GTX 275 with Antec Truepower Trio 550w?

lovesexy

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Hi all

I have a bit of a dilemma. My beloved 8800gt has finally ceased to exist! So I'm looking at purchasing a GTX275 second hand as a replacement.
I've heard that the GTX275 requires a minimum of 550w PSU and 12v 40A whatever that means!! As you can tell, I'm not very good at all of this technical stuff! My Antec 550w Truepower Trio psu states that I have 3 12v rails with a maximum output of 42a (504w. I have 4x 1gb ram, 3 drives, 1 pci soundcard (high end) and 6 usb devices running from the PSU.

The question is: would my current PSU safely run the GTX 275 for a while? And what happens if it fails to run the card? I plan to upgrade the complete system in maybe 18 months but don't have the cash at the moment - however, I don't want to risk ruining any of the components.

Thanks in advance for any help.

acer0169

Distinguished
Haha shame about your 8800GT.. I was talking to be friend only the other day, saying how it was the top dog for so long and I was always too poor to get it so I got 8600GTS's in SLI instead ha.

Anywayyyyyyy

I would say your PSU probably would be able to take it as it's a good make, but I would personally want to upgrade the PSU now and not risk having a GPU failure or unstable gaming etc. Get a 750W to cover yourself for when you upgrade further down the line, it doesn't have to be a £200 "high-end-brand" PSU, but I would want a higher rated PSU than the minimum my components need ;).

The GeForce GTX 275 will draw a maximum of 18.25 Amps from the +12 Volt rail(s). The card has two 6-Pin PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors.

The Antec TruePower Trio 550, with its three 18 Amp +12 Volt rails able to deliver 42 Amps combined, is more than able to handle the GeForce GTX 275. It already has the requisite two 6-Pin PCI-E connectors required by the GeForce GTX 275.

There is no need for a new power supply unit.

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I wouldn't be replacing your PSU for old tech like the GTX275, best to shop around for a bargain on a more energy efficient card with similar or better performance