Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 SSD Installation

Last response: in Storage
July 2, 2012 5:19:41 AM

I am planning on building a PC with the OS(in this case Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) installed on an SSD, while my files, programs, etc. are stored on a 2TB internal HDD. I don't want to spend too much money on my parts, so I plan on using this dual drive configuration. My question is: will a 32GB SSD be sufficient to install Win7 64bit? I know that it should only take up 20GB, but is there any other system data that will take up space on the SSD? Or is a 32GB for the OS okay? Sorry for the long post, but this is my first build, and I want to know everything before I get my feet wet.

More about : windows ssd installation

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 544 G Storage
July 2, 2012 5:50:17 AM

You really should not be installing Windows on an SSD less than 60GB.

If you're going to buy a 32GB SSD read your motherboard specs and see if it supports SSD caching (Intel SRT). If it does then install your O/S on your HDD and use the 32GB SSD as a cache drive.

Your performance will be better than installing the O/S on such a small SSD.
July 2, 2012 2:03:19 PM

Thanks. It looks like my motherboard does support the Smart Response Technology. When I use that, will boot time/startup, as well as performance improve?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 544 G Storage
July 2, 2012 4:01:31 PM

I believe it's just performance, not boot time.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
July 2, 2012 4:10:38 PM

I would never use the HDD over the SSD for a boot device. The SSD will always be faster then the HDD unless you have a major setup problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 544 G Storage
July 2, 2012 4:21:46 PM

I would never use a 32GB drive as my boot drive.

32GB formatted is 29.76GB. Subtract 20GB for the Win 7 install and you're left with 9.76GB of free NAND. Your performance will crawl.
m
l
July 2, 2012 4:32:41 PM

Best answer selected by dragonborn1337.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
July 2, 2012 4:33:42 PM

Well you don't put the swap file on the SSD, you don't allow it to hibernate and keep the hiberfile.sys off and your install size goes down dramatically.
m
l
July 2, 2012 5:15:17 PM

Dereck47 said:
You really should not be installing Windows on an SSD less than 60GB.

If you're going to buy a 32GB SSD read your motherboard specs and see if it supports SSD caching (Intel SRT). If it does then install your O/S on your HDD and use the 32GB SSD as a cache drive.

Your performance will be better than installing the O/S on such a small SSD.

After looking through 32GB SSDs on Newegg and similar sites, I have decided on a 60GB SSD instead(due to less cost per GB). Will I get even better performance with Intel SRT compared to a 32GB? I suppose the main question is: does a larger cache=better performance?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 544 G Storage
July 2, 2012 5:51:04 PM

Yes, Intel SRT performance will be better with a 60GB drive.
m
l
!