Illmatix

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hello, this was my hand built computer until the problem below appeared.

Ok so heres whats happened.
- When I turn on my computer, everything lights up, fans spinning, mobo lights on, cpu fan spinning. Everything!
But I receive no response from the monitor (the monitor I have checked already and is fine). I check my gpu and the fan on it is on about. So I check all my data cords and power connectors. They all checked out to be in the right position.

- I reset the CMOS and memory. Still i see that nothing is happening. I returned my mobo, got the new one and still nothing happens. I even have a little post screen for cpu temps and for error messages. Nothing pops up on it.

- I've checked everything and everything is compatible with one another. The computer was working until the no post sign came up. ( I even swapped vid cards and vga cables) I didn't shock the computer either.

Does any think they know what is wrong!!!!

Solution
If you've got an underpowered PSU, unplugging extra hardware may allow it to POST. So, if you unplug all the extras as suggested above, it can still be a PSU issue. A PC can still POST with a bad CD/DVD drive, hard drive, and some ad-on cards.

Illmatix

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
@xaira I haven't but I don't know if thats the problem. And if it is I don't know how to isolate it.

@Nils Yes and I've connected mouse, keyboard and spearks, they all work but nothing happens.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Just to be sure: with speaker I mean that little speaker that just beeps when the system passes post, not the speakers you use to listen to music etc.

Already tried booting with only one stick of ram? Try all slots.

Illmatix

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
@xaira I will try that.

@Nils No I don't hear that little beep from it. ( I use to before my comp stoped working)
I have also tried all the ram combinations for the slots ( 4 total).

@Aford10 I have a 4 pin connecting into the correct socket. But I'll have to try a different psu

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

Try with another psu, but if that doesn't solve the problem, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it to get it working again.

Illmatix

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Do you think a computer repair store might help me out for free on that one? Because I don't know anyone who can lend me a psu and I don't want to drop $50+ on something new and not work.

popatim

Titan
check all the motherboard capacitors for ozzing, puffiness, domed tops...
make sure the reset button isn't stuck in.

Remove all add in card except the gpu and Disconnect all drives.
If it posts now, turn it off and plug in 1 drive/add in card and try to post again,
repeat until you find the bad drive/card

If it still won't post turn it off and remove all the ram. When it posts it should beep for you though it may take a while.
If it beeps now, power off and install 1 stick of ram and try to post again.
keep adding ram until it doesnt post.

Illmatix

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

I will try and see what happens. Thanks!

If you've got an underpowered PSU, unplugging extra hardware may allow it to POST. So, if you unplug all the extras as suggested above, it can still be a PSU issue. A PC can still POST with a bad CD/DVD drive, hard drive, and some ad-on cards.

Solution

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

I would give it a try.