Windows 7 SSD Installation

dragonborn1337

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I am planning on building a PC with the OS(in this case Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) installed on an SSD, while my files, programs, etc. are stored on a 2TB internal HDD. I don't want to spend too much money on my parts, so I plan on using this dual drive configuration. My question is: will a 32GB SSD be sufficient to install Win7 64bit? I know that it should only take up 20GB, but is there any other system data that will take up space on the SSD? Or is a 32GB for the OS okay? Sorry for the long post, but this is my first build, and I want to know everything before I get my feet wet.

Solution
You really should not be installing Windows on an SSD less than 60GB.

If you're going to buy a 32GB SSD read your motherboard specs and see if it supports SSD caching (Intel SRT). If it does then install your O/S on your HDD and use the 32GB SSD as a cache drive.

Your performance will be better than installing the O/S on such a small SSD.
You really should not be installing Windows on an SSD less than 60GB.

If you're going to buy a 32GB SSD read your motherboard specs and see if it supports SSD caching (Intel SRT). If it does then install your O/S on your HDD and use the 32GB SSD as a cache drive.

Your performance will be better than installing the O/S on such a small SSD.

Solution

dragonborn1337

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

After looking through 32GB SSDs on Newegg and similar sites, I have decided on a 60GB SSD instead(due to less cost per GB). Will I get even better performance with Intel SRT compared to a 32GB? I suppose the main question is: does a larger cache=better performance?