Help with my display; 40'' tv or new monitor?

zeppman

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hey guys,

I hope this is the right spot for this. I just purchased parts for a new build, including a Radeon 5850. My current monitor is an older flat screen 19'' square style monitor. I also have a 40'' 1080p lcd tv. Would it be best to connect the computer to the tv? or purchase a new monitor? My current monitor only has a vga input, and not the greatest resolution (I'm sure of this since it is nearly 9 years old). Obviously I bought a nice graphics card, so I want a nice display.

So, what would I gain in purchasing a dedicated computer monitor? Does the hdmi outputs of the 5850 deliver sound? Will my tv be compatible with this card (it has hdmi inputs) and be able to show the video and play the sound properly?

I also have an older yamaha receiver that does not have hdmi inputs. Is there a way where, if I were to use my tv as a display, I could somehow send the audio signal to the receiver?

Thanks for you help, and I apologize if my questions are dumb or have obvious answers.... I'm new to all of this.

Solution
You should be able to connect your computer to your HDTV via an HDMI cable.
Yes, HDMI will carry sound to your TV.
You can change the default audio device in control panel to your analog sound card (discrete or on-board). Use a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable to connect your PC to your receiver.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You should be able to connect your computer to your HDTV via an HDMI cable.
Yes, HDMI will carry sound to your TV.
You can change the default audio device in control panel to your analog sound card (discrete or on-board). Use a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable to connect your PC to your receiver.

-Wolf sends

Solution