Sign in with
Your question

New build - can't decide on case

Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2010 7:56:25 PM

Hi All,

As my 8800gts has die I have started spec'ing a new system.
I have already ordered an XSX 5970 Black Edition and an XSX 750W Black PSU.

Here is the what i have for the rest:
CPU:
i7 920 D0
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Corei7-920-D0-SLBE...

HSF:
Titan Fenrir V2 TTC-NK85TZ
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Titan-Fenrir-V2-TTC-NK85...

MB:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Gigabyte-GA-X58A-UD3R-In...

RAM:
6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 7-7-7-20
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/6GB-%283x2GB%29-Corsair-...

HDD: 500Gb Spinpoint F3
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500Gb-Samsung-Spinpoint-...

I will probably OC it at some point (never played with OC before tho), but will be running stock for a while, hence the low latency 1333 RAM for now.

Case wise I'm really not sure at the mo, it's between the HAF 932 and the Silverstone Raven (RV02). If I could find a release date for the RV02-e I'd get that but I can't find any info on the release.

As it stands I am worried about the 5970 in the RV02, it's a very snug fit, and how close the vid card is to the HDD bays (the mobo above looks like it will be ok as pci-e slot is more central, anyone have this setup in a raven?). Some reviews\comments say the air flow is that good others say it's excellent\amazing and rave about it. As for the HAF it's the lack of dust filters and imo it's an ugly case, but there does seem to more good feedback on sites than the RV02.
Price wise they are the same. I thought I'd read a review on Toms compareing the HAF, RV02 and some others a while back but can't find it now.

My brain says the HAF but my heart and eyes say the RV02 :) , what do y'all think about cases and the build generally? love to hear from anyone with 5970 and RV02

I currently have a 24" and 17" LCD, i'll be adding another 24" at some point.

TIA

G

PS I'll be mostly gaming, but also using it for running multiple VM's and some graphics work (Blender)

More about : build decide case

May 17, 2010 8:55:02 PM

I would go with the RV02...

The motherboard is mounted 90 degrees, meaning the cards are vertical and not horizontal in the case. A 5970 will fit just in the case and it is a sweet looking case!!

Newegg Quote... (take it for that...)
Quote:
Amazing

white Reviewed By: LukeyB on 4/12/2010
Rating + 5
Tech Level Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week

Pros: Everything. Great cooling, great layout, fierce design, and built like a rock. This is actually one of the best gaming cases on the market, rivaled only by it's Silverstone Fortress counterpart. Plenty of room for expansion, nice black finish inside and out. The bottom 3 fans do a phenominal job of cooling, not to mention the other fans it has. Not too many distracting LED's. Fits a 5970 comfortably, and the dust filters in the case fans actually work WELL!
Cons: The shipping cost? LOL? /cry
Other Thoughts: Want a practical full tower? Buy this.
May 17, 2010 10:38:42 PM

The i7 930 is a newer, faster model of the 920 and may be the same price or close to it.
Related resources
May 18, 2010 6:06:11 AM

RV02. You'll need the space for your 5970.
May 18, 2010 8:34:34 AM

I'm in a similar situation.... based on the replies to your post:

Quote:
The i7 930 is a newer, faster model of the 920 and may be the same price or close to it.

There is about a £60 difference and overclocking seems to fine at 3.8-4.0GHz for each. Do you have any performance comparison links (stock and OC'd)?

Quote:
At your budget, you may want to look at the megahalems/megashadow if you want to eventually do some overclocking.

I have seen both the Prolimatech Megahalems and the Titan Fenrir V2 used when overclocking the i7 920 to 4.0GHz, I know it's only an extra £12 but is there much performance difference?

All in all I think it's a nice build, I couldn't have chosen better myself. Good luck finding the perfect case.

P.S The HAF is so ugly but, painfully, seems to be quite highly rated. I hope the RV02B is suitable as it's much better looking and a very innovative design! On a less "personal preference" POV, the lack of dust filters in the HAF is pretty bad IMO.
May 18, 2010 4:09:23 PM

The massive airflow and size of the HAF 932 can not be over stated. The HAF 932 is large enough for any and all of the largest heatsink's and gpu's. You will have no issue fitting a 5970 and a large heatsink into the HAF 932, believe that!

The only downside (according to the naysayers) to the HAF 932 is the lack of fan filters. But that is nothing that can not be solved with the occasional can of compressed air. Truth is, the HAF 932 moves enough air through the case to minimize the dust bunnies. You will have to ignore the inside of your machine for months for heavy dust to become an issue, unless of course the machines is in a very dusty location.

Also worth looking at is Cooler Master ATCS 840. Great design, excellent airflow, and a removable motherboard tray!

I have a lot of respect for Silverstone cases and have owned two of them in past builds. Silverstone are excellent cases, very well built, and solid...but also very overpriced compared to what else is available for the same features. The 90 degree turn of the Raven is, IMHO, is a great gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.
May 18, 2010 6:23:57 PM

Chooibah said:
Quote:

There is about a £60 difference
In the US the 920 is $280 and the 930 is $289. Almost no difference.
May 19, 2010 8:17:33 AM

Quote:
In the US the 920 is $280 and the 930 is $289. Almost no difference.

I was basing it on prices from the UK company Scan, as per the links by the OP. Although looking at all the other UK prices, this i7 920 is a bargain.
!