Sign in with
Your question

Ssd useful only for boot?

Last response: in Storage
July 2, 2012 6:06:49 PM

i do alot of photo editing and moving at least 100GB of data per photoshoot I do and from what i heard, a ssd will speed up my workflow however moving such large amounts of data constantly will kill the ssd. am i correct to assume that with current tech ssds are best suited just for programs and boot and not constant back and forth of large data moving.

i hate to buy a relatively expensive piece of tech only to diminish its lifespan faster than normal

More about : ssd boot

a b G Storage
July 2, 2012 6:24:00 PM

Get an Intel 520 SSD. it has a 5 year warranty :) 
m
l
a c 307 G Storage
July 2, 2012 6:50:38 PM

The typical solution is to use an ssd for your operating system and software applications. Use a hard drive for your images. Use a third drive as a scratch disk. The scratch disk can be either an ssd or a hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2012 6:53:14 PM

images are already slow to load in Lightroom and I wanted to speed things up.

hmm scratch disks, havent thought about that one. how do you dedicate one in an OS?
m
l
a c 307 G Storage
July 2, 2012 7:24:25 PM

It is best to have a separate physical drive with no applications on it for a scratch disk. Professionals will usually use 3 separate drives in their systems.

BTW - I tried Lightroom. I was not impressed. Might be okay for catalogs/folders with thousands of images.
m
l
July 2, 2012 8:24:12 PM

does windows use scratch disks? or are we talking specifically about adobe here
m
l
a c 307 G Storage
July 2, 2012 8:38:50 PM

This thread is about Adobe products. In most Adobe products you can specify that a scratch disk be used and choose the scratch disk settings. There's all sorts of useful information in the Adobe forums.
m
l
!