Sign in with
Your question

Socket 1155 ASUS Pro Board MB and the Recall

Last response: in Motherboards
February 3, 2011 3:53:07 PM

Hello all...

Question regarding chipset flaw on the Sandy Bridge mother boards and the ASUS PRO board.

In regards to this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This board has four SATA 6GBPS connections that would not be affected by defective chipset...correct?

I'm just clarifying because I ordered the day before the issue was announced and now I have all the parts to build my new Sandy Bridge computer (arrived today)...just trying to decide if I should proceed with the build or not...I use two HDDs and one optical drive so it seems like this issue won't affect me currently (although I will still swap out MB in April anyway)...

Thoughts/opinions? What would you do?
February 3, 2011 4:03:52 PM

The 2 navy blue 6 Gbps SATA ports on the P8P67 Pro are on a Marvell controller, so you could connect your HDDs to those. I'm not sure about the 2 grey 6 Gbps SATA ports, which I believe are also on the faulty Intel controller. Since this is reportedly a long-term problem and not an immediate concern, you should be fine until you can get a replacement board in 2 or 3 months.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 3, 2011 4:25:55 PM

The Marvell controller's two SATA III ports and the Intel controller's two SATA III ports are both immune to the problem. You can hook up four drives without worrying about the problem cropping up.

I'd put the two hard drives on the Marvell SATA III and the optical on the Intel SATA III.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2011 10:09:52 PM

Quick additional question to this (as I currently have a HDD, a SSD, and optical drive, and the same mobo).

If he is not putting the HDDs in a raid config, would it not be better to put one HDD on the intel with the optical drive, and the remaining HDD on the Marvell? I only say this because I have been told the Marvell SATAs are abit slower.

In my case I was thinking of putting the SSD on the intel SATA for the faster speeds (using it as the install point for my operating system). Place the optical on the Intel, then the remaining storage HDD on the Marvell. Would this not be a better option? Seriously asking a question here, I'm not sure....
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 4, 2011 2:35:24 AM

I've never paid attention to the speeds of the controllers because I don't actually have SATA III devices.

However, even the "slower" Marvell SATA III is fast enough for even the fastest SATA II devices.

Hell, if you're that worried about it -- benchmark them both and use the faster one.
m
l
February 18, 2011 1:47:22 PM

As far as I know all socket 1155 motherboards have been withdrawn by Intel.
m
l
!