Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte HD3870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2010 6:25:41 PM

Hello, I recently upgraded to a 5770 (It was at a much better $209, compared to the very steep $600+ for the 5870), and want to put my old Gigabyte HD3870 in my brother's machine.

When i put the card in and hook everything up and press the power button, nothing happens, however, if the card is removed (it still won't power up even if the card's power is unplugged), the computer fires up normally.

He has a 400w power supply, and despite the manual saying that is what the card needs, i still think it's a power related issue.

What I'm wondering is if, say, a 450w or 500w would be sufficient to get it going.

The reason for the gradual rise of power above is due to budget restraints, as my brother can't afford the $200 620w i have, and in all honesty, I don't think he really needs that much anyways.

Well there's the problem, so let's see what everyone thinks.

More about : gigabyte hd3870

April 16, 2010 6:54:54 PM

That could definitely be a PSU issue (sounds like it is quite likely from the circumstances). A 3870 will run fine on a good quality 450 or 500W PSU easily. It will even run fine on a good quality 400W. Look for a Corsair or Antec or Seasonic or similar PSU in the 400-500W range and you should be set. It might be worth trying his PC with your PSU though just to make sure it boots with a different PSU- verifies that is what he actually needs;-)
April 16, 2010 7:05:15 PM

As i said above, I have a 620w power supply and it works with the card.

The board is AMD, and the card is ATi, well it's a Gigabyte but had ATi logos and Crossfire Ready stickers on the box.

The card worked fine with this power supply.

My brother's computer though has an Intel board, so I'm not sure if the card would work in it or not.

Everything else checks out; CPU, RAM, etc...

I'm thinking it needs more power to run or it simply won't work in his computer regardless. an d i hope that's not the case.
Related resources
April 16, 2010 7:08:32 PM

That is probably the case, what I suggest doing though is (just to verify before you spend a bunch of money) take the PSU out of your computer and plug it into your brothers- this will verify that it truly is the PSU and not some other compatibility issue.
April 16, 2010 7:15:05 PM

Yeah- just keeps you from spending money on something that you could find out later wasn't the problem at all:-)
April 17, 2010 3:58:01 AM

Agreed. It is better to be sure than sorry.
April 24, 2010 5:39:24 AM

Success! I found the culprit after tearing all my (very few remaining) hair out.

First i plugged my 620w into his computer and the card ran as it should, so i suggested to him to go and buy a new power supply.

Then he bought a 550w power supply and........it still wouldn't work.

The problem after everything i checked was that 6-pin connector that goes into the card to power it.

It had black and yellow cables and was a converter connector.

So i grabbed the converter that i found from the actual card which i didn't even know i had, and she's working great.
April 25, 2010 12:17:20 AM

Glad to hear that you found the problem and that now you can join in the gaming world again.
!