Upgrade an old computer

I am using an old athlon xp 1400 and would like to speed up the system. I would like to replace the the processor and MOB. I want to keep the enclosure which is an old antec with a 350 PWS. I also would like to have access to the IDE drive. What parts can anyone recommend?
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade computer
  1. What is your budget? Do you know which Antec case you have? Give your current computer specifications please.
  2. Ok to be honest you are not really going to be able to keep anything from that old PC. If you get a new motherboard you will need a new CPU and new RAM and a new power supply and a new hard drive and you see where I am going with this. All the standards have changed since that Athlon was new and about the only way to find old parts is ebay and I would not buy used computer parts myself.

The case may be reusable but that would be about it. Trying to reuse those old parts in a modern machine would be like buying a Ferrari and installing some VW Bug parts just becasue they are laying around. Bad idea.

If you will follow the guidelines listed here : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
    Then we can help you better.
  3. Given an Athlon XP 1400, your RAM will need to be replaced also.

Because your system is so old, your PSU may also need to be replaced. It likely is a very old design with most of the power produced as 5V, whereas new hardware needs more 12V power.
  4. Proximon said:
    Given an Athlon XP 1400, your RAM will need to be replaced also.

Because your system is so old, your PSU may also need to be replaced. It likely is a very old design with most of the power produced as 5V, whereas new hardware needs more 12V power.

I need to check the power supply. I believe it has molex and sata connectors plus a 4 pin. I believe PCI e requires a different pin.
  5. Just get back to us with full specs including the model number of the PSU, and we'll have a better idea.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Windows XP Systems