RAM/Memory Issue - Dell Optiplex GX620

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Optiplex
  • Dell
Last response: in Memory
February 3, 2011 5:19:12 PM

I recently purchased 2GB of DDR2 RAM for my Dell Optiplex GX620.

I already have 2 sticks of 512mb in there, and I just added the single 2GB stick to one of the spare slots.

I booted it up after installing the ram, and nothing appeared on my monitor. The PC repeatedly buzzed.

I took out the RAM and tried it with only the 2GB stick. It worked.

For some reason, it will not work with my other 1GB of RAM.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

More about : ram memory issue dell optiplex gx620

February 3, 2011 5:30:33 PM

For best results you want to add memory in pairs. Adding the single 2GB stick took you down to single channel mode. Either way, the 2x512mb + 1x2GB is not compatible with each other. My advise is to pick up a matching 2GB module and run 4GB in pairs of 2GB sticks.
February 3, 2011 5:33:44 PM

sadams04 said:
For best results you want to add memory in pairs. Adding the single 2GB stick took you down to single channel mode. Either way, the 2x512mb + 1x2GB is not compatible with each other. My advise is to pick up a matching 2GB module and run 4GB in pairs of 2GB sticks.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'm a little short on money right now, but is there any other way to get the memory working together?
Related resources
a b } Memory
February 3, 2011 5:44:57 PM

Does everything else about the memory match? voltage, timings, etc.? That could cause the incompatibility.
February 3, 2011 5:45:32 PM

Most likely not. You can't get into the Dell's and start manipulating voltages and speeds to find something that will work. For now just run the single 2GB module.
February 3, 2011 5:48:17 PM

clarkjd said:
Does everything else about the memory match? voltage, timings, etc.? That could cause the incompatibility.

I'm not sure, but the 2GB ram seems to be working fine without the other 1GB ram. Is there a way to test if it is working properly or not?

sadams04: Ok, I'll run the single 2GB for now. Thanks for the help.
February 4, 2011 1:14:34 AM

Single DIMM must go into white slot 1(furthest from edge). After that put the 2 512's in black slot 3 and 4. It may not work in which case you can check bios to disable dual channel or you will have to remove the 512 from black slot 4.

It's best to buy memory in pairs so you can use dual channel.
!