EasyShare Software messed up my computer

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 11, 2004 1:17:06 AM

Hello out there. I am currently at work sending out this SOS to the Kodak Easyshare gurus.

After I loaded the EasyShare 3.2 software to my computer (Windows98), I lost the ability to log on to the internet (I use NetZero). This weekend I am going to follow the directions provided over the phone (from China, I think) "Uninstall previous version and then Install the new version." I am concerned and don't understand why the EasyShare software caused my system to go haywire. There are other things going on with the computer since EasySnare came into my life. Explorer gets errors and shuts down. I don't want EasyShare to load Adware to my computer. I don't want EasyShare to take over various parts of my computer. I am very well trained in PhotoShop and I would like to be able to transfer the pics I take to my C drive and save them as JPEGs then burn CDs. I have a TDK Burner 32X I don't think that the burner is supported by the EasyShare stuff ... EasyShare does not recognize my burner and therefore I cannot use a CDRW like a big floppy and mail it to my family for their enjoyment.

I am also an e-tailer and would like to be able to get back into business ... posting photos of my wares is essential. Hopefully I will be successful and won't spend my entire weekend getting nowhere except frustrated.

Talk to you guys this weekend, I hope!!!

Sadie

December 11, 2004 1:17:07 AM

Forget about the Easy(snare) software and just use a card reader or such to
directly copy/move the pics to the PC. Then use Photoshop like you usually
do.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:13:35 AM

Thanks Bob,

I'm glad you noticed my pun!

Sadie

December 11, 2004 12:14:08 PM

Easy Share installs a spybot called backweb.
Find another way to view your pictures. Like Irfanview or ACDSee.
Easy share is bad news software. Shame on you Kodak.

Doug

"Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> wrote in message
> Hello out there. I am currently at work sending out this SOS to the Kodak
Easyshare gurus.

> After I loaded the EasyShare 3.2 software to my computer (Windows98), I
lost the ability to log on to the internet (I use NetZero). This weekend I
am going to follow the directions provided over the phone (from China, I
think) "Uninstall previous version and then Install the new version." I am
concerned and don't understand why the EasyShare software caused my system
to go haywire. There are other things going on with the computer since
EasySnare came into my life. Explorer gets errors and shuts down. I don't
want EasyShare to load Adware to my computer. I don't want EasyShare to
take over various parts of my computer. I am very well trained in PhotoShop
and I would like to be able to transfer the pics I take to my C drive and
save them as JPEGs then burn CDs. I have a TDK Burner 32X I don't think
that the burner is supported by the EasyShare stuff ... EasyShare does not
recognize my burner and therefore I cannot use a CDRW like a big floppy and
mail it to my family for their enjoyment.

> I am also an e-tailer and would like to be able to get back into business
.... posting photos of my wares is essential. Hopefully I will be successful
and won't spend my entire weekend getting nowhere except frustrated.

> Talk to you guys this weekend, I hope!!!
>
> Sadie

December 11, 2004 12:14:09 PM

Aha!

Thank you so much! I have a spyware destroy program and it did not like the backweb program and I got an error every time I logged on saying that there was a fault in backweb.

I am now at home and managed to get my NetZero back on line! Yippee.

NOW ... I need to check out Irfanview or ACD See. Thank you Doug. I will google those and see what comes up. Any further instructions?

P.S. I agree ... shame on you Kodak. I trusted your name and now I don't. You put faulty software on the market. How do I know this? Because I found this site with numerous complaints and work-arounds for EasyShare. What was a great idea was corrupted by adware being included and the product not being safe for computers and causing distress to consumers.

December 11, 2004 12:14:09 PM

Okay ... I have uninstalled all versions of Easyshare and all files that said "Kodak". Now what I want to do is save my photos that were taken (with the DX6790) and transferred to my computer using the Kodak dock to a CDRW that has been formatted to serve as a large floppy. When I attempt to do so I get an error message that says: "you do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to open this file." Arrrrgh! I AM THE OWNER! The files are in my C Drive and I don't know how to reconfigure them or do whatever it is that I need to do to make them savable.

December 11, 2004 12:14:10 PM

Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Aha!
>
> Thank you so much! I have a spyware destroy program and it did not
> like the backweb program and I got an error every time I logged on
> saying that there was a fault in backweb.
>
> I am now at home and managed to get my NetZero back on line! Yippee.
>
> NOW ... I need to check out Irfanview or ACD See. Thank you Doug.
> I will google those and see what comes up. Any further instructions?
>
> P.S. I agree ... shame on you Kodak. I trusted your name and now I
> don't. You put faulty software on the market. How do I know this?
> Because I found this site with numerous complaints and work-arounds
> for EasyShare. What was a great idea was corrupted by adware being
> included and the product not being safe for computers and causing
> distress to consumers.

I had a similar experience. Total waste of time and energy. Kodak
finishes an uninstall with some kind of a remove-the-debris program
available from their site. Seems like an admission of guilt, no?

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

> Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
>> Aha!
>>
>> Thank you so much! I have a spyware destroy program and it did not
>> like the backweb program and I got an error every time I logged on
>> saying that there was a fault in backweb.
>>
>> I am now at home and managed to get my NetZero back on line! Yippee.
>>
>> NOW ... I need to check out Irfanview or ACD See. Thank you Doug.
>> I will google those and see what comes up. Any further instructions?
>>
>> P.S. I agree ... shame on you Kodak. I trusted your name and now I
>> don't. You put faulty software on the market. How do I know this?
>> Because I found this site with numerous complaints and work-arounds
>> for EasyShare. What was a great idea was corrupted by adware being
>> included and the product not being safe for computers and causing
>> distress to consumers.
>
> I had a similar experience. Total waste of time and energy. Kodak finishes
> an uninstall with some kind of a remove-the-debris program available from
> their site. Seems like an admission of guilt, no?

Kodak actually addresses the issue of BackWeb "spyware" directly by stamping
their feet and insisting that it's NOT spyware. They link to the BackWeb
site, where BackWeb also insists that they're NOT spyware. All they do is
install a Windows hook that captures every keystroke, mouse move, and
process start/exit on your system. This inevitably slows your system down
(they don't mention that) and its purpose is claimed to be just so that they
can pop up annoying messages when your system is idle.

http://faqs.kodak.com/EasyShare_Software_English/FAQ_13...
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 12:14:12 PM

Cynicor wrote:
http://faqs.kodak.com/EasyShare_Software_English/FAQ_13...

> They link to the BackWeb
> site, where BackWeb also insists that they're NOT spyware. All they
do is
> install a Windows hook that captures every keystroke, mouse move, and
> process start/exit on your system.

Just plain bullshit. No such thing is done. Shame on you for spreading
lies and disinformation.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 12:14:12 PM

Cynicor wrote:
> "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
>
>>Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
>>
>>>Aha!
>>>
>>>Thank you so much! I have a spyware destroy program and it did not
>>>like the backweb program and I got an error every time I logged on
>>>saying that there was a fault in backweb.
>>>
>>>I am now at home and managed to get my NetZero back on line! Yippee.
>>>
>>>NOW ... I need to check out Irfanview or ACD See. Thank you Doug.
>>>I will google those and see what comes up. Any further instructions?
>>>
>>>P.S. I agree ... shame on you Kodak. I trusted your name and now I
>>>don't. You put faulty software on the market. How do I know this?
>>>Because I found this site with numerous complaints and work-arounds
>>>for EasyShare. What was a great idea was corrupted by adware being
>>>included and the product not being safe for computers and causing
>>>distress to consumers.
>>
>>I had a similar experience. Total waste of time and energy. Kodak finishes
>>an uninstall with some kind of a remove-the-debris program available from
>>their site. Seems like an admission of guilt, no?
>

> Kodak actually addresses the issue of BackWeb "spyware" directly by stamping
> their feet and insisting that it's NOT spyware. They link to the BackWeb
> site, where BackWeb also insists that they're NOT spyware. All they do is
> install a Windows hook that captures every keystroke, mouse move, and
> process start/exit on your system. This inevitably slows your system down
> (they don't mention that) and its purpose is claimed to be just so that they
> can pop up annoying messages when your system is idle.
>
> http://faqs.kodak.com/EasyShare_Software_English/FAQ_13...

A rose by any other name....

How sad that what was once such a respectable and responsible
company could sink so low...

Ken
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 12:14:13 PM

> Cynicor wrote:
> http://faqs.kodak.com/EasyShare_Software_English/FAQ_13...
> >

> > They link to the BackWeb
> > site, where BackWeb also insists that they're NOT spyware. All they
> do is
> > install a Windows hook that captures every keystroke, mouse move, and
> > process start/exit on your system.
>
> Just plain bullshit. No such thing is done. Shame on you for spreading
> lies and disinformation.

I'm sorry if I am reading this wrong. On the BackWeb site
(http://www.backweb.com/services/technical/index.cfm) they specifically say
that their DLL is "registered as a system-wide hook" that traps "keyboard
activity, mouse activity, applications - opening and closing of processes."
I've edited a programming magazine for over eight years, and that seems to
me that they're capturing each event. Whether they're saving it or just
using it as binary activity toggle is another question, but they absolutely
have hooks set up.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 12:14:13 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Cynicor wrote:
> http://faqs.kodak.com/EasyShare_Software_English/FAQ_13...
> >

> > They link to the BackWeb
> > site, where BackWeb also insists that they're NOT spyware. All they
> do is
> > install a Windows hook that captures every keystroke, mouse move, and
> > process start/exit on your system.
>

> Just plain bullshit. No such thing is done. Shame on you for spreading
> lies and disinformation.

Hi Ron...

I just went and read it. Backweb tells the story, and
mentions Kodak prominently. And concedes that they
monitor all the things mentioned.

Ken
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 10:00:20 PM

> Okay ... I have uninstalled all versions of Easyshare and all files that
said "Kodak". Now what I want to do is save my photos that were taken (with
the DX6790) and transferred to my computer using the Kodak dock to a CDRW
that has been formatted to serve as a large floppy. When I attempt to do so
I get an error message that says: "you do not have permission to open this
file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to open this file."
Arrrrgh! I AM THE OWNER! The files are in my C Drive and I don't know how
to reconfigure them or do whatever it is that I need to do to make them
savable.

If you use Windows 2000 or XP, change the file ownership to you and not the
kodak client you removed.
Let me give it to clearly now because you seem to be floundering around
looking for a solution you will not find.

Easy share software is really bad stuff for your PC. Backweb is pure
spyware. HP and kodak use it to monitor your PC. They claim it helps them
when you need support. It's all lies. They are using it to harvest
information so they can more narrowly target their marketing.

You need to get hold of a card reader which will read the card in your
camera. Then you need to use a graphic file browser - (there are dozens of
them) Photoshop CS has it's own image browser. Use this system to copy your
image from the card to the PC and then edit them. Side step Easy Share and
Kodak's drivers altogether.

Doug
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 10:00:21 PM

Thanks for your help, Doug ...

You are right, I am a-flounderin'

I have been searching all over for information on how to change ownership of my files (JPEGS currently owned by Kodak Easyshare). I have three folders containing about 100 photos. I know how to get to the MS-DOS prompt but I do not know where to go from there. What are the steps and language to use to chown?

Maybe there is an easy non-techie way to do this within the control panel or somesuch location (security or something). If I could change ownership of these files things would be going swimmingly. Excuse me, but I am getting a haddock.....

Sadie

December 12, 2004 5:21:43 AM

>.save my photos that were taken (with the DX6790) and transferred to
my computer

So *were* the files successfully transferred to your hard drive?

Can you navigate to them in Explorer and view them, without the camera
being connected?

>..I get an error message that says: "you do not have permission to
open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to open
this file."

What exactly did you do leading up to this? Why does the computer
think you are *opening* the files?

Have you ever used a CD-RW like this before? Are you aware of the
differences between a CD-RW and a 'big floppy'? I'm sorry to ask lots
of leading questions, but it sounds to me like this is all very new to
you, and if you haven't used CD's like this before it will be hard to
give you exact advice.. unless we know exactly how you are trying to do
this - eg, is this using Windows XP's built in CD support, or is it
Nero or Easy CD Creator, or InCD, or...... See what I mean?
December 12, 2004 9:17:45 AM

Sadie, may I suggest that you buy a copy of "Power Desk Pro 6" available
from V Communications at

http://www.v-com.com

This is a file management substitute for Windows Explorer with so many tools
you won't believe how you did without it.

I'm not sure if it will allow you "change ownership" of your files but I bet
it will allow you to at least get a copy of them to a folder you want them
in.

The tools in Power Desk are too numerous to mention and your best bet is to
check it out for yourself.

Ross

> Thanks for your help, Doug ...
>
> You are right, I am a-flounderin'
>
> I have been searching all over for information on how to change ownership
> of my files (JPEGS currently owned by Kodak Easyshare). I have three
> folders containing about 100 photos. I know how to get to the MS-DOS
> prompt but I do not know where to go from there. What are the steps and
> language to use to chown?
>
> Maybe there is an easy non-techie way to do this within the control panel
> or somesuch location (security or something). If I could change ownership
> of these files things would be going swimmingly. Excuse me, but I am
> getting a haddock.....
>
> Sadie

December 12, 2004 10:29:44 AM

"Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your help, Doug ...
>
> You are right, I am a-flounderin'
>
> I have been searching all over for information on how to change ownership
of my files (JPEGS currently owned by Kodak Easyshare). I have three
folders containing about 100 photos. I know how to get to the MS-DOS prompt
but I do not know where to go from there. What are the steps and language
to use to chown?

> Maybe there is an easy non-techie way to do this within the control panel
or somesuch location (security or something). If I could change ownership
of these files things would be going swimmingly. Excuse me, but I am
getting a haddock.....

> Sadie

As administrator

1. open Windows Explorer
2. navigate to the directory with your files in it.
3. right click on the directory and choose 'sharing' from the menu.
4. click the tab :sharing
5. Share the directory with everyone
6. change the owner to you.
7. There is no seven, you are done!

Doug
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:47:26 AM

>.save my photos that were taken (with the DX6790) and transferred to my computer

<So *were* the files successfully transferred to your hard drive?>

Yes, the files were successfully transferred to my hard drive.

<Can you navigate to them in Explorer and view them, without the camera
being connected?>

Yes, I can navigate to them in Explorer and view them, without the camera being connected.

>..I get an error message that says: "you do not have permission to
open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to open
this file."

What exactly did you do leading up to this? Why does the computer
think you are *opening* the files?

I had a photo open and had re-saved it as something else thinking that I could then save it to my CD. Maybe the computer thought I was opening the CD Burner? After that message I kept getting Drive D:/ is not ready ..... the CD is in it ... it reads and runs other CDs ... but as soon as I try to save a picture to it it locks me out.

<Have you ever used a CD-RW like this before? Are you aware of the
differences between a CD-RW and a 'big floppy'? I'm sorry to ask lots
of leading questions, but it sounds to me like this is all very new to
you, and if you haven't used CD's like this before it will be hard to
give you exact advice.. unless we know exactly how you are trying to do
this - eg, is this using Windows XP's built in CD support, or is it
Nero or Easy CD Creator, or InCD, or...... See what I mean?>

Well...I know how to format the CD (double-click on the 'in CD' icon on my lower toolbar .. which, by the way has also disappeared. It had been part of my start-up). The CD Burner is a TDK VeloCD (my daughter installed it). I also have used a formatted CD-RW (formatted to use as a 'big floppy' as the prompts tell me) to back-up most of my hard drive or to back-up files that are important to me (historical family photos included). Never had a problem. Boy, oh, boy do I ever have a problem now!!!! I am so frustrated with what this EasyShare (SleazyWare) software has done to my computer and my brain. I just wanted a simple way to transfer photos, send photos, save photos, use photos in business and art, and it seems as though Kodak wanted to take over control of what I could or couldn't do with the photos I took ... wanted me to use EasySnare for all activities related to the photos I take with the DX6490.

AHEM...but I digress ... I certainly would appreciate any help you can provide. I am somewhat computer-literate, but cannot write code or anything like that and really don't understand what makes the computer do what it has done, nor do I know how to undo this tangled mess that I have. (Although I was pretty proud of myself for getting Net-Zero to work again --- they sent me a CD and I was off and running!!)

Thanks, Sadie