Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel to limit Sandy Bridge overclocking?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a c 203 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b å Intel
July 22, 2010 9:42:05 PM

Slightly disturbing idea if true. Or is Intel looking to come AMD's rescue in the enthusiast market segment?
Maybe a marketing plan to push the premium K model CPUs.
The sampling Sandy Bridge CPUs out in the wild are not limited in overclocking.

@ Bit-Tech: Intel plans to deliberately limit Sandy Bridge overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 6:51:38 PM

:ouch:  :ouch:  :ouch:  :ouch:  WOW! i knew intel wanted to control everything, but this is insane!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 8:18:23 PM

wow. i dont care how well it performs now, intel just shot their enthusiast market, which practically WAS their market.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 8:20:05 PM

atleast its on 32nm, so the stock clocks will be higher than now. even so, this just killed intel if this works out how i think, paying 2x the cost for a letter "K" on the end of the cpu number.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 8:46:30 PM

Oh hell, they said the same about the i5 750 when it was yet to be released. My 4GHz OC proves that wrong.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 8:49:38 PM

Hell, let them do it. We will see the enthusiast market explode with AMD processors. This I won't mind too terribly since I'm not exactly worried about taxing any current processor for quite a few years and the LGA 1155 and LGA 2011 BS has already pissed me off.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 8:51:20 PM

what about LGA 2011 has pissed you off exactly? and yeah, they SAID it about the i5, they just TESTED it on SB, big difference. If i got results showing i5 couldnt be oc'ed, i would have been worried, but people just spred rumors about it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 8:52:37 PM

ares1214 said:
what about LGA 2011 has pissed you off exactly? and yeah, they SAID it about the i5, they just TESTED it on SB, big difference. If i got results showing i5 couldnt be oc'ed, i would have been worried, but people just spred rumors about it.


The fact that it exists so soon after LGA 1366 was released, especially with the not-so competitive CPU market.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 8:57:12 PM

I dont have 1156, but if i did, i think id be extremely pissed at how i have to buy a whole new motherboard and CPU just because they wanted to take one pin away and move one pin somewhere else. If they are gonna do that for whatever reason, they could have atleast made it backwards/forwards compatible like AMD did. Luckily i have am3, so im set :kaola:  and yeah, intel released 1366 in 2008, and its gonna be getting close to 2012 when socket "2011" comes out.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 11:54:09 PM

ares1214 said:
I dont have 1156, but if i did, i think id be extremely pissed at how i have to buy a whole new motherboard and CPU just because they wanted to take one pin away and move one pin somewhere else. If they are gonna do that for whatever reason, they could have atleast made it backwards/forwards compatible like AMD did. Luckily i have am3, so im set :kaola:  and yeah, intel released 1366 in 2008, and its gonna be getting close to 2012 when socket "2011" comes out.


LGA 1366 was released, basically, in 2009 and it will be early 2011 when LGA 2011 is supposed to come out, possibly earlier since Sandy Bridge is ahead of schedule.

I don't really care about the sockets for myself, I wont be upgrading my CPU or MB for a few years anyway. I doubt my CPU will be bottlenecking any games for 2-3 years to come, especially with overclocking.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 11:57:33 PM

they said 1155 is early 2011 or late 2010, "2011" is suppost to come mid to late 2011 last i heard.
m
0
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b å Intel
July 24, 2010 11:57:53 PM

AMW1011 said:
Oh hell, they said the same about the i5 750 when it was yet to be released. My 4GHz OC proves that wrong.
I thought that sounded familiar. They said the same thing before the first Nehalems were released too.
Overclockers News analysis
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 12:06:11 AM

the only thing im worried about is that SB is suppost to owe a decent amount of its improvements over nehalem TO the 1 controller. im thinking disabling that and spreading the load will make motherboards more expensive, with less variety, and make it slower than it was meant to be. i have no clue, time will tell, but i think we have 4 options

1. spread the load, lose speed, be able to oc to make up the difference (and more?)

2. Buy a extremely overpriced "K" edition CPU

3. Take the hit and dont OC

4. Switch to AMD, granted it puts up a fight at stock and OC speeds.
m
0
l
July 25, 2010 4:48:46 AM

ares1214 said:
wow. i dont care how well it performs now, intel just shot their enthusiast market, which practically WAS their market.


Intel vastly out-sell AMD and 99.9% of PC users don't overclock their CPUs.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 4:52:35 AM

Yeah even if no enthusiast will touch Intel's new processors, they won't really take a hit at all as we don't matter much to them.
m
0
l
July 25, 2010 5:00:38 AM

AMW1011 said:
Yeah even if no enthusiast will touch Intel's new processors, they won't really take a hit at all as we don't matter much to them.

ohh ur cat is so angry......lol..... :ouch: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 5:01:55 AM

:D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 5:49:21 AM

Yeah I agree randomizer. Lets say this is all true, I really doubt that these "K" series CPUs will be that overpriced. I mean, you can get an i5 750 for $200 and annihilate any other Intel processor in almost every circumstance just by tweaking a few settings, I'm not surprised Intel is try to cash in on that.

That said, a part of me would really love to see BullDozer be competitive and Intel to make the decision of overpricing these "K" processors so AMD can dominate the enthusiast market.

Though, at the end of the day my reaction to this news and the conspiracy theories in this thread remains at: Meh.

Intel doesn't need any revenue from the enthusiast sector, we really are the very tiny minority of their consumer base.

Also, the CPU simply is not the bottleneck it has always been, nor do I know of any non-professional/business applications that need more horsepower than what we currently have, especially with the surge of GPU-base processing, including the complete CPU emulation capabilities of DX11 and OpenGL/CL.
m
0
l
!