Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade an old computer

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2010 5:24:12 AM

I am using an old athlon xp 1400 and would like to speed up the system. I would like to replace the the processor and MOB. I want to keep the enclosure which is an old antec with a 350 PWS. I also would like to have access to the IDE drive. What parts can anyone recommend?

More about : upgrade computer

May 18, 2010 6:09:24 AM

What is your budget? Do you know which Antec case you have? Give your current computer specifications please.
May 18, 2010 6:25:28 AM

Ok to be honest you are not really going to be able to keep anything from that old PC. If you get a new motherboard you will need a new CPU and new RAM and a new power supply and a new hard drive and you see where I am going with this. All the standards have changed since that Athlon was new and about the only way to find old parts is ebay and I would not buy used computer parts myself.

The case may be reusable but that would be about it. Trying to reuse those old parts in a modern machine would be like buying a Ferrari and installing some VW Bug parts just becasue they are laying around. Bad idea.

If you will follow the guidelines listed here : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
Then we can help you better.

Related resources
May 18, 2010 6:26:31 AM

Given an Athlon XP 1400, your RAM will need to be replaced also.

Because your system is so old, your PSU may also need to be replaced. It likely is a very old design with most of the power produced as 5V, whereas new hardware needs more 12V power.
May 18, 2010 10:20:35 PM

Proximon said:
Given an Athlon XP 1400, your RAM will need to be replaced also.

Because your system is so old, your PSU may also need to be replaced. It likely is a very old design with most of the power produced as 5V, whereas new hardware needs more 12V power.

I need to check the power supply. I believe it has molex and sata connectors plus a 4 pin. I believe PCI e requires a different pin.
May 18, 2010 11:41:09 PM

Just get back to us with full specs including the model number of the PSU, and we'll have a better idea.
!