I got into all this rather late. I have some questions about the
development of players' understanding of TR1 (primarily though not
exclusively) tactics.

When did Core publish the first strategy book for TR1?

Who created the first walkthrough for TR1?

Who first discovered that if you did not fire at the humans in TR1
then they would not appear in later levels?

What on earth is the three-tailed and four-headed raptor and is not
firing at all in the Lost Valley the only way of getting to see it?

"Al Mirpuri" wrote

> I got into all this rather late. I have some questions about the
> development of players' understanding of TR1 (primarily though not
> exclusively) tactics.
>
> When did Core publish the first strategy book for TR1?
>
> Who created the first walkthrough for TR1?
>
> Who first discovered that if you did not fire at the humans in TR1
> then they would not appear in later levels?
>
> What on earth is the three-tailed and four-headed raptor and is not
> firing at all in the Lost Valley the only way of getting to see it?

No idea on the history stuff, but might be interesting trivia to find out.
Not sure, but I think Theresa's site with Jeff Reid's walk throughs may have
predated Stella, but I'm just guessing. No idea if they were "the first"
tho...

Stella is still carrying the flame at least! :)

Anyway Snark^ or McG would probably know, and they haven't posted for a
while I don't think.

"Pinging New Zealand! Pinging Houston!"

> When did Core publish the first strategy book for TR1?

I wasn't even aware that the did.

> Who created the first walkthrough for TR1?

The first one I'm aware of was an all text walkthrough, which
I still have a copy of. I don't have the url, but the email
address is dsscd@cris.com.

I have some notes on this counting how much ammo Lara accumulated
during TR1, like 94 shotgun shells, 3000 mag rounds, 7800 uzi rounds,
56 Large Med kits, 58 Small med kits (plus that s one large one requiring
corner bug to get to.

> Who first discovered that if you did not fire at the humans in TR1
> then they would not appear in later levels?

This only works within a level. The Cistern is one of the best places
to use this trick. There are 3 potential places for Pierre to show up,
2 of them are at awkward places to deal with Pierre at. The strategy
is for Lara to run into the room with the grated floor over the
water, drop down the hole and swim out. Pierre appears as Lara enters
this room, and will remain there, while Lara can explore the rest
of the Cistern Level without having to mess with Pierre. I was the
first to post about this, but others may have discovered this also.
This will work at the Colleseum as well, but Lara is going to have
to put up with Pierre for a bit as she exits the first area.

> What on earth is the three-tailed and four-headed raptor and is not
> firing at all in the Lost Valley the only way of getting to see it?

As posted, it's just all the critters bunched up together. Theresa
has listed a few experts challenges. I've come up with a few of my
own, and I usually include the results in my savegames which are now
at Stella's site.

I don't know who discovered the corner bug, but it was fairly early on.
When TR1UB came out, I discovered the drop bug, where Lara can drop down
a shaft yet move forwards past it if she presses action. A similar
bug is for Lara to hop back with action, but release action before
she grabs. Lara will drop and move forwards, landing on a ledge
directly below another ledge (or most openings in the game). This
can be used to drop into the safe in Bartoli's hideout. I also
discovered the fence bug, but others found it at the same time.
I'm not sure who discovered the movable block bug (similar to
the fence bug, Lara can jump between the seam formed by a
corner of a movable block in some spots.

The other good bug is the side-step on a collapsable tile bug.
Lara will just appear down below, without taking any damage.

Once Lara could crawl, there was the crawl varation of the
corner bug.

Al Mirpuri wrote:
> I got into all this rather late. I have some questions about the
> development of players' understanding of TR1 (primarily though not
> exclusively) tactics.
>
> When did Core publish the first strategy book for TR1?
>
> Who created the first walkthrough for TR1?
>
> Who first discovered that if you did not fire at the humans in TR1
> then they would not appear in later levels?
>
> What on earth is the three-tailed and four-headed raptor and is not
> firing at all in the Lost Valley the only way of getting to see it?

Can't answer any of those but the last one ...

The "three-tailed, four-headed" raptor is an illusion created when the
raptors in that level all occupy the same spot at the same time. You
can get this effect if do not kill them, and then have Lara lead them
into a confined space.

I think that appeared as a screen shot over in a.b.l.c from ...
<scratches head> ... can't remember who posted it!

--

Pistol Whipped

"Al Mirpuri" <al-mirpuri@talk21.com> wrote in message
> I got into all this rather late. I have some questions about the
> development of players' understanding of TR1 (primarily though not
> exclusively) tactics.
>
> When did Core publish the first strategy book for TR1?
>
> Who created the first walkthrough for TR1?
>
> Who first discovered that if you did not fire at the humans in TR1
> then they would not appear in later levels?
>
> What on earth is the three-tailed and four-headed raptor and is not
> firing at all in the Lost Valley the only way of getting to see it?

3 tailed, 4 headed raptor? If you don't shoot anything in the lost valley?

Methinks you've been taken for a ride, friend...although stranger things
have happenned in the TR universe.....

"Jeff Reid" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > When did Core publish the first strategy book for TR1?

<snippy mc snip snip>

> As posted, it's just all the critters bunched up together. Theresa
> has listed a few experts challenges. I've come up with a few of my
> own, and I usually include the results in my savegames which are now
> at Stella's site.
>
> I don't know who discovered the corner bug, but it was fairly early on.
> When TR1UB came out, I discovered the drop bug, where Lara can drop down
> a shaft yet move forwards past it if she presses action.

Isn't this just a variant on the usual jump-distance dynamics naturally
inherent?

You can alter the distance that Lara will jump by holding or releasing
action after a certain amount of time during a normal forward jump.

>A similar
> bug is for Lara to hop back with action, but release action before
> she grabs. Lara will drop and move forwards, landing on a ledge
> directly below another ledge (or most openings in the game). This
<snip>

> > When TR1UB came out, I discovered the drop bug, where Lara can drop down
> > a shaft yet move forwards past it if she presses action.
>
> Isn't this just a variant on the usual jump-distance dynamics naturally
> inherent?

> You can alter the distance that Lara will jump by holding or releasing
> action after a certain amount of time during a normal forward jump.

Pressing action during a jump normally causes Lara to travel less
distance, not more. The drop bug was unusual in that Lara could
run and drop down a long shaft, yet end up beyond the boundaries
of the shaft when she landed. In "the hive" level of TR1 UB,
this drop bug can be used for Lara to land on top of the inner
pyramid (instead of the side of it, where she slides down).
In another level of TR1UB, there are 2 "vents" over small
lava pits, but using the drop bug, Lara can use the "vents"
as a shortcut, since she'll land beyond the lava pits.

The hop back with action bug has more places to be used.
Lara can drop from ledge to ledge this way very quickly.
In TR1's St Francis Folly level, this can be use to get
into the secret door near the exit very easily.

"Jeff Reid" wrote

<snip>

> This only works within a level. The Cistern is one of the best places
> to use this trick. There are 3 potential places for Pierre to show up,
> 2 of them are at awkward places to deal with Pierre at. The strategy
> is for Lara to run into the room with the grated floor over the
> water, drop down the hole and swim out. Pierre appears as Lara enters
> this room, and will remain there, while Lara can explore the rest
> of the Cistern Level without having to mess with Pierre. I was the
> first to post about this, but others may have discovered this also.
> This will work at the Colleseum as well, but Lara is going to have
> to put up with Pierre for a bit as she exits the first area.

Never knew about that one. Will have to try it :)

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
warbled on about "Re: Discovering Tombraider Plays" in a.g.t <<=

> "Al Mirpuri" wrote
> > Who created the first walkthrough for TR1?
>
> No idea on the history stuff, but might be interesting trivia to find out.
> Not sure, but I think Theresa's site with Jeff Reid's walk throughs may have
> predated Stella, but I'm just guessing. No idea if they were "the first"
> tho...

Wooo. Ancient history. Was my top subject in skool. Well, when it
featured swords, massed battles and people getting chopped up at least.

IIRC Theresa's walkthrough was the first one I can remember, mainly
because her TR site was the one to really take off -- certainly she was
the only one who suffered bandwidth problems due to people looking her
site up. Longer-missing-than-I, Andy Clay, had one up for a while that
might have predated Theresa's though.

Wonder if Theresa's still wrestlin' bears or whatever it was she did in
her spare time? Or playing games for her little girl (who must be
nearly 8 or so now?)

> "Pinging New Zealand! Pinging Houston!"

"Do you remember a guy that's been,
in such an early song.
I heard a rumour from ground control
*Oh no, don't say it's true*
They got a message from the action man!
I'm happy... hope you're happy too..."

--
Hours spent gaming last week: 34 Online/Single player: 0
Last game(s) finished: Civ3 (Babylonians on King)

"snark^" wrote

> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
> warbled on about "Re: Discovering Tombraider Plays" in a.g.t <<=
>
> > "Al Mirpuri" wrote
> > > Who created the first walkthrough for TR1?
> >
> > No idea on the history stuff, but might be interesting trivia to find
out.
> > Not sure, but I think Theresa's site with Jeff Reid's walk throughs may
have
> > predated Stella, but I'm just guessing. No idea if they were "the
first"
> > tho...
>
> Wooo. Ancient history. Was my top subject in skool. Well, when it
> featured swords, massed battles and people getting chopped up at least.

Yes, who cares about stuff like who invented the lightbulb. We want to know
about *exploding* lightbulbs! Yes now that might be more interesting!

> IIRC Theresa's walkthrough was the first one I can remember, mainly
> because her TR site was the one to really take off -- certainly she was
> the only one who suffered bandwidth problems due to people looking her
> site up. Longer-missing-than-I, Andy Clay, had one up for a while that
> might have predated Theresa's though.

Is that why she finally gave it up? Don't think I ever heard any
explanation. That might have been about the same time as a number of people
were complaining about their providers not giving them enough bandwidth
tho...

I guess Andy Clay pre-dates my blundering in here around the time of TR3.
I'm such a newb...

Here's one for you, and I think it's been asked before, but don't recall the
answer. Who is the esteemed founder of agt? Found a Feb 4 1997 post from
"Kevin B Black", but surely AGT's first ever maiden subject header wasn't
just a question about a sound card!

Then again maybe so...

Supposedly the first ever message on the net was something along the lines
of "this is a test"...

Engineers...they've no sense of history...

> Wonder if Theresa's still wrestlin' bears or whatever it was she did in
> her spare time? Or playing games for her little girl (who must be
> nearly 8 or so now?)

Never knew her personally, but she was nice enough to reply to a couple of
e-mails I sent about TR. :)

> > "Pinging New Zealand! Pinging Houston!"
>
> "Do you remember a guy that's been,
> in such an early song.
> I heard a rumour from ground control
> *Oh no, don't say it's true*
> They got a message from the action man!
> I'm happy... hope you're happy too..."
>

> --
> Hours spent gaming last week: 34 Online/Single player: 0
> Last game(s) finished: Civ3 (Babylonians on King)
> Currently playing: Thief3 %%%%% Perimeter %%%% Civ3 %
> Games on wishlist: HL2, STALKER, RomeTW, WoW, Soldiers:HOWW2

Let us know about RomeTW. Thursday next week should hopefully see me having
DSL so I can finally try all those demos that are too big for dail up.

And maybe not contributing to lag in on-line flight sims! :)

> > Who created the first walkthrough for TR1?
>
> The first one I'm aware of was an all text walkthrough, which
> I still have a copy of. I don't have the url, but the email
> address is dsscd@cris.com.

I downloaded this walk through 1997 February 11. It was probably
out for a bit before I downloaded it.

I didn't start posting in AGT until TR2, Jan 1998.

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "bbocquin"
warbled on about "Discovering Tombraider Plays" in a.g.t <<=

> Here's one for you, and I think it's been asked before, but don't recall
> the answer. Who is the esteemed founder of agt? Found a Feb 4 1997 post
> from "Kevin B Black", but surely AGT's first ever maiden subject header
> wasn't just a question about a sound card!

Don't trust google -- their archives are seriously incomplete, mainly
from the day when they took over teh usenet archive from dejanews.

Always the difficult copulatory questions init? Harken back to 1996?
Damnit! I can't even remember the last time this query came up (and
that was only 3 or so years ago). Curse you, gaming industry! Ruining
my long-term memory with your insidiously tacky yet instantly gratifying
products!

What's all this yelling for? Hmm, I fergets...

> > Hours spent gaming last week: 34 Online/Single player: 0
> > Last game(s) finished: Civ3 (Babylonians on King)
> > Currently playing: Thief3 %%%%% Perimeter %%%% Civ3 %
> > Games on wishlist: HL2, STALKER, RomeTW, WoW, Soldiers:HOWW2
>
> Let us know about RomeTW. Thursday next week should hopefully see me
> having DSL so I can finally try all those demos that are too big for
> dail up.

I'm finding T3 a lot of fun. It feels more like the old Deus Ex than
DXIW did: lotsa fun tooling around the maps, backstabbing, blackjacking
and pocketpicking as you go. Am I a merciless bitch who will steal
rings off the fingers of passing be-wimpled babes? -- damn right I am.
On the negative side; tiny bloody levels, annoyingly bright object/loot
glint, twitchy areas where you get stuck on ledges or in tight spots,
etc. Which is all stuff which made DXIW the legend it is today amongst
the PC gaming community. ;)

And Perimeter just has that special something. The menus look flash
enough, but the plot device setup bespakes "cheapo budget game", only
for the gameplay to actually astound. Everything in it is more
'mathmatical' than other RTS's -- you really can just sit there
calculating *exactly* how much turrets/troops of each type you need at a
particular location to win. It's just not as boring as that sounds
either.

Tried a few other demos recently (mainly strat oriented):

Soldner: can't even log onto the damn servers to find out how it plays
because they're so overloaded? -- and they didn't include a SP part in
the demo so you can see how it plays by yourself...

Ground Control 2: really enjoyed it, particularly the artillery bits.
Very nice take on the RTS genre whereby you don't have to build stuff:
it all gets delivered for you by dropship (which fits in with the
setting very nicely). You have to capture victory points, kill the
enemy to gain points to spend on those extra troops/vehicles you want to
bring in though. Would seriously consider getting this if it weren't
for...

Soldiers Heroes of WW2: the true spiritual successor to X-Com? More
individual micromanagement than GC2 but that just means more depth to
the gameplay. Each soldier has his own inventory (though no skill
levels AFAIK) and it's the point when you find yourself siphoning gas
out of a partially blown german armoured car discovered on the
battlefield, just so that can keep your Sherman tank going for another
few minutes, that you realise you're hooked... Normally I avoid WW2
games like the plague (bar H&D2) but this one transcends the setting.

Codename Gordon: freebie screen-flipping platform shooter featuring
everyone's favourite lab scientist Gordon Freeman. Available over
Valve's Steam network this just might make a few hours pass whilst we
all sit a patiently wait for HL2. :)

--
"And to close on, the Usenet Dept. of Small Consolations. Some kibo-
logist just figured out that if you allow for every troll and spammer

> > > When TR1UB came out, I discovered the drop bug, where Lara can drop
down
> > > a shaft yet move forwards past it if she presses action.
> >
> > Isn't this just a variant on the usual jump-distance dynamics naturally
> > inherent?
>
> > You can alter the distance that Lara will jump by holding or releasing
> > action after a certain amount of time during a normal forward jump.
>
> Pressing action during a jump normally causes Lara to travel less
> distance, not more. The drop bug was unusual in that Lara could
> run and drop down a long shaft, yet end up beyond the boundaries
> of the shaft when she landed. In "the hive" level of TR1 UB,
> this drop bug can be used for Lara to land on top of the inner
> pyramid (instead of the side of it, where she slides down).
> In another level of TR1UB, there are 2 "vents" over small
> lava pits, but using the drop bug, Lara can use the "vents"
> as a shortcut, since she'll land beyond the lava pits.
>
> The hop back with action bug has more places to be used.
> Lara can drop from ledge to ledge this way very quickly.
> In TR1's St Francis Folly level, this can be use to get
> into the secret door near the exit very easily.

ah...ta!

"snark^" wrote

> Always the difficult copulatory questions init? Harken back to 1996?
> Damnit! I can't even remember the last time this query came up (and
> that was only 3 or so years ago). Curse you, gaming industry! Ruining
> my long-term memory with your insidiously tacky yet instantly gratifying
> products!

Wonder who's been here the longest then? Probably either you or McG?

Someone else I overlooked?

(Winner gets a nice gold watch for "longevity"...<g>)

<snip>

> Soldiers Heroes of WW2: the true spiritual successor to X-Com? More
> individual micromanagement than GC2 but that just means more depth to
> the gameplay. Each soldier has his own inventory (though no skill
> levels AFAIK) and it's the point when you find yourself siphoning gas
> out of a partially blown german armoured car discovered on the
> battlefield, just so that can keep your Sherman tank going for another
> few minutes, that you realise you're hooked... Normally I avoid WW2
> games like the plague (bar H&D2) but this one transcends the setting.

Might try that one then. AI is pretty good? About the only WW2 game I play
is IL-2 of course, but I don't think anyone here is really into flight sims.

(Still haven't gotten LOMAC to work btw. Maybe an OT seeking video card
advice from the more tech savvy...how to get an "open GL" game to work with
a cheapo ATI card that seems to like DirectX. Think it's a model 9200 which
means it's chipset is 8200 or 8500 or something? Haven't had time to tweak
perplexing video vagaries...$39.95 and it's still just sitting in the
box... )

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions. Going to be doing a spit-load of
downloading in an effort to justify $26.95 a month for DSL. That's over
$300 a year. Ouch!