @OP, I mailed you. Got an article that is related if your interested
  17. welshmousepk said:
    you came here to get expert advice, you promptly ignored it, and insulted us.

doesn't really matter, but i for one won't be helping you in future. i wonder how many others will be making a note of your name.

im too lazy to make note of anything :)
  18. aznshinobi said:
    OK, there all correct about the wiring to psus together, there are no dependable ones at 16$ blah blah blah. Also, the other option was stated already, There are drivebay PSUs that are made specifically to power VGA cards, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101044&Tpk=drive%20bay%20power%20supply, Newegg sure doesn't offer a variety of em but thats pretty cheap but i wouldn't trust it to much, then again it is cheap cause its on sale. Though If you are in the room to look for drive-bay psus i'd go to Performance-Pcs instead. I'm pretty sure they sell some.

Can u suggest a similar solution for Int'l buyer as newegg dont ship to India, and other international sellers are askin for more that $110 (Incl shipping) including ebay etc.
  19. Well I don't know any other int'l solutions. But if you do find a place to sell them. The best PSU at that point (110$ w/o shipping) is basically the XFX Black Edition 750 watt. However that is on newegg where its 120$ plus a 20$ rebate :P So IDK if you'll find it at that price. Also, you should make your own thread for better answers :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product