Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II 720 bottleneck?

Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2010 10:38:20 AM

For gaming purposes:

I want to upgrade to a 5850 or 5870, but I'm unsure if my current cpu (Phenom II 720 unlocked x4 @ 3.2) will bottleneck my system. I was reading a FFXIV website when I found ingame benchmark scores for gpu/cpu configurations - see below (this is what made me think I will be bottlenecked).

I could upgrade to a Phenom II 965, but all I will be getting is a few more mhz (as far as I know), will that even help, or worth throwing out my current gpu?

Current system:
Processor: Phenom II X3 BE 720 - Unlocked x4 @ 3.2 ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
Graphics: IceQ 1gb 4870

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

More about : phenom 720 bottleneck

a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 10:52:01 AM

If there is a bottleneck, it will be marginal.

3 cores should be plenty for the game, and is certainly fine for the GPU.
July 22, 2010 11:21:22 AM

ok thank you

Get a chance to look at those benchmarks by chance? Results are weird, ppl with same gpu getting far better scores with better cpus.

Scores are from a downloadable benchmark utility for a anticipated MMORPG coming out in a month. So might not be portraying what actual ingame graphics/performance will be.

It will be nice to let ppl know on certain forums to not worry, alot of ppl are worried they will need to upgrade their cpu >.<
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 11:23:28 AM

i tend not to trust pre-release game benchmarks. and i rarely trust random scores posted on the internet either. you never know whats really going on with a persons system.

The very fact that this is an MMO makes me think its not going to need much of a system. a lot of people seem worried about this one, but im sure it will be fine.

a c 105 à CPUs
July 22, 2010 12:58:34 PM

welshmousepk said:
If there is a bottleneck, it will be marginal.

3 cores should be plenty for the game, and is certainly fine for the GPU.

he has the 4th core unlocked and OC to 3.2ghz He's basically running a locked x4 955.

there should be no bottleneck issues.
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2010 11:44:11 PM

didn't evemn spot that.

very right. there wouldn't even be a worthwhile upgrade available to you.
!