Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R REV. 2

Last response: in Motherboards
February 4, 2011 6:47:03 AM

My rig:
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R REV. 2(factory BIOS FB)
I7-950 Bloomfield 3.06 GHz D0
Corsair 3x2Gb Cmp6gx3m3a1600c8
2xWD1002FAEX 6Gbps, 64MB, 7200 RPM Caviar Black RAID0 128KB stripe
Sapphire Radeon 4830
Antec NeoPower 500W

I enabled the XHD, set it to AHCI, disabled the Marvell and JMicron controllers on the board and set up the RAID array on the ICH10R. The drives are on the SATA 0 and 1 ports. I installed Windows without any special drives for the controller.
This is my first attempt at RAID and I really don't know what I'm doing. Could anyone tell me if I did it right, because I can feel no significant improvement(suggestion of bandwidth test)? Any remarks, advice?
Also I have to get an ODD in there and I don't know where to put it. If I put it also on the ICH10R will it cut bandwidth from the RAID array?

More about : gigabyte x58a ud3r rev

a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 5:07:06 PM

If you created the RAID in the BIOS which it sounds like you did you are "RAIDed" WIndow s7 comaints the drivers needed for the intel controller so you dont need to install them.

Down this http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldI... It is Intels Rapid Storage Technology, it will tell you the status of your RAID array.

For Benchmarking alot of people use HD Tune, which has a free trial limited to reading only. Crystal Disk Mark is also popular. Tell us your results from HD Tune we can tell you if your results are normal.

For more performance in the Intel Utility there will be an option for caching. That will give you additional performance, I dont know if you will notice it though.

My 3x 6400AALS in RAID 0 are about 300MB/s throughput if I recall correctly, it has been awhile since I benched it.
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 5:47:01 PM

Transfer Rate (Buffer To Disk) 126 MB/s (Max) ; per WD.

Here's some results with the WD1002FAEX RAID 0 and non-RAID. However, the tests are somewhat different with HD Tune 1000 GB vs 2000 GB!

RAID 0 WD1002FAEX:

Single HDD WD1002FAEX:

ref - http://www.ocxph.com/forum/index.php?topic=182.0
Related resources
March 4, 2011 3:41:58 PM

Here's mine. Sry i took so long, i've been really busy

I have to get an ODD in there and I don't know where to put it. If I put it also on the ICH10R will it cut bandwidth from the RAID array? (actually this resul has a DVD-ROM incorporated...does this affect it?)
March 6, 2011 8:56:57 AM

Downloaded the Intels Rapid Storage Technology and it bluescreened at the restart required, had startup repair start and after it finally got windows to start, the application wasn't working.
!