Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2010 5:55:37 AM

Here's my specifications:

Case: NZXT Guardian 921
Processor: Intel i5 750 (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Cooling: (Free Upgrade) Liquid CPU Cooling System w/120m Radiatior (SOCKET-1156)
Memory: (Free Upgrade) 4GB DDR3-1333 Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5850-1GB
Motherboard: (SLI) MSI P55-SD60
Power Supply: 650W Corsair CMPSU-650TX-SLI Ready
Hard Drvie: 500 GB 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium-64 Bit

Price: $1,235 (Includes S+H)

I've already compaired prices between IBuyPower(which is what I'm doing) and NewEgg (If I homebuilt) and I'd only save like $60, so considering that I've never installed a single component, I think IBuyPower is the way to go!

Other than any advice you can give me, the only question I have is this: Is my motherboard acceptable? Will I be able to take full advantage of my bad ass Video Card using this motherboard?

Thanks for the help! :D 

More about : advice general compatability

May 18, 2010 6:05:57 AM

What brand of "bad ass" video card *IS* that ?

What exact model ?

Water-cooler too? Brand?/Model?

m
l
May 18, 2010 9:21:03 AM

What brand type of hard drive? The sound card is a waste of money
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2010 10:11:05 AM

It appears that the video card is a Diamond
I'm not sure what brand the cooler is but it's compatability says, "Intel Socket LGA1156 and Intel Socket LGA1366"
Not sure about the HDD either, has anybody purchased from IBuyPower and knows what brands they use?
m
l
May 18, 2010 10:36:21 AM

I have. Cheap brands. I never did figure out my PSU manufacturer.
m
l

Best solution

May 18, 2010 11:28:32 AM

The issue is not just the money saved for building, if you shop around you can often find a comparible build to what you are making SPEC wise, however the key difference is the quality of components. Also, likely you would go with a different mobo (I don't know anything about that one other than it is MSI, but I rarely ever see anyone recommend an MSI board to people).

The liquid cooling is a free upgrade, but how good is it? I would rather go with a decent air cooling system that I know and trust han mystery cooling.

I am surprised your build was similar cost, I would have assumed no more than $1000 for that build.

i5 750 - $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus P7P55D-E PRO - $189.99 (6gb/s, 3.0 USB)

G Skill 4GB 2x2GB RAM - $118.99

XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 - $309.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM 16MB Cache - $54.99

SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W PSU 80 PLUS Certified - $54.99

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 - $49.99 $9.99 shipping

Sony DVD drive - $26.99

Total: $1015.91

That leaves money to buy the Hyper212+ CPU cooler for $39.99 (very good cooler) if you plan on OCing alot.

You could also get a more powerful powersupply if you wanted to CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX ($89.99, $69.99 with Rebate).

Add both of those and you have a total of $1085.99

So $150 less for quality parts you can be sure of. You could even upgrade case to HAF 922 or something like that (if you really want to) and still be at a lesser price.

You can save more money by downgrading the mobo to no XFire/SLI capability, or even further by having 3gb/s and USB2.0 if you wanted. But as it is still within your budget I would keep the higher end mobo.

You could save a few more $ by getting a different DVD drive, that just happened to be the first Dual Layer I found, but could likely replace with a $20 one.

The RAM linked is faster, you could spend extra to get even lower latency RAM.

This is all without searching for combo deals or rebates etc. so you may be able to get even cheaper a price.
May 18, 2010 11:28:58 AM

Slight edit, the HDD is 500gb not 1TB.
Including the rebate the total for the more powerful PSU and CPU coler would be $1065.91
m
l
May 18, 2010 4:44:30 PM

I really do not want you to feel any less satisfied about your build ... you bought it ... will prolly do you just fine ...

... I *DO* want to point out to any OTHER readers, that allowing some builder to choose your parts, for you, immediately creates a conflict of interest.

YOU are trying to get the BEST computer for the money ...

THEY are trying to make the most profit while enticing you with nice "looking" specs.

Any builder that does not list exact models and OR ... HAS A "right to substitute" clause ... that is a red flag.

... They get their profits out of YOUR budget ... quite simply ... something has to give ... and ... that something is quality (almost always).

Many articles and threads have covered this subject. I am barely scratching the surface of "what goes on" behind the pre-built purchase.

Hey ... if it works and the benches are in the ball-park ... no real huge reason to feel sad ...

... Just some considerations for those who are "on the fence", and have not yet pulled the lever.

= enjoy ! =
m
l
May 19, 2010 2:36:49 AM

Actually I'm still "on the fence" as well, and to be honest I'm slowly leaning towards building it myself, however I'm VERY nervous about messing it up during the building process! I see what you guy's mean about the difference in the quality of the parts. For now I'm going to create a new "Wish List" in New Egg using asteldian's list. Thanks for the help!!
m
l
May 19, 2010 5:51:45 AM

Best answer selected by wilson6488.
m
l
May 19, 2010 6:14:30 AM

One other thing worth mentioning is that asteldian's price doesn't include Windows 7 which is $200 right there, making the total by my calculation: $1,253 which isn't bad considering that the GPU, HDD, MOBO, and Cooling system are all reliable brands!
m
l
May 19, 2010 6:21:00 AM

Windows 7 is 99 dollars on newegg.com.

Windows Ultimate is closer to 200, but is not necessary
m
l
May 19, 2010 6:23:57 AM

wilson6488 said:
Actually I'm still "on the fence" as well, and to be honest I'm slowly leaning towards building it myself, however I'm VERY nervous about messing it up during the building process! I see what you guy's mean about the difference in the quality of the parts. For now I'm going to create a new "Wish List" in New Egg using asteldian's list. Thanks for the help!!

Well, ... That is the thing, now, isn't it? YOU would have to take responsibility for everything ... wouldn't you?

YOU would have to choose the parts ...

YOU would have to use the UPS tracking tools to make certain everything is en-route and on-time.

YOU have research the art and science of applying thermal paste.

You have to mount that scary CPU with over a THOUSAND pins !

You have to build the whole danged thing and figure out ALL those power connectors and drive data cables and case port connectors and ... well ...

If it doesn't work? ... YOU gotta "deal with it".

... ... Kinda cool ... huh?

= Damned good thing you have newegg ... and ... oh, yeah ... US! =

m
l
May 19, 2010 6:35:03 AM

We are better Customer Support than any prebuilt company. Know why? Because we care! Know how you can tell? We give good advice for free because we enjoy helping people enjoy the fruits of their labor.
m
l
May 19, 2010 6:49:46 AM

cmcghee358 said:
We are better Customer Support than any prebuilt company. Know why? Because we care! Know how you can tell? We give good advice for free because we enjoy helping people enjoy the fruits of their labor.

That and, because, from where WE are sitting, we can see EXACTLY how *some* companies are duping good folks and ... well ... It PISSES US OFF ! ... and ... also ... all our jobs went to India about ten years ago, so, "what the heck"? ... right?

= grin =

m
l
May 27, 2010 6:11:27 AM

As a final note, I've decided AGAINST IBuyPower, and I will be ordering all the quality components from Newegg and either building it myself, or paying a reputable local shop to build it for me! Alvin Smith's thread kinda scared me, BTW :sweat: 
m
l
May 27, 2010 1:41:33 PM

Sorry 'bout that ... ALL in YOUR best interest.

There is also an "Outward Bound" aspect to doing your own build ... Even when things do not go smoothly ... You will be a much more confident citizen of this technical society and MUCH more able to find/fix failures, etc., when you build yourself.

= Alvin =
m
l
!