13roar888

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I am using a T9600 c2d in a Dell notebook, and I know that laptop processors are built for higher operating temperatures. I play a lot of games on my computer, and some of the more demanding ones have caused my core temps to hit the high 80s, like 89C. I was wondering if I should be concerned about this, since 89C is very hot.

Solution
It's on the warm side, but within the rated spec. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you could get something like one of those notebook coolers.

It might also have some dust in it, which is preventing it from cooling to the best of its abilities. Unless it's brand new (in which case it obviously is dust-free), you might try blowing out the vents with some canned air or something like that.

(Oh, and ComputerRock, nice job chosing a link from 2006 to try to make your point. Dell isn't that bad, and several of their computers are quite nice, though there are some other manufacturers that I like a bit more [such as Lenovo])

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
It is very hot, dell makes poor, well anything. Check this link out:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1042700/dell-laptop-explodes-japanese-conference
But seriously you can't really do anything about it except buy something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Laptop+COoler
Of those I would suggest this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997410&cm_re=Laptop_COoler-_-34-997-410-_-Product
Why, because its the one I one and it made a laptop that would shortout from heat to stay a nice 40c. Which is almost as frosty as a laptop can get

It's on the warm side, but within the rated spec. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you could get something like one of those notebook coolers.

It might also have some dust in it, which is preventing it from cooling to the best of its abilities. Unless it's brand new (in which case it obviously is dust-free), you might try blowing out the vents with some canned air or something like that.

(Oh, and ComputerRock, nice job chosing a link from 2006 to try to make your point. Dell isn't that bad, and several of their computers are quite nice, though there are some other manufacturers that I like a bit more [such as Lenovo])

Solution

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Didn't think it was really relevant just some fun info, unfortunately the only dell's i've ever dealt with have been laptops and my school's dells which are horribly slow, especially when you try to use AutoCad.
Dell isn't bad, I just wouldn't ever recommend them to anybody looking for a laptop.

That's likely because your school was cheap, not because dells are bad. I own two dell laptops right now (I just got a new M11x to replace my old XPS M1710), and they are pretty nice. I wouldn't recommend the Inspirons though - I've seen too many people have bad luck with them.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I'll accept that, except my school is fairly nice, they just have no idea how computers work and which ones to buy. We got new computers this year, sporting the new Pentium 4 and celeron cpus and they managed to pay +$1000for each (not dells) the dells actualy outperform these.