Sign in with
Your question

Lost c partition, intalled windowsXP on D, tried to reformat c, now can't boot o

Last response: in Windows XP
February 5, 2013 12:42:37 AM

my C partition was corrupt and couldn't load windows. I installed on D and was able to start. I tried to reformat C, but failed to complete. Now I can't start from D.

I have tried the restore console, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR.

I notice the boot order in the bios lists the drive a C, I can't change or don't know if the D can be changed to C.

More about : lost partition intalled windowsxp reformat boot

February 5, 2013 5:50:34 PM

Are C and D separate disks? There are some boot files that are on the C partition, even if Windows is installed on the D partition. Which you deleted when you tried to format the drive.

I suggest you buy a new hard-drive and install Windows on that, if you can't finish a format, and the partition was "corrupt" as you said, it's a good chance the hard-drive is bad.
m
l
February 5, 2013 6:43:19 PM

j_grand said:
my C partition was corrupt and couldn't load windows. I installed on D and was able to start. I tried to reformat C, but failed to complete. Now I can't start from D.

I have tried the restore console, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR.

I notice the boot order in the bios lists the drive a C, I can't change or don't know if the D can be changed to C.

Use the Windows XP Installation CD and from the Recovery Console, instead of Fixboot or Fixmbr, type DISKPART and next, type; list volume, next type; select volume # that represents the D partition, next type; ACTIVE... you should get a response confirming that the partition is now active.

Next: type Exit and Restart the computer and it should boot right up.

Do as you see in the image to make it easier.
m
l
!