Motherboard Problems with HP notebook

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2004 8:02:38 PM

After replacing a bad motherboard on my HP ze1250 notebook with a
brand new motherboard, I've got a whole new problem.

The motherboard lights up and the fan comes on for like 1 to 2 seconds
then shuts back off. The battery is charging, so I know the AC power
to it is fine. Just refuses to fully power up.

Anyone experienced this problem, or know what it means?

My first inclination is that the CPU is bad, but it worked fine in the
old motherboard (replaced motherboard because of bad AC connection).

I'd appreciate any light anyone could shed on this.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2004 11:03:40 PM

scewing wrote:
> After replacing a bad motherboard on my HP ze1250 notebook with a
> brand new motherboard, I've got a whole new problem.
>
> The motherboard lights up and the fan comes on for like 1 to 2 seconds
> then shuts back off. The battery is charging, so I know the AC power
> to it is fine. Just refuses to fully power up.
>
> Anyone experienced this problem, or know what it means?
>
> My first inclination is that the CPU is bad, but it worked fine in the
> old motherboard (replaced motherboard because of bad AC connection).
>
> I'd appreciate any light anyone could shed on this.
>
> Thanks

Check RAM. It sound like it is not even passing POST and that is RAM or
HD typically. Can you boot from floppy or CD and check the HD?

a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
October 5, 2004 11:05:55 PM

It doesnt even get that far. The hard drive doesnt even start to spin
up. And no, no heat problems either. Since it never really gets
going, no heat can build up. I also checked and reseated the ram.
After the power button is pressed, the leds come on for the power
button and the I/O led, and the fan begins to spin up. Then after
about 1 second (if that), all lights go out and fan stops.

Honestly, I'm thinking this particular model has got to be one of the
most horribly engineered laptops I've seen. At least the solder job
on the AC adapter jack to the motherboard. Ebay seems to be loaded
with used motherboards for this model most with broken ac adapter
jacks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 1:02:52 PM

If you used the same CPU chances are it shorted the BUS in the
origional board. (this is why it died).. Change the cpu if ram doesnt
help and We'll buy the inop board if you'd like to sell..
www.ikenfixit.com
!