Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XMP?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 4, 2011 7:52:56 AM

Hello,
My computer will not boot if I use the XMP setting in BIOS. I have used it before with success. Even though my memory doesn't say XMP, Gskill told me all of their memory is XMP and that is the setting they recommend. I have used it before but it will not boot if set their now. I tried one stick of memory by itself and it will boot. I tried the other stick by itself and it will boot. However, when I try with both sticks it will not boot. I haven't changed anything other than restore my system a couple of times with Acronis. I get an error message saying that "the boot sequence failed because a required device is inaccesible. In order to get the system to boot I have to clear my CMOS and reset my BIOS. I have two hard drives. My primary drive has Windows 7-64 bit. My secondary drive has XP home 32-bit. My computer will boot to the XP drive with the XMP setting but not the Windows 7 drive unless I use only one stick of RAM. I have updated my BIOS to 1504 but I reverted back to 1404 but that made no difference. I have all of the latest drivers installed from the ASUS website. Anyone have any thoughts?
My board is an ASUS Asus P7P55D-E and the memory is Gskill F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO Eco PC3-12800 I wanted to use XMP to get my memory to run at the listed 1600. I have enabled DOCP and overclocked my memory that way and it works fine but not with XMP?

More about : xmp

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 117 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 12:13:35 PM

To use XMP you must save the profile and make sure the dram voltage is set to vendor's specs.
m
l
February 4, 2011 2:06:00 PM

I didn't do either but I'll try both. The voltage according to Gskill is 1.35 volts. I wonder why I was able to boot into windows 7 with one stick or into xp with both without saving a profile or setting the voltage. Thanks for the reply.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 117 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 3:08:41 PM

deertroy1 said:
I didn't do either but I'll try both. The voltage according to Gskill is 1.35 volts. I wonder why I was able to boot into windows 7 with one stick or into xp with both without saving a profile or setting the voltage. Thanks for the reply.

Your ram defaults to mobo defaults which are 1333Mhz and 1.5v dram regardless of the ram vendor's spec.
To run your ram at specified specs enable XMP and adjust the voltage to 1.35v save and exit.
Download CPU-Z and click the memory tab to see your ram speed and timings.
m
l

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 4:56:33 PM

Hmm...I would stay with P7P55D-E 1504 BIOS and not go backwards; this can create a problem if another chipset e.g. Marvell is also flashed.

BIOS:
AI Overclocker Tuner -> XMP
{verify the DRAM Frequency & CAS Timings 1600 MHz and 7-8-7-24-2N; might require restart}
Save & Exit

Keep in mind XMP is a hit or miss and unfortunately doesn't always work; failure = post failure or a BSOD. Typically, if the plan is to OC the CPU I don't use XMP. Setting the frequency, timings, and voltage(s) takes a minute or two and in OC I don't like the DRAM voltage being Auto.
February 12, 2011 11:19:45 PM

It was the Dram voltage. XMP set it at 1.35. I bumped it to 1.3625 but still got 70 errors after two passes of memetest. I then bumped it to 1.375 and ran over twelve passes of memtest with no errors.
Thanks for your help.
m
l
February 23, 2011 10:35:59 AM

Best answer selected by deertroy1.
m
l
!