Sign in with
Your question

New sound card option

Last response: in Components
July 22, 2010 3:00:11 PM

Since my old rig died not long ago, i suspect its the mobo, im thinking of building a new 1.
Whats the best sound card i can buy with a limited budget that does not take up too much space?
Please state the connector type as well thanks =D
i only own 2.1 speakers so whether its 5.1 or 7.1 im not really bothered.

More about : sound card option

Related resources
July 22, 2010 8:51:53 PM

Are you thinking of building a new rig?

Sound cards today are integrated into the mobos, and provide good enough sound, either 2.1 or 5.1 in most cases.

Or are you just going to buy a replacement motherboard?

PCI or ISA slotted sound card?
m
l
July 22, 2010 9:07:44 PM

Uh well for generic 2.1 audio and if you're not an audiophile, motherboard "HD" audio will suit you fine. Otherwise, well, really depends on your budget. Sub $100 something like Xonar DX (the slim one) or Creative XFi Titanium would be ok (or the HT Striker Omega I hear is good). If you want a big step up for only a little more cash, AuzenTech Bravura or Forte are great. If you want more, Xonar D2X or AuzenTech HD HomeTheater are rather good.
m
l
July 22, 2010 9:53:09 PM

It really depends what your "limited budget" is. At $150, I'd recommend the Auzentech Forte over anything else. Under $100, probably a Xonar DX/DS as suggested above. All three of these are low-profile PCIe cards so will take up less space for the most part, though they're a bit long, and are quality cards.
m
l
July 23, 2010 4:47:01 AM

i would say at about 100~150 SGD (singapore dollars)
i do not like onboard sound cards. my ears are pretty sensitive and i can hear that the audio is somewhat "cut-off" especially when lots of drums and guitar at the same time which they seem to cancel off each other's sound. my 5 year old ECS mobo was better than my 3year old gigabyte's lol. Im planning to build a brand new rig.

I forgot to add in that im using Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers. are they "good"? so far i found them okay for its price.
m
l
!