Just bought an M4 and my motherboard is SATA2 only

yonyz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Hello there,

Yesterday I placed an order for a 64GB Crucial M4 SSD.
The SSD is SATA3 but it's also compatible with SATA2, and I wonder if I'm gonna notice a significant difference in "real world usage"?

Solution

SATA 3 helps with the faster sequential read transfer rate. According to http://www.anandtech.com/show/4253/the-crucial-m4-micron-c400-ssd-review/, the sequential write transfer rate of the 64GB version is up to 95MB/s. Larger SSDs are significantly faster.

yonyz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I see what you mean.

My old iPod touch's screen looked stunning, and then came the Retina display.

Well, I guess switching from HDD to SSD is a huge improvement in any case, right?

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
This is kind of funny actually because I did the same thing a few months ago. All I can say is that this thing is still pretty fast and light years ahead of an HDD. But I mainly bought one because their so reliable (NEVER buying OCZ again!).

F.Y.I. the write speeds are largely unaffected by SATA II on this drive.

SATA 3 helps with the faster sequential read transfer rate. According to http://www.anandtech.com/show/4253/the-crucial-m4-micron-c400-ssd-review/, the sequential write transfer rate of the 64GB version is up to 95MB/s. Larger SSDs are significantly faster.

Solution

yonyz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
No, it's not the purpose at all.
I bought an SSD not because I need specifically an SSD, but because I needed another hard disk, and not for the extra GBs.

I currently have 2 operating systems installed on my HDD, both of which are Mac OS X Lion.

I would like to install Windows 7 for video games but I can't have another partition of a different scheme on that HDD, so I'll move both current OSs to the SSD and install Windows on the current HDD.

The cheapest HDD I found is 300 shekels (160GB) and the M4 64GB is 380 shekels, so I figured it's time to upgrade.