Solved

Windows 7 SSD Installation

I am planning on building a PC with the OS(in this case Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) installed on an SSD, while my files, programs, etc. are stored on a 2TB internal HDD. I don't want to spend too much money on my parts, so I plan on using this dual drive configuration. My question is: will a 32GB SSD be sufficient to install Win7 64bit? I know that it should only take up 20GB, but is there any other system data that will take up space on the SSD? Or is a 32GB for the OS okay? Sorry for the long post, but this is my first build, and I want to know everything before I get my feet wet.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows installation
  1. Best answer
    You really should not be installing Windows on an SSD less than 60GB.

If you're going to buy a 32GB SSD read your motherboard specs and see if it supports SSD caching (Intel SRT). If it does then install your O/S on your HDD and use the 32GB SSD as a cache drive.

Your performance will be better than installing the O/S on such a small SSD.
  2. Thanks. It looks like my motherboard does support the Smart Response Technology. When I use that, will boot time/startup, as well as performance improve?
  3. I believe it's just performance, not boot time.
  4. I would never use the HDD over the SSD for a boot device. The SSD will always be faster then the HDD unless you have a major setup problem.
  5. I would never use a 32GB drive as my boot drive.

32GB formatted is 29.76GB. Subtract 20GB for the Win 7 install and you're left with 9.76GB of free NAND. Your performance will crawl.
  6. Best answer selected by dragonborn1337.
  7. Well you don't put the swap file on the SSD, you don't allow it to hibernate and keep the hiberfile.sys off and your install size goes down dramatically.
  8. Dereck47 said:
    You really should not be installing Windows on an SSD less than 60GB.

If you're going to buy a 32GB SSD read your motherboard specs and see if it supports SSD caching (Intel SRT). If it does then install your O/S on your HDD and use the 32GB SSD as a cache drive.

Your performance will be better than installing the O/S on such a small SSD.

After looking through 32GB SSDs on Newegg and similar sites, I have decided on a 60GB SSD instead(due to less cost per GB). Will I get even better performance with Intel SRT compared to a 32GB? I suppose the main question is: does a larger cache=better performance?
  9. Yes, Intel SRT performance will be better with a 60GB drive.
  10. Great! Thanks a lot
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Windows 7 Storage